Battery Failed or Parasitic Drain?
Issues with my 2009 Alfa 159 1.9 diesel 16valve 150.
I replaced the battery in May 2014, so its only 2.5 years old. Went flat during last winter (at only 2 years old). I figured it was just the cold, so I charged it. All was good for a few months. It went flat again recently, I charged it and it seemed OK again. No other issues with the car.
Following a 700+ mile trip, left the car for only 1 week and its totally dead. Not enough power to open the locks! I opened the door manually with the key and opened the bonnet. The car alarm did not go off (I thought it would - does a key in the lock deactivate it?). I have a spare car battery sitting about (thought it was good and charged), so tried a jump start from that, but it turns out that battery is also dead, so its gone now. There was however enough power from the jump battery to activate the car alarm! Took away the extra battery and everything went off again.
Stuck the charger on and the car alarm went a bit strange - not the normal siren, but an ascending/descending siren noise. Figuring this would take most of the charger power, I disconnected the battery to charge it.... couple of days later. Full battery, engine starts V easily. Locking/unlocking the car using the remote key and the locks work and the indicators flash (once for activate alarm, twice for deactivate), but there is no beep. I activated it with a window open and test the alarm - works, but with a different siren pattern to normal.
I need advice on the alarm please: Can you change the alarm siren pattern and turn on/off the activation beeps? How?
I also need advice on the electrics: I suspect it is just the battery, but it has failed very young! Voltage is around 14 when engine on so alternator is OK.
Amp draw: On first connecting, the car starts with a draw of 1.5ish amps and over maybe 30 seconds drops down to a settled 0.07A. This is little higher than online searches recommend (over 0.05A is a potential parasitic draw). Does this seem normal for the 159, or a bit high? Should I test the amp draw for longer?
Thank you all (again!)