3.2 jts turbo - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 05-09-16 Thread Starter

County: -
3.2 jts turbo

Hi i go in turbo thoughts,cant find much info on the net about this.
ive seen some supercharged builds but no turbo.
as far as i know the saab 2.8 turbo hfv6 turbo manifold will fit the jts.
if you relocate the battery to the boot you might have enough space for a turbo there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saab_9-3_2008_grenr��r_avgas (1).jpg (33.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg saab_9-3_2008_grenr��r_avgas.jpg (25.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Alfa_Romeo_Brera_V6_engine.jpg (105.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg b284_v6_saab_turbo-x_2.8v6.jpg (47.5 KB, 27 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Contact this company in the link below, they should be able to tell you what's possible when adding a turbo to this 3.2 V6 Version

http://caral.co.uk/8.html
(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 06-09-16 Thread Starter

I send them a mail and see what they know

to get the alfa exhaust manifold of do you really need to remove the engine?

a turbo would sort out the cat problem on those engines to

AO Member

I think it's more complex than just swapping manifolds. It's a lot easier to supercharge this engine. Your best off on the Vauxhall forums believe it or not, those nutters do some serious mods. A V6 twin turbo insignia engine in a Corsa. They do not think it's hard to mod cars. If anyone knows if it can be as simple as anything those guys are gonna know
AO Member

Incase you need more info I have provided a link below about the alloytec V6 production engine & what update/upgrades have been done over the production run

GM High Feature engine - Z32SE V6 3.2L - Opel Antara ????
AO Member

County: Bielsko-Biala
Garage
159 with 3.2JTS is probably not best candidate for torque/power upgrades. First, gearbox, manual uses M32 (with 2 mass fly wheel lik JTDms and TBI I guess), and gearbox/flywheel limits are 320Nm, OK say can do 380 maybe 400 if you are lucky, but 3.2 with turbo will have way more torque for sure. Automatic Aisin gerboxes not sure about max limits, but I think it is the same for 1.9JTDM and 2.4JTDM weaker 200KM version - what may suggest it was at its limits there.

On top of this, the engine. It is knon it is delicate - too many serious failures happens with just standard power - like broken piston's connecting rodes making a hole in the side of engine block (attached picture from alfaholicy.org), or crankshaft pans rotating (another case from alfaholicy.org), timing chain getting lenghten (common) etc.
Attached Images
File Type: gif dziura_32v6_alfa.gif (238.3 KB, 19 views)
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

159 Q4

My understanding is the V6 uses a different gearbox which is much stronger

The engine is generally solid with the main issue that has been raised is timing chain lubrication or lack of causing the chain to stretch which internet consensus says seems to be caused by the 2 year and high millage service intervals, the oil needs changing more frequently that stated in the service schedule

As for a turbo rumour has it a twin turbo version of this engine was under consideration for the 159 GTA along with a Maserati V8 and larger capacity 3.6 litre N/A V6

Turbo-charging will likely require a fair amount of work I don't know of anyone who's done it

Autodelta have developed a supercharger conversion which seems reliable but power is developed in the top half of the rev range, this is the most common conversion on this engine

3.6 litre conversions have also been done, using parts from the direct injection 3.6 litre version of the GM unit, this requires some work on the block but parts are pretty much off the shelf GM bits, I'm sure theirs a bit more to it than that but I expect this would be an easier conversion than turbo-charging

I suspect the reason that capacity increases and centrifugal blowers are the options some have gone down and not turbo charging is because the turbo route was to expensive/difficult
AO Member

I've had a good look around & couldn't find the Brera that was turbo charged from South Africa. I did post It in a thread from an online blog on the net on AO with another username, but I do remember finding turbo's to be not easy, or cheap to perform on this engine. Anyway have a look in the link below, you can add lots more bhp to this alloytec engine with just bolt-on's, I.e a bigger air intake manifold & throttle body

CPR6 Alloytec Performance Increase Figures, CPR6 Manifold, Performance Manifolds
AO Member

Also see video, note the size of the throttle body & intake manifold plus headers all just bolt-on's though

AO Member

Garage
based on my knowledge, 3.2jts uses the same gearboxes as 1.9jtdm,just with different ratio,and that is ok, as it has the same torque.

maybe modifications of top half of rpm range would be ok, as I think torque limit really applies on low rpms(where engine and gearbox are really stressed by torque). but still i have concerns, as far as I know, this engine is delicate one, better not to stress it
AO Member

The F40 gearbox has been certified for 400NM of torque so it can achieve more, that's a safe level. It's used in v8's in the US without issue. Not sure what type of box is in the 1.9jtdm. I very much doubt it's the F40, more like the made of cheese M32
AO Member

Garage
Apologizes for some mistaken information I provided earlier. Looks like you are right with F40 for 3.2JTS. I based my statement on something I found on forum some time ago, or maybe I didn't remembered correctly all gearbox assignments? Now I've checked user manual for oil QTY, and 2.8L is used for 2.4JTDM (which I know for sure is F40) and 3.2JTS, so it must be also F40.
M32 (2.3L oil) then is used for 2.2jts,1.9jts,1.9jtdm and 1.75tbi (here slightly modified version with 2.0L oil, but for sure it is M32 - looks identical from outside as one from my former 1.9JTDM)
for completeness on gearbox types as far as I read
2.0JTDMs depends on year/power had 170HP: F40 or C635 , and 136HP version M32(at least some said so on forum) or C635
1.8MPI has some other gearbox (I think 5 speed)

OK, so gearbox should not be any problem for adding turbo, but to me 3.2JTS engine seems delicate, and if so that may be main stopper. Ive read good a few posts/cases on total engine failures I mentioned earlier. Also, when I browsed adverts for pertrol 159 last year, there were always 2-3 top-spec 3.2JTS on sale with engine dead (rather for spares), what was never the case for any other engine type.
Some another indirect confirmation of for what I'm saying is that it is nearly not possible to buy used 3.2JTS engine in Poland, and even if one is found, it cost order of EUR3000, where e.g. used 1.9JTDM (or any other maybe except 2.4) can be bought for EUR350 without any problem.

Last edited by epsonix; 07-09-16 at 10:05.
AO Member

There's millions of alloytec V6 engines including mine that have had no issues with the engine internals & loads that are driving around all over the planet as I type this. Lots have been seriously modified in the US & Down-under. Even Audi's V6's V8's, & V10's have had engine's fail it just bad luck really
AO Member

Garage
Im not saying that every 3.2 would fail, or that other engines do not fail, but my observation is that for relatively low percentage of 159/brera with this engine, there seems too many cases of dead engine vs other engines.For me that suggest that the engine is delicate (at least a few things like piston connecting rods or crankshaft pans) so may not be best base for turbo upgrade. I would rather take care for the engine, so it could serve for years.
GM used this engine for some of their cars, but who knows what are differeces,Im considering only 159/brera version
AO Member

The internals on the alloytec engines are all the same as the parts you mentioned on the 159/Brera engines that you have knowledge of failure regardless if they're fitted into from Darwoo, Vauxhall, Suzuki, Holden, Cadillac, or Alfa Romeo. Alfa only modified the heads, cylinder liners, pistons, direct fuel injection was added, cam shaft actuators was advanced to their preference of timing and also the air intake manifold was changed for their preference in sound. As I say it's just back luck these engines get lots of stick without proper research in my opinion

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
jts , turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page