Ugly wheel weights... (Prodrive/Brera rims) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By SLM3CFC
  • 1 Post By VeloceRagno
  • 1 Post By lussoman

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 06-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
TUT Ugly wheel weights... (Prodrive/Brera rims)

So, after much waiting finally got some prodrive rims, and had some PZero's fitted today - but somewhat distraught to get home and realise one wheel as some ******* ugly wheel weights right on view.

Wheels were straight out of the box, and I said to the guy quite politely before we started but made clear NOT to stick a load of weight where you can see it, and mentioned that anything that's really wobbly needs the tyre demounting and shifting around as needed.

Now I am thinking this is a bit and I should go back and make him balance the wheel again, and shift the tyre if needed?

Its not like they are £50 remolds... but appreciate some tyres are not well balanced and need a couple weights.

What sort of weights other people seeing on their 19" rims?
ugly-wheel-weights.jpg

(the shiny weights may make it worse I suppose, but not happy - didn't even stick them on straight!)

Giulietta QV 1750TBi (been&gone= 156, GT, Abarth 500)
Mrs TallPaul - 159TI sportwagon 2.0JTDM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
Go back and tell him where to stick them.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
It does look a bit naff, it must be possible to have them hidden away on the inside.
Just be careful that the weights don't clash with anything when you get them redone - I had some on the back of a GTV alloy. I was getting a 'clunk' every time I went over a bump in the road, spent hundreds replacing various suspension parts only to find it was one bloody weight badly positioned that was catching!

Where did you manage to get the wheels from?
I gather they're near impossible to get hold of now - even Veloces don't sell sets anymore.
Not that I went any, just curious.

Past: GTV T.Spark Lusso (owned 8 years) Present: 948 Spider LE (bought Nov. '10) Future: 8C (in my dreams )
Previously (selective): Porsche 944 Turbo; Porsche 944S; Jaguar XJ6; Audi Coupe; Mark 2 Golf GTI.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
That looks about 45g on the outside which is quite a lot but there's only so much you can do. If you paid extra to have them rotated constantly to find a low weight for the outer i would understand, otherwise you would be wasting the fitters time imo.
The tyre would only be shifted if you are seeing 60+ grams, although some fitters will just stack them up

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
John C. likes this.
Club Member

County: UK
For one thing get the correct valve stems fitted, which for Prodrive rims are stainless, not run of the mill rubber ones, because as they are they look as mess, and I 100% agree with SLM3CFC.

Saying that because of the design of the Prodrive rims you will always see the weights on the outside.

Last edited by John C.; 07-09-16 at 03:10.
AO Silver Member

County: St. Petersburg
45 gramms of balancing wheight for 25, kilos wheel is OK my view. Nothing to worry.
Too picky.
AO Member

County: -
Nope - that doesn't look good at all - I'll take them off you for a £100....
Lord_of_beard likes this.
(Post Link) post #8 of 22 Old 07-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Forgot to turn on alerts to replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
Where did you manage to get the wheels from?
I gather they're near impossible to get hold of now - even Veloces don't sell sets anymore.
Not that I went any, just curious.
So wheels are from Veloces, they have them on the website and eBay, I know Alfa sold through, I think Veloces may have had Team Dynamics (who make the wheels in the UK) do another run for them, as they had plenty when I was there the other week.

Go on, you know you want to

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLM3CFC View Post
That looks about 45g on the outside which is quite a lot but there's only so much you can do. If you paid extra to have them rotated constantly to find a low weight for the outer i would understand, otherwise you would be wasting the fitters time imo.
The tyre would only be shifted if you are seeing 60+ grams, although some fitters will just stack them up

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Yeah I was quite clear from the start that they were brand new boxed and I wanted it done best possible, even if he charged me a bit extra for the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. View Post
For one thing get the correct valve stems fitted, which for Prodrive rims are stainless, not run of the mill rubber ones, because as they are they look as mess, and I 100% agree with SLM3CFC.

Saying that because of the design of the Prodrive rims you will always see the weights on the outside.
All wheels needs some weights, they should be on that inside edge (hopefully clearing brembo's!) but on these, some of them where not even stuck on straight! which really messed with my slightly OCD love of everything as it should be

Valves are tyre place standard, not sure I would want stainless they would really stand out against the darker rim, I am ok with the standard ones, at risk of causing a riot, they are going on my guilietta, so its not originality we are going for here! I also ordered up some Guilia QV black/silver centre caps not the usual colour Alfa logo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonGiorno View Post
45 gramms of balancing wheight for 25, kilos wheel is OK my view. Nothing to worry.
Too picky.
25 Kilos wheel I bloody hope a 235/40 R19 PZero doesn't weigh 13.7Kg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceRagno View Post
Nope - that doesn't look good at all - I'll take them off you for a £100....
Thanks for offer, i'll pass ;-)

I decided I could not live with it, I mean look at this one (you can see where he started to stick half a ton on the rim then didn't after I questioned it):
dodgy_weights.jpg
Its not even in a straight line!

With hat in had and sheepish look as I asked them for a quote two days ago... I went to another local place I trust this morning (>£100 more/set, which is why I went elsewhere) and had them all re-balanced with BLACK weights and now they look perfect

No picture to share yet, same amount of weights pretty much but hardly notice them now.

They commented the rim that needed the most weights had a slight deformation like it was dropped which was frustrating, he said you could only notice is spinning on the balancer, but given I picked them up personally from Veloces (not shipped), all boxes sealed/perfect, I could not see if before and you can't visually see it so I will live with it as must be factory issue - put that one on the back.

