Brera advice ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 15Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 36 Old 04-09-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 81

Member car:

Mg zr

Brera advice ?

Hello guys
I am concidering a later model Brera 2.4 for my next car and was hoping for some advice.


1, asked a million times but what Is real world MPG? I'll be doing mainly motorway miles and will probably have a remap and dpf removal.

2, how to the stand up to the competitors ( 1series coupe mainly )

3, reliability ?

4, Ride quality on long motorway runs ?
Thomson_adam is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Still very confused
AO Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 938
I can only answer part of your question, I have an 08 Brera with 108k on the clock, I bought it two years ago with <>98k, I have completely trouble free motoring with it, as I have had with all my Alfa's except one ( and I think that was down to me). Mine is used mainly for trips to your part of the world and the dark continent, so lots of long but quite quick journeys. Mine has the benefit of an Alfatune remap but the DPF is still in place, due mainly to current legislation, consider this before you take the DPF off. As a long distance cruiser it's amazing, 5-6 hundred miles is easy driving, and on the continent at there motorway speeds I get mid to late 30's possibly low 40's. In the UK travelling on motorways mid 40's. My overall average to date is 37mpg. I cannot directly compare it to the 1 series, a car that I consider hideous for what it's worth but in an earlier life I ran Bmers and Audi's as company and private cars and although they were very good, given the choice, which I have, I chose the Brera.
My two pence worth.
Philjay50 is offline  
Status: supporting a bank near you
AO Silver Member
 
Top Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Sussex
Posts: 3,870
Images: 3
Although both our cars, Brera and Spider, both have proper engines, we have done 1000's of trouble free miles, spider does about 8k and my Brera does about 18k miles PA, the Spider has done Italy and back plus other touring UK and France, the Brera has done south of France twice. Reliability? is there an issue with Alfa Romeos or something????

As to your questions:

1. I know nothing about the tractor engine versions

2. Competition, 1 series what?

3. Reliability, see above

4. A great cruiser, more so than out and out sports car.
Philjay50 and sizewell like this.
Top Down is offline  
 
Status: -
AO Member
 
matty74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: United Kingdom
County: Croston Lancs
Posts: 258
Images: 12
Had my 07 Brera 6 yrs now and put 60,000 miles on it during that time so it's now up to 102k hopefully I can answer your questions.

1. MPG, I agree with Philjay50 at about 37MPG ... I do a 70 mile round trip M6/M62 daily, don't really take notice of the on board display as it can be wildly inaccurate at times. I just brim it (you can squeeze in 71 litres) and then expect to get between 580 - 620 miles out of that. I just work it on 75 miles per 1/8th on the gauge, it's never really that far out.

2. Competition ... there is no competition. You can't compare a Brera to a mobile hairdressers car.

3. Reliability ... Apart from servicing and wear and usual wear and tear stuff (Clutch/DMF done at 100k ... Crankshaft pulley a few months ago) i've never encountered too many problems ... admittedly springs tend to break (as i've just discovered on my front n/s) but the car is nearly 10yr old and our roads are crap, so that could happen on any vehicle.

4. It's definitely a cruiser, effortless motorway driving, comfortable cabin, plenty under the pedal when necessary, and is there a better looking coupe out there? It's already a future classic in the making.

Oh ... mines the Tractor 2.4jdtm version remapped by Gus @ alfatune, I live in a rural area and believe me some of those big tractors that go past our cottage actually do sound better ... but I doubt if there's any as quick
Philjay50 likes this.

Previous Alfa's
1999 156 2.5 V6 Sport Pack 3 (190)
2004 GT 1.9 JTDm (150)

Current Alfa's
2007 Brera 2.4 JTDm SV (200)
2011 Guilietta 1.4 TB Multiair (170)

Also
1970 VW T2 Early Bay (50)
matty74 is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 36 Old 04-09-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 81

Member car:

