Swirl flaps...Epoxy? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pud237

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 04-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Nordjylland
Garage

Member car:

159 2,4 JTDm 210

Swirl flaps...Epoxy?

Has anyone, as temporarily measure, tried filling the top around the swirls with epoxy-resin? Wondering if it gets to nasty climate for epoxy to keep tight when engine is warm & under boost conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
I have seen this on a customers car. When we removed his inlet manifold a while later to do a swirl flap delete, we saw some of the epoxy resin had gone through the bush and had stuck to the top of his inlet valves! We knocked off what we could and hoovered it out working down the back of the engine with the inlet manifold off but there was some around the back of the inlet valve stems which we just could not get to. I wouldn't recommend it.
Chipmik likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 05-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Nordjylland
Garage

Member car:

159 2,4 JTDm 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
I have seen this on a customers car. When we removed his inlet manifold a while later to do a swirl flap delete, we saw some of the epoxy resin had gone through the bush and had stuck to the top of his inlet valves! We knocked off what we could and hoovered it out working down the back of the engine with the inlet manifold off but there was some around the back of the inlet valve stems which we just could not get to. I wouldn't recommend it.
Thanks a lot, not the road to follow then ;-) :-)

County: UK
Bit late to say that...

First post so hope this works.

3 days after buying the 159 I discovered the bar that connects the swirl flaps laying on the top of the manifold. The plastic bits had worn away to the point where the thing was useless. A little soapy water showed 4 of the 5 shafts were leaking air at idle. Bit soon to start taking the engine apart...

Cleaned up with meth’s (warm engine, paintbrush, deep breaths), fast set epoxy that said it was for metal and one of those bamboo barbeque skewers that will reach a blob down at a time. Just enough to fill in round the edge. The warmth makes the epoxy runny but also set even quicker. Took ages.

If I ever feel brave enough to take the manifold off I’ll look for epoxy on the valves.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
flapsepoxy , swirl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page