159 SW what are they like? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By epsonix
  • 1 Post By napastar
  • 2 Post By dtone
  • 2 Post By TimBud
  • 1 Post By Fatsweaty

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 05-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

147 2.0TS Lusso

159 SW what are they like?

Hi all,
I've started the middle of my life enjoying owning Alfa's with my first experience being a 51 plate GTV t.spark.
I'm not with a 147 t.spark but once finished with my little project, will look at another car in a few months.

I am very tempted to look at a 159 wagon, most likely the 2.4 diesel.
What advice would you give other than - Alfa generic advice!

What should I really avoid?

thanks in advance to my fellow Alfa drivers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Garage
I currently own a 155 and a a 156 SW so you could say i like my Alfas and ive just added a 2011 SW to the fleet which has replaced a 2008 Laguna Tourer which was a really great car (despite what people say about Renaults). Having owned my 159SW for four weeks now id say in some ways its better (ride, looks, engine) than the Laguna but in some ways its worse (build quality, boot, practicality).

My 159SW is a private hire car (the only one in Hull) and as much as i love it i dont have immense amounts of faith in its ability to cope with the job - you only have to look at this forum and the amount of issues people have had with them - go on the Laguna forum and you hardly find anyone with issues - i suppose what im saying is buy one but do it with your eyes open, it will go wrong no doubt so be ready but in the mean time youll be driving round in a beautiful italian tourer!
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

159 2.0JTDm SW

I had a 159 1.9JTDm saloon for about 3 1/2 years and it was a great car except, except for all the usual stuff (gearbox mainly)

I traded it for a 159 SW 2.0JTDm just over a year ago and love this even more than my saloon.

I haven't had any trouble with this one,

Mine is a Tourismo Sport which is a bit lacking in extras (I miss the rear parking sensors, and the leather interior, but it's worth it because I dont have to put up with the crazy auto wipers or the random aircon, but I do have the dark headlining and the nicer shaped steering wheel)

I haven't has any issues with boot space, even for a 2 week holiday with the wife and dogs (she packs everything!!!)

If you can get a 2.0JTDm (assuming you are after a diesel) then defiantly go for it, the 1.9 and 2.4 are both great, but they have well documented problems, I haven't read a single negative report about the 2.0JTDm (or some petrols TBH)

I'm not running the 1.9 or 2.4 down, but the 159 is getting old (and cheap) enough now that (IMO) there is little point buying something that has a history of failure when there are options available.

Axe

AO Member

County: Bielsko-Biala
Garage
2.0jtdm egr is cooled by fluid, an sometimes cracs/leaks. 1.75tbi turbo sensitive for oil change mileage, max half of manufacturer interval and use better oil than manufacturer recommended(selenia star pe 5w40 is rubbish oil) , otherwise turbo may say goodbye at even 50k miles (luckily some know how to repair it without spending fortune). aside, both are very reliable and much less hassle/risk than even with 1.9jtdm
Sebasteeno likes this.
AO Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

2.4JTDM 159Ti SW

Awesome.

Had mine for 5 years and best part of 80,000 miles.

It's rear wiper went crazy and the motor had to be replaced, that was all. Regular maintenance is key!

I miss it, massively.
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Lots of good advice above particulary regarding the the 2.0JTDM as the EGR ( which can easily be mapped out ) and the DPF ( as its much closer to the Exhaust manifold than on the 1.9 and 2.4 and so runs hotter ) rarely give trouble.

Based on my wifes 2 year 20000+ miles ownership of a 2.0JTDM SW ti I cant agree with Sebasteeno other than the comment on boot space as its poor for an estate ( if you want ultimate space you should buy and Accord or Volvo estate ).

Weve had no trouble what so ever other than having to buy a new battery 2 days ago - It was 5 years old so cant really complain. My wife's previous car was a Civic Type S Diesel and we had to replace the clutch at 35000 miles ( Known weakness ) Shut off device for the folding mirrors, Drop links, Clutch master cylinder - all before 4 years old and <60000 miles on a 1 previous owner car with Full Honda history.

As long as you get one thats been looked after and you continue to maintain it, you should get the best looking estate car bar none, that should be no less reliable than any other car
goram likes this.

Last edited by napastar; 07-09-16 at 05:49.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
I've owned 3 in the past two years. The first was an 58 plate black 159 1.9 Ti SW. Since my previous car was a 147 1.9 jtd the 159 felt slow in comparison and bitterly disappointed. But in terms of build quality it is a big jump and a vast improvement compare to the 147 era.

Being happy with the 159 SW Ti but not in its current form I had to wait around for a 2.4ti which is rare to find for sale and eventually found one 6 months later in Red . When I test drove it I had that Alfa smile that I never quite got from the 1.9 and bought it straight away.

