[159] Alfa 3.2 jts, boost pressure sensor - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 01-09-16 Thread Starter

County: -
[159] Alfa 3.2 jts, boost pressure sensor

Hello,
I've been getting the 'check engine' notification lately along with poor reaction on pressing the throttle pedal. In other words every time I try to accelerate the car just won't go, engine sounds a bit different.
I've checked it with ECU and 'boost pressure sensor' popped out, so I guess that's the reason. Anyway, I've tried to find something but no results yet. I'm not sure what the information on ECU exactly means. Which sensor is it?
Any help with that? What should I look for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

If I'm not mistaken it's the sensor that's on your air intake manifold ( plenum ) sure it's also known as a MAP sensor
AO Silver Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Garage
I would have thought "boost pressure sensor" applicable to Turbos, which the 3.2 jts does not have.
- sure you read the ECU correctly?
It might be the Manifold Pressure sensor - can gum up - on top of inlet manifold (to right as you look at the engine)

AO Member

(Post Link) post #5 of 15 Old 01-09-16 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swq4 View Post
I would have thought "boost pressure sensor" applicable to Turbos, which the 3.2 jts does not have.
- sure you read the ECU correctly?
It might be the Manifold Pressure sensor - can gum up - on top of inlet manifold (to right as you look at the engine)
I'm sure that ECU gave me "boost pressure sensor" notice. What I wasn't sure about, was what could it stand for, because as you've noticed correctly, it's sounds more like a sensor applicable to turbos. I've got an old ECU scan version so that also might be an issue here.
Anyway, I guess it has to be it, I can't think of any other sensor that would have that much of an impact on diffculties I'm having. I'll check it.

Thank you Clay19, I will look into it.

Beside this error on ECU, can you think of anything else that would cause the car to lose so much power? It feels like there is no reaction to pressing on the throttle pedal. Any sensor out there?

Appreciate the helphttp://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

Last edited by Marshallo; 01-09-16 at 20:29.
AO Member

As you know an engine needs the same fuel to air ratio for the engine to create enough combustion. If the sensor isn't telling the engine to breath in more air when needed, then the engine won't supply the correct amount of fuel, hence no power when pressing on. The sensor could be the fault as the ECU is telling you to start their first, that's where I'd start first. Check and clean the connection to the sensor, and also the wiring first. Also check the vacuum pipe that connects to the plenum, check that for cracking. If it's cracked/ split that will affect air flow too
AO Member

Sounds like engine is in limp mode. What is the error code number? - the description is unfortunately just generic.
(Post Link) post #8 of 15 Old 02-09-16 Thread Starter

Unfortunately, the ECU says P0016 code. Nothing I would expect nor want, but I guess it's time for the chain, sensor or/and solenoid.
Is it the last one camshaft as we look from front of the car?

Last edited by Marshallo; 02-09-16 at 18:45.
AO Member

I don't think the limp mode with an EML light on would be related to your camshaft position sensors being clogged. Not with loss of power as you've discribed. I would guess on the new info "P0016" that it's related to a timing chain stretch. But the code reading should relate to which bank it actually is. Let's hope it's only a dirty sensor
(Post Link) post #10 of 15 Old 02-09-16 Thread Starter

It says, P0016 phase synchronization (exhaust)/ revs
I've checked visually the place where both sensor and solenoid is and I saw, that there is oil leak somewhere around it.
AO Silver Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Garage
Limp mode and P0016 may mean Sensor or its wiring (if you are lucky)
AO Member

What's probably the best thing to do is undo the battery, have a little strip down of the engine so you can check & clean the actuator solenoid where you see the oil build up, & undo the air intake sensor to clean the part that slots in the plenum reset the fault code too. All the best of luck, keep us updated
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
P0016 always means the cam chain on a 2.2 engine.
For your sake I hope it's different on the 3.2 - I understand it's very expensive to do.
(Post Link) post #14 of 15 Old 03-09-16 Thread Starter

I've unplagged all the sensors on the second bank and found out there was a bit oil in two of them, both the sensor and solenoid. Whatever the reason is causing p0016 error I'll have to take out the engine or at least try to move it higher cause there's not enough space to replace the sensor or solenoid. It looks like one of the seals are broken so it lets the oil to leak on the plugs.
I still hope it's not the chain, cause when We were doing the engine overhaul because of the worn-out bearings, we also checked chains which didn't seem to be loose or anything. Tensioners didn't leak and both chains were tight enough evenly.
I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by Marshallo; 03-09-16 at 11:35.
(Post Link) post #15 of 15 Old 05-09-16 Thread Starter

Feels like everything is back to normal. I've cleaned the plug as I said and check engine disappeared. "Power is back" at least for now. I guess I need to check where the oil is getting from and get rid of the issue causing the problem.
If that changes (hope not) I'll keep you informed.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , alfa , boost , jts , pressure , sensor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page