Mg zr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philjay50 View Post
I can only answer part of your question, I have an 08 Brera with 108k on the clock, I bought it two years ago with <>98k, I have completely trouble free motoring with it, as I have had with all my Alfa's except one ( and I think that was down to me). Mine is used mainly for trips to your part of the world and the dark continent, so lots of long but quite quick journeys. Mine has the benefit of an Alfatune remap but the DPF is still in place, due mainly to current legislation, consider this before you take the DPF off. As a long distance cruiser it's amazing, 5-6 hundred miles is easy driving, and on the continent at there motorway speeds I get mid to late 30's possibly low 40's. In the UK travelling on motorways mid 40's. My overall average to date is 37mpg. I cannot directly compare it to the 1 series, a car that I consider hideous for what it's worth but in an earlier life I ran Bmers and Audi's as company and private cars and although they were very good, given the choice, which I have, I chose the Brera.
My two pence worth.

Thanks .... I am currently doing a lot of motorway miles so that's why I asked about the cruiser.

Why would you take the Alfa over the audis and bmws ? Does it have more character ?
Thomson_adam is offline  
(Post Link) post #6 of 36 Old 04-09-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 81

Member car:

Mg zr

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty74 View Post
Had my 07 Brera 6 yrs now and put 60,000 miles on it during that time so it's now up to 102k hopefully I can answer your questions.

1. MPG, I agree with Philjay50 at about 37MPG ... I do a 70 mile round trip M6/M62 daily, don't really take notice of the on board display as it can be wildly inaccurate at times. I just brim it (you can squeeze in 71 litres) and then expect to get between 580 - 620 miles out of that. I just work it on 75 miles per 1/8th on the gauge, it's never really that far out.

2. Competition ... there is no competition. You can't compare a Brera to a mobile hairdressers car.

3. Reliability ... Apart from servicing and wear and usual wear and tear stuff (Clutch/DMF done at 100k ... Crankshaft pulley a few months ago) i've never encountered too many problems ... admittedly springs tend to break (as i've just discovered on my front n/s) but the car is nearly 10yr old and our roads are crap, so that could happen on any vehicle.

4. It's definitely a cruiser, effortless motorway driving, comfortable cabin, plenty under the pedal when necessary, and is there a better looking coupe out there? It's already a future classic in the making.

Oh ... mines the Tractor 2.4jdtm version remapped by Gus @ alfatune, I live in a rural area and believe me some of those big tractors that go past our cottage actually do sound better ... but I doubt if there's any as quick

How bad does it actually sound ?
I had a GT 1.9 and didn't think it was too bad sound wise.

I don't think many things look as good , certainly for the price.
Thomson_adam is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
matty74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: United Kingdom
County: Croston Lancs
Posts: 258
Images: 12
I was joking

I also had a 1.9 GT ... trust me, if you thought that sounded ok then the 5 Cylinder 20v noise will be music to your ears. It doesn't sound bad at all, sounds great once warmed up and also when pushed hard through the gears.

Anyway some of those tractors that go past are V8 diesels, so they're bound to sound ok
matty74 is offline  
Status: Still very confused
AO Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 938
this is my first Diesel and I do have issues with the noise, on start up, when cold and tick over I think it sounds like a bag of rusty hammers BUT as said here once under the hammer it sounds very nice indeed. I read an article somewhere that make it the best sounding 5 cylinder engine. Why the Alfa, well I have to be honest, I have run Alfas for so many years it's untrue. By comparison the Germans just lack the sense of occasion. It WILL make you smile and people still look and admire it, quite amazing really. It's just a nice place to be.

Last edited by Philjay50; 05-09-16 at 20:36.
Philjay50 is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 36 Old 04-09-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 81

Member car:

Mg zr

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty74 View Post
I was joking


I also had a 1.9 GT ... trust me, if you thought that sounded ok then the 5 Cylinder 20v noise will be music to your ears. It doesn't sound bad at all, sounds great once warmed up and also when pushed hard through the gears.