Bling pic in the Giulietta forum once fitted
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
25 Kilos wheel I bloody hope a 235/40 R19 PZero doesn't weigh 13.7Kg!
This size is 26-29LBS depends on manufacturer. Pirelli is normally not lightest.
AO Silver Member

Quote:

So wheels are from Veloces, they have them on the website and eBay, I know Alfa sold through, I think Veloces may have had Team Dynamics (who make the wheels in the UK) do another run for them, as they had plenty when I was there the other week.

Go on, you know you want to
They're not for me, I don't think they look as good as the sexy 19'' 10-spokes on a Spider.
They do suit the Brera very well though.
Not sure about on a Giulietta either - isn't it going to look like a Brera wannabe but nowhere near as good looking?
John C. likes this.
Club Member

County: UK
Quote:
Forgot to turn on alerts to replies

Go on, you know you want to :

Quote:
Headquartered at the centre of the UKís automotive industry, Rimstock Plc design, manufacture, and supply alloy wheels, worldwide, to more than 40 countries.
The Groupís leading aftermarket alloy wheel brand Team Dynamics
The Prodrive rims are not aftermarket rims, they are original equipment on Prodrive Brera's, and made by Rimstock as such.

Rimstock | | The UK?s premier manufacturer and supplier of aluminium wheels
AO Silver Member

I'm sure I read on here somewhere that the Veloces ones were a cheaper (aftermarket) imitation?
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
You will need screw in metal valves, the rubber tyre shop ones will leak, ask me how I know.
AO Member

County: -
If the tyres had been fitted properly (dot opposite valve) you shouldn't need any weights. Always do mine that way and have never needed any weight below national speed limits - cough!!
AO Silver Member

Non weight mount is just a theory.
PZERO could be new, but not be fresh. So it could be also stored wrong way and dried unevenly.
You can hardly gain zero weight mount this case.
(Post Link) post #16 of 22 Old 11-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. View Post
The Prodrive rims are not aftermarket rims, they are original equipment on Prodrive Brera's, and made by Rimstock as such.

Rimstock | | The UK?s premier manufacturer and supplier of aluminium wheels
Yes made by rimstock, who suggested they were aftermarket (I didn't), these are genuine they have Alfa PN stamped in the rear of the rim
DSC09427.jpg
(Post Link) post #17 of 22 Old 11-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
They're not for me, I don't think they look as good as the sexy 19'' 10-spokes on a Spider.
They do suit the Brera very well though.
Not sure about on a Giulietta either - isn't it going to look like a Brera wannabe but nowhere near as good looking?
Isn't the Brera just looking like a 8c wannabe?

I quite like both on the spider, when we had the 159 I found the 10 spoke 19"'s were very heavy though, these are supposed to be lighter (11.3Kg the one I weighed, completely forgot to weigh wheel with tyre on.. this is going to annoy me now I don't know the weight...)

Obviously I like them on the Giulietta, won't say more as wrong forum but posted here for experience of those with the wheels which I really appreciate
(Post Link) post #18 of 22 Old 11-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogrip View Post
If the tyres had been fitted properly (dot opposite valve) you shouldn't need any weights. Always do mine that way and have never needed any weight below national speed limits - cough!!
I didn't notice the dot really until I was cleaning the wheels up, I noticed it was "around" the valve, if its wrong and should be opposite surprised the 2nd place I went to didn't say anything (they had no reason to hold back, I was already hat in hand I needed their help).

Anyway, if you want these rim's I recommend black weights, this is "worst" wheel:
most-weight.jpg

Can you see the weights?

Closer:
most-weight-closeup.jpg

Best your going to get I think. Massive improvement over the first effort.

I always thought the dot was lightest part of the tyre and went near the valve stem as it creates a slight additional weight?
(Post Link) post #19 of 22 Old 11-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Down View Post
You will need screw in metal valves, the rubber tyre shop ones will leak, ask me how I know.
Thanks for tip! They are on the car now, will see if I have problems!

Cause I really want to take them off and have them balanced for a 3rd time obviously!
(will say something like if I do, as took me a while to clean the adhesive from the first bodged weights - Autoglym bug and tar remover by the way is the thing to use - then I gave them a polish up to try and keep the brake dust off best I can).
(Post Link) post #20 of 22 Old 11-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
I'm sure I read on here somewhere that the Veloces ones were a cheaper (aftermarket) imitation?
You have to be careful, they sell several horseshoe sizes in 17" & 18" that are made by WSP Italy and not an OEM wheel from Alfa, but if you look closely at their website and eBay listings it does say "Alfa style" or some other wording rather than Alfa wheel.

These are legit Prodrive/Alfa ones made in UK
DSC09429.JPG
AO Silver Member

Quote:
I didn't notice the dot really until I was cleaning the wheels up, I noticed it was "around" the valve, if its wrong and should be opposite surprised the 2nd place I went to didn't say anything (they had no reason to hold back, I was already hat in hand I needed their help).

Anyway, if you want these rim's I recommend black weights, this is "worst" wheel:
Attachment 690777

Can you see the weights?

Closer:
Attachment 690785

Best your going to get I think. Massive improvement over the first effort.

I always thought the dot was lightest part of the tyre and went near the valve stem as it creates a slight additional weight?
I'd be happy with that.
I never knew about the 'dot'. You live and learn...

Quote:
You have to be careful, they sell several horseshoe sizes in 17" & 18" that are made by WSP Italy and not an OEM wheel from Alfa, but if you look closely at their website and eBay listings it does say "Alfa style" or some other wording rather than Alfa wheel.

These are legit Prodrive/Alfa ones made in UK
Attachment 690817
Yes, that was it - WSP. They're probably a heavier wheel than the legit Prodrives you've got.
AO Member

County: Essex
Wheel weights have never really worried me until this thread, and when checking my tyres this morning I noticed an "excess" of weights on one wheel - 150g just inside the spokes and an additional 15g on the inside of the wheel.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
balancing , prodrive 19 , tyres for 19