I was so happy to find one in red and the sound of the 2.4 is so much better than the 1.9. I've done 25k miles in the past 1.5 years and just sold it 2 weeks ago.It wasn't remap as I used it as a family car plus it was the 210hp version and more than sufficient for me. The only thing I did do is egr delete and power flex the lower wishbone when the suspension was done about a year ago.

Now my current car is another 2.4 Ti but qtronic. As I was driving both cars the qtronic has 10 less bhp and felt that there a bit of hesitation (maybe because it's a semi auto box).
So last week is was in for a major work with Loz at Autolusso South ,complete overhaul of the suspension include power flex,change qtronic gearbox oil,egr delete and remap,service,under seal and sub frame treatment, 4 wheels alignment and refurbished the alloys. With the egr delete plus the remap it has transformed the car and boy does it shift for an automatic.

I guess my recommendation would be a 2.4. Its a solid engine,it has a stronger box if you need to remap it and you dont have to worry like with the 1.9. It sounds better too. Yes the 2.0 will give you less issue with the egr but I'll buy another 2.4 anytime.
egodissolve and Larry92 like this.

Present *Alfa 159 2.4Ti SW Qtronic *Alfa GT 3.2 V6

Past *Alfa 159 2.4Ti SW *Alfa 159 1.9Ti SW *Alfa 147 JTD 16V *Alfa 147 2.0L 5 Door Lusso Vinyl Wrap Gloss White Zender 147 *Alfa 147 1.6L 3 Door Turismo
AO Member

County: Leicestershire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 SW ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebasteeno View Post
- you only have to look at this forum and the amount of issues people have had with them - go on the Laguna forum and you hardly find anyone with issues -
The vast majority of people are only here because they have problems... so you have to take it all with a pinch of salt.

I love my 2.4 ti SW. It's a superb long distance cruiser but not a sports car so don't expect it to be that unless you want the disappointment. The boot is not a cave, but if you pack well it can fit a whole load of stuff in there.
Basically if you look after it and keep it all serviced well you'll have little to whine about.
Sebasteeno and egodissolve like this.
AO Member

County: Kent
I've had my 1.9 for 6 years and love it. Yes there are bigger estates but they are uglier. Get the best one you can afford and over service it. Its worth it. Mine is now on 122,000 miles and has never let me down - 6 mots have cost me a pair of wipers and spring that was less than 50 for the part.

County: Worcestershire
Dealer recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceb View Post
Hi all,
I've started the middle of my life enjoying owning Alfa's with my first experience being a 51 plate GTV t.spark.
I'm not with a 147 t.spark but once finished with my little project, will look at another car in a few months.

I am very tempted to look at a 159 wagon, most likely the 2.4 diesel.
What advice would you give other than - Alfa generic advice!

What should I really avoid?

thanks in advance to my fellow Alfa drivers.
Can't rate this place highly enough: http://www.lovealfa.co.uk/
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire
Currently in love with my SW 2.4Ti had the Autolusso Powerflex treatment, egr delete and remap it feels great to drive. Really solid, steering is nice and responsive not hatchback gti responsive but more refined if that's the right word. Not massive load carrier but enough, the interior is lovely and the diesel 2.4 is so smooth.
egodissolve likes this.
AO Member

County: Shropshire

Member car:

159TI 2.4SW QT

I agree with the guys who have the 2.4SWs!
Tyres and servicing are key, the best car I have ever owned. They are animals when modified, remapped and tuned plus they handle brilliantly. Can't add anymore to the posts already!
AO Member

County: Bielsko-Biala
Garage
2.4JTDM is brilliant engine, proven over years of being used for older AR models, but for 159 it has one weak point, all since they added DPF to it. It is common that heat during DPF regeneration process, causes much bigger stress on exhaust manifold. The effect is that manifold mounting bolts crack/break (this is not that much problem, could be repaired relatively easily), but usually people do not spot it and that causes that manifold bends a bit (still not that much problem, could be sorted out by machine evening/milling (? sorry, my english is not that strong in every area)). These 2 are very common, I think most of 2.4JTDM nowadays (>6 years old, with noticeable mileage) will have that. As far as I follow Polish forum looks to me that most of 2.4 users are not even aware that such happended already in their engine, as in most of cases there is not that much visible effect (bit of extra whistling and black marks around exhaust manifold around cracked bolts).
Unfortunately, in some cases head cracks. In that case repair using dealer would be enormously expensive (just new head cost is like GBP2000 as far as I know).
However, I know that there are what they call factory refurbished heads (which they still say are new heads) available once you return your old/damaged (could be in pieces, could be even head from other car) one for less than GBP1000. Still though repair total will be noticeable amount out of pocket.

The only cure for avoiding such problems is to remove DPF physically and from ECU - once that is done, no that much stress on exhaust manifold/head anymore and engine runs problem free.

SO, buying 2.4 is OK choice, but above needs to be taken into account, and sorted out asap.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page