Anyway some of those tractors that go past are V8 diesels, so they're bound to sound ok
One of the reasons I got rid of the GT was the ride , I found it very soft. Is this the same of the brera ? It doesn't look it as it looks wider and lower down
Thomson_adam is offline  
(Post Link) post #10 of 36 Old 04-09-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 81

Member car:

Mg zr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philjay50 View Post
this is my first Diesel and I do have issues with the noise, on start up, when cold and tick over I think it sounds like a bag of rusty hammers BUT as said here once under the hammer it sounds very nice indeed. I read an article somewhere that make it the best sounding 5 cylinder engine. Why the Alfa, well I have to be honest, I have rune Alfas for so many years it's untrue. By comparison the Germans just lack the sense of occasion. It WILL make you smile and people still look and admire it, quite amazing really. It's just a nice place to be.

I found even with the more common GT people always looked so I can imagine the brera has even more pull
Thomson_adam is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
matty74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: United Kingdom
County: Croston Lancs
Posts: 258
Images: 12
I wouldn't say the Brera was a soft ride, and I was a bit wary of what i'd heard about it's ride prior to buying mine. Having said that, I find it a really comfortable ride, and I have some twisty B roads to deal with before I hit the M6 in a morning and it always handles them well. On the motorway, i'm always confident of it on slip road bends etc, just push it into the corners and around it goes ... and that's with a broken spring ... imagine what it'll be like once that's sorted
matty74 is offline  
Status: trying to get high on the # key
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
alfahemi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Northamptonshire
Posts: 361

Member car:

brera 2.4 - NERO

2.4 is a little nose heavy, so expect a little diving and wallowing when breaking hard into corners if its still on its original shocks etc, but eibachs/bilstein combos with poly bushes can transform that. All diesels sound like a bag of spanners on tickover, and the 2.4 isn't any different. But once moving, and on acceleration the noise is better than any 4 pot. With the extra cylinder, there is always a combustion cylinder overlap, so the 5 cylinder does have the throatiness and acoustics not akin to a V10. It took me over a year to finally decide to get the diesel over the V6, mainly because its an Alfa, and Alfa should be a petrol. But as the V6 ain't a Busso anyway, I twisted my own arm and gave the 2.4 a home, and ain't regretted my decision one bit. I've probably added about 70,000 to the overall mileage and it feels like its only just ran in. The can be expensive to keep though, if things go wrong, and as they age, then that probability gets higher. They are a niche car from a niche manufacturer, hence why you can go days without seeing an Alfa, and weeks without seeing a Brera on the roads. My mpg average is about 32, about mid 40s cruising and mid 20s in town. As comparing a Brera to a series 1?? it has no comparison to any car available apart from another Alfa.....that's why we are so passionate about the marque, they are not mere cars, they have a soul and a heart, any faults with them are just their personalities showing through a little.
matty74, Philjay50 and bigjim like this.
alfahemi is offline  
Status: turning heads everywhere
AO Silver Member
 
lussoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Preston
County: Lancashire
Posts: 4,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson_adam View Post
Thanks .... I am currently doing a lot of motorway miles so that's why I asked about the cruiser.

Why would you take the Alfa over the audis and bmws ? Does it have more character ?
Bizarre. I really need to know why anyone would rather take an Audi or BMW over an Alfa.
I've never understood why plenty do, I just assume they're not 'car' people and happily follow the flock...
lussoman is offline  
Status: supporting a bank near you
AO Silver Member
 
Top Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Sussex
Posts: 3,870
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
Bizarre. I really need to know why anyone would rather take an Audi or BMW over an Alfa.
I've never understood why plenty do, I just assume they're not 'car' people and happily follow the flock...
Wannbe sales reps?
Top Down is offline  
Status: turning heads everywhere
AO Silver Member
 
lussoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Preston
County: Lancashire
Posts: 4,248
What's with the user name change Top Down?
Have you got a doppelganger, or getting rid of the 'red Brera'?
lussoman is offline  
Status: All Hell's A-Coming
AO Platinum Member
 
Tata4Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: France
County: Riviera
Posts: 29,078
Garage
Brera is still the most comfortable long-distance cruiser I've ever driven. By far.

