Brera 2.2 petrol engine going over bumps problem - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Status: #RussiansDidIt
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Russian Federation
County: St. Petersburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
Do the math
We don't need no education...
hi, teachers, leave those kids alone...

Sorry bro... Drag and Drop function does not work for me at this moment. I do not know why.
I have something to attach to upset you but I can not.
BuonGiorno is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: turning heads everywhere
AO Silver Member
 
lussoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Preston
County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonGiorno View Post
We don't need no education...
hi, teachers, leave those kids alone...

Sorry bro... Drag and Drop function does not work for me at this moment. I do not know why.
I have something to attach to upset you but I can not.
Good song, but not convinced in your case...

Intrigued to know how I might get upset - my skin's quite thick you know
lussoman is offline  
Status: There. For the time being...
AO Member
 
freelunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater London
Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
Do the math
And it's not 12mm, it's 25mm or an inch.
The tyre is an inch taller, but it centres on the hub, so the car is only raised 12mm.
freelunch is offline  
 
Status: #RussiansDidIt
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Russian Federation
County: St. Petersburg
I do not argue mms.
215/55/16 is about 12, mm vs 235/25/18
215/60/16 is also about same 12, mm ( 215*0,05) vs 215/55/16
I argue size. 215/55/16 is exact mentioned in a book.
I can not attach file. Any Idea why.

Last edited by BuonGiorno; 30-08-16 at 21:27.
BuonGiorno is online now  
(Post Link) post #55 of 71 Old 30-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Hi Guys,

Alright guys, thanks for all your comments it is most helpful.
Good fortune for me is that there is another Brera 08 number plate parked across the road from me that I can compare with! I have sneakily inspected his one and it has NO scratches on his undertray whatsoever!
OK, now I have a few comparison photos of our undertrays: The first pic is my car (undertray appears to be hanging), and the second pic is his car (my car as 16" tyres whereas he has 18" wheels).
It seems he has no problem with the humps as he has much more clearance than mine! I need to find who owns it and ask him directly for sure!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-08-27 12.55.59.jpg (125.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-08-29 17.36.29.jpg (108.5 KB, 11 views)
fong21051 is offline  
Status: #RussiansDidIt
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Russian Federation
County: St. Petersburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by fong21051 View Post
Hi Guys,

Alright guys, thanks for all your comments it is most helpful.
Good fortune for me is that there is another Brera 08 number plate parked across the road from me that I can compare with! I have sneakily inspected his one and it has NO scratches on his undertray whatsoever!
OK, now I have a few comparison photos of our undertrays: The first pic is my car (undertray appears to be hanging), and the second pic is his car (my car as 16" tyres whereas he has 18" wheels).
It seems he has no problem with the humps as he has much more clearance than mine! I need to find who owns it and ask him directly for sure!
Is much more clearance fits to 12, mm differ your view ???...
BuonGiorno is online now  
Status: turning heads everywhere
AO Silver Member
 
lussoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Preston
County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonGiorno View Post
I do not argue mms.
215/55/16 is about 12, mm vs 235/25/18
215/60/16 is also about same 12, mm ( 215*0,05) vs 215/55/16
I argue size. 215/55/16 is exact mentioned in a book.
I can not attach file. Any Idea why.
Use this Alloy Wheels & Tyres for sale: for Cars, Motorhomes, Vans & 4x4s: Best UK prices with TYRESAVE. Also part-worn tyres or something similar, plenty of choice if you Google.
26mm difference with the incorrect (55) 16'' tyres, only 5mm with the correct (60) ones.
lussoman is offline  
Status: #RussiansDidIt
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Russian Federation
County: St. Petersburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
Use this Alloy Wheels & Tyres for sale: for Cars, Motorhomes, Vans & 4x4s: Best UK prices with TYRESAVE. Also part-worn tyres or something similar, plenty of choice if you Google.
26mm difference with the incorrect (55) 16'' tyres, only 5mm with the correct (60) ones.
Looks like you do not understand exactly we having been talked about here.
We are talking here how much car body might be raised up to be more bumps friendly because of tires.
If 215/60/16 vs 215/55/16 shows up 26 mm difference in overall diameter, it raises car body a half of overall diameter only 13 mm.
BuonGiorno is online now  
Status: -
AO Gold Member
 
Wezley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Images: 27
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fong21051 View Post
Hi Guys,

Alright guys, thanks for all your comments it is most helpful.
Good fortune for me is that there is another Brera 08 number plate parked across the road from me that I can compare with! I have sneakily inspected his one and it has NO scratches on his undertray whatsoever!
OK, now I have a few comparison photos of our undertrays: The first pic is my car (undertray appears to be hanging), and the second pic is his car (my car as 16" tyres whereas he has 18" wheels).
It seems he has no problem with the humps as he has much more clearance than mine! I need to find who owns it and ask him directly for sure!
My 159 is currently similar to yours. The undertray was split and damaged when I bought the car. It's been off in my possession at least twice, last time by a specialist. The other week after getting it back I had to mount a kerb to pass a bus (small access road, God only knows why they send a bus up it anyway) and it fell off. I've now fastened it up with new bolts and a good few cable ties but it still sags. There is only one road out from where I live and it's a 20mph zone (as many are today) and full of 'pillow' type speed bumps. They give all my cars grief but currently the 159 gets most.
The 916 used to be the worst but since Gus@Alfatune has had it, it now clears if I'm careful. Undertrays.....

