Newbie 159 swiss cheese front sub frame help. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Norph
  • 1 Post By bricol

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 05-09-16 Thread Starter

County: -
Garage
Newbie 159 swiss cheese front sub frame help.

Hi there,

I am having to get the front sub frame replaced on my 159 Jtdm Lusso Sportswagon.

After picking myself up off the floor after finding out the price of a brand spanker from alfa. I am trying to source a decent one from a breaker, etc. Has anyone any suggestions of where I could start, or indeed have one for sale? (I am in Bevereley, East Yorkshire).

Also would anyone be able to tell me if this is specific to a 1.9 or would one from other models/sizes, (a 2.4 for instance), fit?

(I have used online parts search with 2 possibles but... one place are dragging their heels with sending photos and the other would like twice the price of the first! I am keen to get done asap as the mechanic who serviced it and found the issue says its the worst he has seen, photos available if interested.)

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: United Kingdom
Garage

Member car:

159 SW Ti 2.4

Hi Jimmy, small world. That's my home town! Not that I live there any more...

Front subframe differs between the FWD and 4WD versions due to the transfer box and propshaft.

Later vehicles (after 58) had a lightened subframe AFAIK.

You'll probably need a van to pick it up. I'm not sure it'll fit in a SW.

I'd checkout eBay. There's always something being scrapped.

Cheers,

Andrew

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #3 of 13 Old 05-09-16 Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norph View Post
Hi Jimmy, small world. That's my home town! Not that I live there any more...

Front subframe differs between the FWD and 4WD versions due to the transfer box and propshaft.

Later vehicles (after 58) had a lightened subframe AFAIK.

You'll probably need a van to pick it up. I'm not sure it'll fit in a SW.

I'd checkout eBay. There's always something being scrapped.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Norph,

Thanks for that, been quoted 300 with delivery from another breaker, but still seems a bit steep, although admittedly a third of the new price. Suppose some breakers know the new price and mark up accordingly.

(ebay has just one off a 2.4 at the moment).

Cheers

Jimmy

AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 SW Ti 2.4

Unfortunately that sounds about right. Postage will be steep due to its size and weight.

So if you're looking for reasons to make it cheaper (in your head), subtract 20 for postage. Probably...

Just a thought, but make sure you either budget for a realignment or that the mechanic you've got does it for you. The first time my subframe came off it was put back on by a mechanic that didn't take much care.

First I noticed was the steering wheel offset by about 10...

It couldn't be sorted with the tracking on its own. The entire frame had to be loosened/nudged into a better position.

Lord_of_beard likes this.

AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 SW Ti 2.4

Just a thought, but have you checked out Jacko's scrapyard off Swinemoor lane? Up near where Armstrong Massey's used to be.

AO Gold Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
There is a breakers yard in Sherburn that may be able to help you. Give them a ring, not too far for you to travel so you can inspect the part.

http://www.alfa-spares.co.uk/
(Post Link) post #7 of 13 Old 05-09-16 Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norph View Post
Just a thought, but have you checked out Jacko's scrapyard off Swinemoor lane? Up near where Armstrong Massey's used to be.

Hi Norph,

I haven't, as not many around 159s around here thought it would be needle in a haystack job trying random breakers, so thought the internet might be a better option, but I shall give them a call, you never know, thanks.

Regards realignment its Alan at Woodcock Motors Willerby who I'll be taking it too and he seems to know whats what.

Cheers
(Post Link) post #8 of 13 Old 05-09-16 Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbout View Post
There is a breakers yard in Sherburn that may be able to help you. Give them a ring, not too far for you to travel so you can inspect the part.

http://www.alfa-spares.co.uk/
Thanks Verbout,

I have indeed been in touch and they quoted 300, another breaker I'm waiting to hear back from are quoting 145 all in, but yet to see images of condition.

A big saving if they come through, (some of which will go on on a wire brush, some hammerite and beers to ease the boredom of cleaning it up!)

Cheers,

Jimmy
AO Member

A 3.2 4WD subframe will go in the back of Peugeot 106 with the seats down.

I had mine blasted by a local guy for 50 quid - he was worried it was too expensive, but as I pointed to him, for the saving in my time, wear and tear on me and any angle grinder and wire wheel I used, never mind on the neighbours, it was well worth it.

I'm not a particulalr fan of powdercoating of something that can get damaged (water gets under, the metal rots way under perfect looking coating ), so I applied Jotun epoxy paint, followed by a good coating of 3M underseal, which dries properly. Kept away, or cleaned off the mounting points, with the painted thinned down in the area of the rear mounts for the wishbones to allow them to fit.

Once all cured/dry, it got a good inteneral spraying with Noxudol 700 cavity wax.

I'll let you know in 10 yrs if it was worth it. I was bit amazed at the state of it, especially compared with the aforementioned '91 Pug 106 and my '92 Delta integrale.

Rear suspension arms are next up as they seem to have be coated with the same crap paint in the factory.
Norph likes this.
AO Gold Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmygee View Post
Thanks Verbout,

I have indeed been in touch and they quoted 300, another breaker I'm waiting to hear back from are quoting 145 all in, but yet to see images of condition.

A big saving if they come through, (some of which will go on on a wire brush, some hammerite and beers to ease the boredom of cleaning it up!)

Cheers,

Jimmy
Don't forget some rust converter/preventer.
AO Gold Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricol View Post
I'm not a particulalr fan of powdercoating of something that can get damaged (water gets under, the metal rots way under perfect looking coating )
Agreed
AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Brera

I've recently had a refurbished subframe put on by Autolusso, along with a 4 wheel alignment. They've got them in stock. When you factor in sourcing, transporting, blasting, protecting, fitting and aligning it makes no sense to attempt it yourself.
(Post Link) post #13 of 13 Old 07-09-16 Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewe View Post
I've recently had a refurbished subframe put on by Autolusso, along with a 4 wheel alignment. They've got them in stock. When you factor in sourcing, transporting, blasting, protecting, fitting and aligning it makes no sense to attempt it yourself.
Thanks for all your replies,

Looking like Sherburns are the way forward for me any way, the other breaker are still messing me about and Autolusso have one in stock but I can save 150 ish by getting it blasted locally, and then treat it myself, then off to Woodcocks for fitting, etc.

Cheers for all your help.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , cheese , frame , front , newbie , swiss

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page