nightmare - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By giblets46

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 21-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

nightmare

Car has been running a bit odd lately so i've but some injector cleaner through it and when it was down to the red light i put a tank of premium diesel in her. Done 15 miles and she conked out, luckily a street from home.
Green flag man came out this morning and pulled the pipe off to see if fuel was getting through and he said, this smells like petrol.
I said it shouldn't do as i've a receipt here for 65 litres of premium diesel. clearly saying diesel and i remember checking it was a black pump with diesel written on the handle.
anyway it's getting recovered to a garage to have it checked and pumped clean tomorrow. I've been to the fuel station and told them so no one else is affected by it but they're adamant they check when they get a delivery by two people.
i'd filled her right up so it couldn't have been tainted by anyone putting anything in it, as there wasn't room. god knows where this'll end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Guessing you have your receipt?!
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

How would they pump petrol through a diesel pump without the whole lot being wrong? Surely it's all routed to a storage tank so if you're affected, then others should be too.

Similar situation here if it's of any use to you, sounds like contaminated fuel.
Wrong fuel in car from BP garage South London

And more of the same:
http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/view...28646&start=30

AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
I said it shouldn't do as i've a receipt here for 65 litres of premium diesel. clearly saying diesel and i remember checking it was a black pump with diesel written on the handle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by giblets46 View Post
Guessing you have your receipt?!
Er, I think that's a yes.

Filling stations do make mistakes.
I remember this in my area a few years back:
Fuel bungle hits drivers - Lancashire Evening Post
(Post Link) post #5 of 18 Old 21-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

thanks AO family, makes me feel better. only went to this station as i knew they did performance diesel, usually go sainsburys.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
Er, I think that's a yes.

Filling stations do make mistakes.
I remember this in my area a few years back:
Fuel bungle hits drivers - Lancashire Evening Post
D'oh! yes! Sorry!

On that point though, very few people will pay extra for 'diesel premium' (if that is the extra expesnive one), so may explain why they've not had any other complaints. Maybe ask them how many people use it, and then ask if you can have a look at the pump in question? Even a sniff of the nozzle might give a clue.
lussoman likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

brera 2.4 - NERO

Where did you go Jim?.....and get the garage where the car is to recheck its petrol before the empty the tank. Surprised you managed 15 miles before it quit on you. Maybe its contamination from a flushing fluid used at the station pumps, accidently mixed in with the diesel, it took 15 miles for your tankful to settle in the car, with this sinking below the diesel and being dragged through the fuel pump etc. Possibility just to remove a gallon or so to clear the contamination?
Also, what 'injector cleaner' did you use?.....some ain't very tolerant with diesel (and some do jack s**t). I always use Archoil products, and nothing less. Gimme a shout before you fill up again and I'll give you a small concentrated bottle of AR6200 which will help stabilise any last dregs left in the fuel system.
AO Member

County: -
Is it too late to go back with a 5 litre can to take a sample - if it's petrol a quick sniff would tell you.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

brera 2.4 - NERO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogrip View Post
Is it too late to go back with a 5 litre can to take a sample - if it's petrol a quick sniff would tell you.
so would a match
(Post Link) post #10 of 18 Old 22-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfahemi View Post
Where did you go Jim?.....and get the garage where the car is to recheck its petrol before the empty the tank. Surprised you managed 15 miles before it quit on you. Maybe its contamination from a flushing fluid used at the station pumps, accidently mixed in with the diesel, it took 15 miles for your tankful to settle in the car, with this sinking below the diesel and being dragged through the fuel pump etc. Possibility just to remove a gallon or so to clear the contamination?
Also, what 'injector cleaner' did you use?.....some ain't very tolerant with diesel (and some do jack s**t). I always use Archoil products, and nothing less. Gimme a shout before you fill up again and I'll give you a small concentrated bottle of AR6200 which will help stabilise any last dregs left in the fuel system.
Went to the shell garage on the edge of Rushden. I was down to the red light light,, so managed to put 65 litres in. Bloke who was sent out to pump it out said it was definitely petrol and he said you'd done well to do 15 miles. Must have been the last knocking of the diesel. He couldn't get it started, so awaiting been flag to get back to me. Originally they said they were going to recover it to a garage they use for such cases. My indy said I'll need a new fuel filter.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

brera 2.4 - NERO

Quote:
Went to the shell garage on the edge of Rushden. I was down to the red light light,, so managed to put 65 litres in. Bloke who was sent out to pump it out said it was definitely petrol and he said you'd done well to do 15 miles. Must have been the last knocking of the diesel. He couldn't get it started, so awaiting been flag to get back to me. Originally they said they were going to recover it to a garage they use for such cases. My indy said I'll need a new fuel filter.
If it's confirmed petrol, be aware that you may need more than a filter change. Petrol in a diesel can lead to big failures, not only is it much more volatile, its being injected into the engine at extreme pressure, compared to petrol injectors. Great possibility of pre detonation, both at the injection, and also at compression, (compression rates are a lot lot higher in Diesel compared to petrol engines). If there was pre-detonation, this could cause excessive strain onto the piston heads (as well as conrods/crank) as the pre ignition explosion would in effect be trying to force the pistons backwards before they had reached top stroke.......all worst case scenario though.

You do need to run a full fuel system flush though, as well as draining to make sure there is no petrol left anywhere in the system. Once that's done, it is then important to run a fuel system conditioner through with the next part tank of fuel, preferably letting the engine tick over unloaded for 20-30 minutes too. This is because the petrol that's been through the system (pump and injectors) would act like thinners and strip the natural lubrication they receive from the diesel....otherwise these parts may fail in the near future.

I will say though, that I filled up with half a tank of premium from the same garage (Croyland Motors) on Saturday afternoon, without any ill effects (I'm presuming that Croyland only have the one holding tank?). I generally don't bother with the premium, and use standard and add my own additive, as I don't think you get as much bang for your buck as that you do for premium unleaded, but I hadn't got my bottle in the glove compartment at the time.

Your local Indy?.....Mark at Northants Alfa in Wellingboro'?
(Post Link) post #12 of 18 Old 23-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

Yeah, got it towed to him this lunch time. He's a top bloke, been using him for nearly ten years.
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire
What's the petrol stations view on this assume you told them?. Not far from me at Rushden, based nr Bedford. :-)
(Post Link) post #14 of 18 Old 24-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

went down there sunday, after the green flag man said it was petrol in it. naturally the woman behind the counter said it wasn't their fault, we get this all the time yadda yadda yadda. suppose i'll have to make a claim through the small claims court. i'm leaving that to my legally qualified mate.
picking the car up tomorrow morning, he's flushed it through, serviced it, changed all the filters and put some additives through it.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
went down there sunday, after the green flag man said it was petrol in it. naturally the woman behind the counter said it wasn't their fault, we get this all the time yadda yadda yadda. suppose i'll have to make a claim through the small claims court. i'm leaving that to my legally qualified mate.
picking the car up tomorrow morning, he's flushed it through, serviced it, changed all the filters and put some additives through it.
Did you go to the pump and have a look?
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
It might be an idea to get your local paper involved if you're struggling with evidence to say that the garage were at fault.
If you're certain you didn't stick the wrong juice in, then there must be others with a similar problem.
(Post Link) post #17 of 18 Old 24-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

funnily enough one of the staff was cleaning the pump i'd used. 100% sure of using the right pump. i'll keep you informed of any progress.
AO Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

2.4JTDM 159Ti SW

Local press and legal advice for sure!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
nightmare

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page