Alfa 159 1.9 jtdm rough idle - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 27-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Alfa 159 1.9 jtdm rough idle

Back in an alfa finally after 3 years

But last night the trouble started. It idles rough almost like its on 3 cylinders. However when I unplug the maf it idles fine. Does this point to the Maf or something else?
Also its giving error code p2002 which says bank 1 of the dpf can these be related?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Would indicate the MAF is faulty, they do have a limited life expectancy, some people have had success with cleaning it, when you replace it, a genuine Bosch part is recomended.

Yes it can affect the DPF. With a dodgy MAF you will be changing the fuel air mixture, can cause smoke and will clog the DpF.
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 28-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the reply. I think you might have answered my question. I will unplug the MAF and take it for a long run to see if the dpf will regen and I dont get an error code.
AO Member

County: Nordjylland
Garage
Better running with MAF off suggests something is "slightly" wrong with something. What it does is to make the engine run after a less strict map, not holding loop of control as tight. You also would see it when engine <80C :-) A lot of MAF“s has been bought, just to realize this :-) But off course, it can also bee the MAF...BUT

Faultcode P2002 is for the DPF-filter saying its clogged beyond healthy values & car is about to give up.

If you got MES, you could run a "forced regen"...Or (try reset faultcodes just before), take it for a drive long enough till it starts regeneration (>80C temp, MPG drops to approx ½ of normal), when regen starts, hold RPM between 3-3500 RPM for the most of the time possible to get temperature in DPF as high as possible.

After this...(I got no clue if fail resets itself, if not, reset faultcodes) & hopefully you should be ok until next time. (like all other DPF-equipped diesels will do if the doent get opportunity to regen by themself due to short trips)

Read last 2 posts :-)

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-dpf-link.html (EGR and DPF link...)

Last edited by Chipmik; 28-08-16 at 08:41. Reason: Link added
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 28-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks Chipmik I will try tomorrow evening. Startinf to think if this the right car for me. I only do around 8 miles of motorway per day, the other 16 miles are on country roads at 50-60mph. I miss my GT
AO Member

County: Nordjylland
Garage
I think your right..A diesel, any diesel in fact, is not build for such short trips...Youll have this problem over & over again, as the engine needs to be heated fully up before any regen of the DPF can/will take place + then approx 10-15 mins to do the regen-cycle...There might be small differences between carmanufacturers, but all got DPF on diesels (at least here in EU) due to antipullution, so petrol sounds like the only choice for you in my opinion.
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 01-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

I took it for a long drive and regen didnt start first I tried it with the MAF unplugged and then with the MAF plugged after a few mins of driving it came back with the p2002 error code again. I continued to drive but didnt notice any regen either. Does this mean I need a new MAF?
Anyone local to aylesbury how can do a forced regen?
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheebie View Post
I took it for a long drive and regen didnt start first I tried it with the MAF unplugged and then with the MAF plugged after a few mins of driving it came back with the p2002 error code again. I continued to drive but didnt notice any regen either. Does this mean I need a new MAF?

Anyone local to aylesbury how can do a forced regen?

If you are in Aylesbury, Paul at A for Alfa is your best best, he knows his stuff and a great independent to have on your door step.

Any spelling/ grammatical errors are purely there to annoy!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , alfa , idle , jtdm , rough