Watch out for the seat. Original ones are less "sporty" but way more comfortable.
Tata4Now is online now  
Status: Still engineering
AO Silver Member
 
Old Engineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Esher
County: Surrey
Posts: 2,060
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
Bizarre. I really need to know why anyone would rather take an Audi or BMW over an Alfa.
I've never understood why plenty do, I just assume they're not 'car' people and happily follow the flock...
I was always amazed by the BMW buying statistics. On normal sales you expect that buyers would, on average, test drive 2 different cars before deciding. On BMW the ratio is 4 to 1, the other way! ie The dealers only have to do test drives for 1 in 4 buyers. So 3 buyers don't even bother to run it because they are so desperate to join the flock of sheep.
Old Engineer is offline  
Status: All Hell's A-Coming
AO Platinum Member
 
Tata4Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: France
County: Riviera
Posts: 29,078
Garage
I've a colleague who's had a string of Audis (A6 A6 A4 Q5 A4) since 2001 and has test driven 2.
Tata4Now is online now  
Status: turning heads everywhere
AO Silver Member
 
lussoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Preston
County: Lancashire
Posts: 4,248
I must admit I didn't bother test driving my current Spider when I bought it from the main dealer, and that was a 2 year-old car!
It may have had something to do with the horrendous snow up in Newcastle at the time, but I was having the car regardless of how it drove.
I guess the sheep must have a similar love for their German metal, or they just feel the need to 'fit in' with the rest of their flock.
Philjay50 likes this.
lussoman is offline  
Status: trying to get high on the # key
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
alfahemi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Northamptonshire
Posts: 361

Member car:

brera 2.4 - NERO

Because BMW and Audi are so sterile that there ain't no difference between one and the next, and people that tend to buy them just listen to the spin. The same people that believes the ******** about Alfa reliability issues.
alfahemi is offline  
Status: supporting a bank near you
AO Silver Member
 
Top Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Sussex
Posts: 3,870
Images: 3
Our neighbours son has just taken delivery of a brand new BMW small thing. It has 'M' badges on the side and a 118 badge on the back, so he must have bought a sporty gear leaver knob or something, anyway hes a young lad and just progressed from a Pug to the BMW, in black of course, so now he's a proper sales rep!
Philjay50 and hessian like this.
Top Down is offline  
Status: supporting a bank near you
AO Silver Member
 
Top Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Sussex
Posts: 3,870
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
What's with the user name change Top Down?
Have you got a doppelganger, or getting rid of the 'red Brera'?
With two Spiders in the family, the question often is "Top down?" The forum wouldnt let me have the ? for some reason. Anyway, you heard it here first, the Brera will be going, I'm expecting, hoping, to be buying a Giulia 2.0 petrol, so it seemed appropriate to make the change.
lussoman likes this.
Top Down is offline  
Status: 16Italiancylinders(V 6,N4,L2,V2,V2)+1Span ish
AO Silver Member
 
swq4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Posts: 1,540
Images: 28
Garage
If you run to it the limited Edition ITALIA INDEPENDENT is the choice if not wanting the V6: 9 Used Alfa Romeo Brera cars for sale | Veloces of London
Top Down likes this.
swq4 is offline  
Status: Still very confused
AO Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Down View Post
Our neighbours son has just taken delivery of a brand new BMW small thing. It has 'M' badges on the side and a 118 badge on the back, so he must have bought a sporty gear leaver knob or something, anyway hes a young lad and just progressed from a Pug to the BMW, in black of course, so now he's a proper sales rep!
Now it's funny you should mention this, I had occasion to drive an M3 the other day, very nice car, very fast etc. But while out and about in it seemed that every other Bmer I saw sported M badges. I mentioned to the guy that was with me, surely there cannot be this many Mcars. He shugged. On a similar note while out in my wife's Grande Punto (Tjet, lively little thing) I had a bit of a run with a 1 series showing Msport badges, I could not understand why it did not pass me, at the next roundabout I discovered the reason, it was a 114. 1.4 what is the point?

Last edited by Philjay50; 06-09-16 at 13:56.
Philjay50 is offline  
Status: Let the V6 howl!
AO Member
 
A_Venables's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Posts: 403
Garage
I looked at a 1 Series when getting the Giulietta, the spec list seemed poverty spec, then everything you added on to bring the car upto a acceptable standard was 1K, there were a few 1Ks to make the spec acceptable too! And I just wasn't sold on the styling either.
A_Venables is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
advice , brera

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome