Twin Cat 2.2JTS - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 23-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Essex
Twin Cat 2.2JTS

Hi,

The twin cat has gone on my 159 2.2JTS. It will currently pass the MOT at places with new machines but not at places with the older MOT machines. The car runs fine although there is a slight rattle at times where the cat has broken up inside. My understanding is that a new cat costs an absolute fortune and isn't worth doing - around 3k apparently for the 2.2. Does anyone know where I can buy a new cat at a reasonable price?

I can continue with my current cat but of course, eventually it will break completely such that it will no-longer pass an MOT and may effect performance so I would like to sort out the issue if I can. I have seen several second hand cats for sale, some with 90 day warranties on them, which will fix the problem but being second hand, it is a bit of a gamble.

I don't really want to sell my car as it's a lovely car and everything else is in perfect condition.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
You could get a good second hand set of twin cats. Give Liam at Autolusso a ring 01582 869560
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 25-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks. I'm ideally looking for alternatives to a second hand cat if possible. I know several second hand ones that I can buy but there are obvious risks with a second hand one and it is still fairly expensive.

AO Silver Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Garage
Supersprint and the like used to sell the second double cat in sport cat mode. Does not seem to be in their catalogue now.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbyjack2005 View Post
Thanks. I'm ideally looking for alternatives to a second hand cat if possible. I know several second hand ones that I can buy but there are obvious risks with a second hand one and it is still fairly expensive.
I don't think there are any pattern parts available, but even if there were I would advise against using one. My experience of pattern replacement cats is that they only work for a year or two and then the car starts failing MOT emissions tests again, as they just don't contain enough precious metals to be properly effective.
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 26-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swq4 View Post
Supersprint and the like used to sell the second double cat in sport cat mode. Does not seem to be in their catalogue now.
Thanks. I have emailed them and asked. Let's see what they come back with.
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 26-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
I don't think there are any pattern parts available, but even if there were I would advise against using one. My experience of pattern replacement cats is that they only work for a year or two and then the car starts failing MOT emissions tests again, as they just don't contain enough precious metals to be properly effective.
Thanks, makes sense but I think i would trust a new pattern part more than I would paying 250+ for a second hand one that I really have only the word of the seller of how many miles it's done as even a genuine one will start breaking up and failing MOT's after a certain period of time/miles. At least you get a proper guarantee for new parts and plenty of mechanics won't fit second hand parts for that very reason.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbyjack2005 View Post
Thanks, makes sense but I think i would trust a new pattern part more than I would paying 250+ for a second hand one that I really have only the word of the seller of how many miles it's done as even a genuine one will start breaking up and failing MOT's after a certain period of time/miles. At least you get a proper guarantee for new parts and plenty of mechanics won't fit second hand parts for that very reason.
Your money your choice at the end of the day. My advice would be to go used, I fix these for a living and see far too many pattern cats last only a year or two before they cease working.

For what its worth I've never had to change a cat on a 2.2 JTS, they seem very reliable. Most Alfa cats last a lifetime and are broken only through some other component being at fault or if the car is ran with mixture/ignition problems causing the cat to overheat or block.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
22jts , cat , twin

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page