Priorities I find, are usually someone else's.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
Wezley is offline  
Status: All Hell's A-Coming
AO Platinum Member
 
Tata4Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: France
County: Riviera
Garage
I never once parked the Brera or 159 on a kerb.
Just not worth the risk.
Especially the 1750 159 on 17s which was pretty low.
And the 18s on the Brera get kerbed if you just look at 'em funny.

You should see where/how I park the Tata Tractor...

Tata4Now is offline  
(Post Link) post #61 of 71 Old 31-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
So from my comparison pics of 2 Breras, does my undertray appear to be sagging? I am considering to take it to a Body shop so they can create me a custom aluminium one but probably be expensive. But it is worth it if it resolves the scraping issue (it scares people if I have passengers in my car )
fong21051 is offline  
Status: All Hell's A-Coming
AO Platinum Member
 
Tata4Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: France
County: Riviera
Garage
Won't Vectra wheels fit? Those should be cheap...
Tata4Now is offline  
Status: turning heads everywhere
AO Silver Member
 
lussoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Preston
County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonGiorno View Post
Looks like you do not understand exactly we having been talked about here.
We are talking here how much car body might be raised up to be more bumps friendly because of tires.
If 215/60/16 vs 215/55/16 shows up 26 mm difference in overall diameter, it raises car body a half of overall diameter only 13 mm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonGiorno View Post
I do not argue mms.
215/55/16 is about 12, mm vs 235/25/18
215/60/16 is also about same 12, mm ( 215*0,05) vs 215/55/16
I argue size. 215/55/16 is exact mentioned in a book.
I can not attach file. Any Idea why.
I fully understand.
What I've been pointing out and trying to stop is the misinformation - this site doesn't need it.
Contradictions and incorrect comparisons help nobody.
lussoman is offline  
Status: #RussiansDidIt
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Russian Federation
County: St. Petersburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahmanoff View Post
...Roads in Kyiv is near perfect...
Best regards to you from your compatriot from St.Pbrg.
He does no maintain your idea about your roads.
BuonGiorno is online now  
Status: -
AO Member
 
rahmanoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ukraine
County: Kyiv
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonGiorno View Post
Best regards to you from your compatriot from St.Pbrg.
He does no maintain your idea about your roads.
I hope this info will be usefull for this thread.
rahmanoff is offline  
Status: #RussiansDidIt
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Russian Federation
County: St. Petersburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahmanoff View Post
I hope this info will be usefull for this thread.
I have made a nice picture for you today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0072[1].jpg (94.8 KB, 8 views)
BuonGiorno is online now  
(Post Link) post #67 of 71 Old 31-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
any comments/opinions of the pics I posted regarding the 2 Breras undertray comparison?
fong21051 is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Rewe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Norfolk
Sorry, I still can't tell from the pictures. If you really can't get under it yourself, the easiest thing to do would be to take it to any garage at all and ask them to have a look. Let us know what you find.

Have you seen the post suggesting 60 profile tyres?
lussoman likes this.
Rewe is offline  
(Post Link) post #69 of 71 Old 31-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewe View Post
Sorry, I still can't tell from the pictures. If you really can't get under it yourself, the easiest thing to do would be to take it to any garage at all and ask them to have a look. Let us know what you find.

Have you seen the post suggesting 60 profile tyres?
OK thanks Rewe. From my visual opinion I believe it is the sagging undertray causing the bad scraping. I tried to look to buy a replacement undertray but they are impossible to find online for the Brera.
I was thinking to have a body shop create a custom aluminium one for me so will be a bit pricey..
I have seen the arguement of the 60 profile tyres (which was a good chuckle) but this will only raise the car by 12mm which I don't believe is enough clearance
fong21051 is offline  
Status: #RussiansDidIt
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Russian Federation
County: St. Petersburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by fong21051 View Post
any comments/opinions of the pics I posted regarding the 2 Breras undertray comparison?
One of them is definitely lower.
My view your problem is not conected to wheels&tires size.
Your problem is either sagging undertray you call it against body or let say sagging body together with undertray against suspension. Just bear in mind that undertray may not just sagg itself since it is fixed with 3 dozens of different bolts but it may loose a half of them. This can be easily check and fixed cheap way if any.
BuonGiorno is online now  
Status: Driving in an Alfa wonderland
AO Member
 
SpiderSaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hedge End, Southampton
County: Hampshire
Garage
Stick it into an indy and get it checked over, this thread is just doing circles now.
We already know the wheel size is wrong, just maybe thats why Alfa changed them pretty soon after the Brera launch.
Me ? I would just avoid the speed bumps or at least until its been checked over and sorted.
SpiderSaint is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
brera , bumps , engine , petrol , problem

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome