goodyear eagle f1 assym3 tyres.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 15Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 36 Old 19-08-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Herefordshire
goodyear eagle f1 assym3 tyres....

Hi All,

The previous owner of my alfa thought 40 quid was enough to spend on tyres, and they are awful. truly truly terrible in every way.

im going to ditch and replace with something better, and so far favour GY eagle f1 assym 3.

However, ive just read that they are not meant to be used during winter at or around freezing temperatures and through snow as they are a summer tyre and they might start cracking?!. Surely this applies to most tyres in the uk as we don't tend to bother with winter tyres? (although I am considering it if the winter looks to be consistently cold through out.

I like the wet grip and noise rating on these and have read good things generally, hence my pref...but not so keen anymore if they are going to fall about during a cold snap....

'08 159 Lusso 2.4JTDm Q-Tronic Sportwagon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

159 2.4

I use P Zero Nero GTs on my Lusso with 18" horseshoes which have impressed me after previously using Kumho's. Having said that my friend with a Brera swears by Michelin Primacy 3's.

I'd rather not use a tyre that can't be used in all conditions... especially if I lived in Manchester! But then i can't be arsed to switch tyres every time it gets a little bit cold.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFA A View Post
I use P Zero Nero GTs on my Lusso with 18" horseshoes which have impressed me after previously using Kumho's. Having said that my friend with a Brera swears by Michelin Primacy 3's.

I'd rather not use a tyre that can't be used in all conditions... especially if I lived in Manchester! But then i can't be arsed to switch tyres every time it gets a little bit cold.

Ummm, all "summer tyres" will have some disclaimer somewhere that says they are not to be used in cold conditions.

Your examples of "all weather tyres":

Pirelli P Zero Nero GT: Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels "Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45 Fahrenheit (7 Celsius), so the P Zero Nero GT, like all summer tires, is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

Michelin Primacy 3: Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels "While Primacy 3 tires are designed to offer reliable traction in dry and wet conditions in warm ambient temperatures, they are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

You'll see this said on all tyres that aren't "winter tyres". All non-winter tyres do worse and are at risk of degradation when it's cold. That's just the way it is.

(Post Link) post #4 of 36 Old 19-08-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFA A View Post

yeh im teetering between primacy 3s and the goodyear assym 3s....finally setted on the goodyears as they seemed to be maybe slightly more compliant and quieter so better for long distance comfort.

im tempted to get some 17 inch wheels somewhere for my winters as winter tyres are cheaper in that size if this is the way I need to go.

Im moving south next month to Bristol anyway so hopefully less coldy snowdy rubbish to put up with
(Post Link) post #5 of 36 Old 19-08-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorget2 View Post
Ummm, all "summer tyres" will have some disclaimer somewhere that says they are not to be used in cold conditions.

Your examples of "all weather tyres":

Pirelli P Zero Nero GT: Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels "Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45 Fahrenheit (7 Celsius), so the P Zero Nero GT, like all summer tires, is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

Michelin Primacy 3: Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels "While Primacy 3 tires are designed to offer reliable traction in dry and wet conditions in warm ambient temperatures, they are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

You'll see this said on all tyres that aren't "winter tyres". All non-winter tyres do worse and are at risk of degradation when it's cold. That's just the way it is.
Ah ok, that's ok then...if they all have it as a standard disclaimer then I don't mind. Thought at first it may have been just these goodyears :P which would have put me off somewhat
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
I will never buy Goodyears again, that after a long time using them:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/gener...goodyears.html (Disappointing Goodyears)
AO Silver Member

'Ordinary' tyres not to be used in winter? What the hell have we been getting away with for the last goodness how many years? Is this a ploy by the tyre makers to get us buying winter tyres? Sure up north I'd probably use them, but anywhere south of, say, M4 are they really needed?
Philjay50 likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

brera 2.4 - NERO

i'm using the assy3.....pretty damn good tyres.....low noise, don't tramline, very good grip, and pretty good wear so far. 245/40/19. Had problems with earlier Goodyears on GTFour, but these are a vast improvement. And only reason that Id change to winter tyres in our climate would be to put the 18s back on to keep the salt off the rims.
Larry92 likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Manufacturers say that summer tyres are best only in temperatures above 7C

Personally I think as long as it isn't icy or snowing they work just fine, especially after they have warmed up for a few hundred yards.

Certainly if you drive in snow or ice a lot then you would be better off with Winter tyres, but for the last couple of winters (Down south at least) we haven't had much of that.

The cynic might suggest that tyre manufacturers wish to sell you more tyres by suggesting that only winter tyres are suitable for cold weather.
Larry92 likes this.

You will never be cool driving a Vauxhall, especially if it catches fire.
AO Member

County: -
A tyre will soon drop to less than 7 degrees on a wet road and you're much more likely to need improved wet grip all year round so is there a safety argument to keep winters fitted all the time in the UK?
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
There have been queries answered by Goodyear where they confirm the rubber compound in their summer tyres becomes hard and brittle enough to possibly get damaged in winter. I don't know if this is any different for other brand top spec tyres though.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
The cynic might suggest that tyre manufacturers wish to sell you more tyres by suggesting that only winter tyres are suitable for cold weather.
I'm a cynic, but not falling for their dastardly plan!
Philjay50 and MalcQV like this.
AO Silver Member

I will have a set of 245/40 19R 98Y Goodyear F1 Assy 2 for sale soon. About 3000 miles on them no visible wear, but noisy. 250 the set. If you drive with your sound system cranked up they will be perfect.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogrip View Post
A tyre will soon drop to less than 7 degrees on a wet road and you're much more likely to need improved wet grip all year round so is there a safety argument to keep winters fitted all the time in the UK?
Winter tyres will wear faster and provide less dry grip than a summer tyre, especially in warmer weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore_Sportivo_155 View Post
There have been queries answered by Goodyear where they confirm the rubber compound in their summer tyres becomes hard and brittle enough to possibly get damaged in winter. I don't know if this is any different for other brand top spec tyres though.
They would say that, as they want to sell winter tyres for winter, even if they are not strictly needed.
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Winter tyres will wear faster and provide less dry grip than a summer tyre, especially in warmer weather.

They would say that, as they want to sell winter tyres for winter, even if they are not strictly needed.
Agreed.

but this was in the US, where most tyres are 4-season.
AO Member

County: -
I've just had some Assymetric 3's installed on the front. They are MUCH quieter than the Toyo's I had on there before and the car seems to handle with more confidence as well. Here's hoping for many 1000's of enjoyable miles
Larry92 likes this.
(Post Link) post #17 of 36 Old 21-08-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8VANTAGE View Post
I've just had some Assymetric 3's installed on the front. They are MUCH quieter than the Toyo's I had on there before and the car seems to handle with more confidence as well. Here's hoping for many 1000's of enjoyable miles
Fabulous - I know its confirmation bias to pay more attention to those that already agree with you, but It's good to hear success stories
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1019
County: West Midlands
Sorry to but in on your conversation, but I have been a fan of Good Years over the past couple of years - not that I'm going to promote them here though!! The issue with new tyres is the compounds that they are using to make them 'eco' tyres. What happens in the cold weather is they become much stiffer and brittle with less grip - more so than on older (non eco) tyres. I was informed that the the rubber becomes more like formica and it doesn't grip well at all. It isn't wet or damp that causes this, just the temperature. This issue has prompted Michelin to promote Cross-Climate widely (amongst other brands) and winter tyres in cold weather hold a more significant advantage over summer tyres. As more and more brands bring out new model (and more eco friendly) summer tyres this issue will become worse - particularly as cold weather performance is not measured on the tyre grading system.....and we all know that what gets measured gets done!
Larry92 likes this.

146 1.6TS, 156 2.0TS, 156 1.8TS, 147 1.6TS, 147 2.0TS, 159 1.9JTS, 147 1.6TS, 159 1.9JTDm, Mito 1.4, GT, Giulietta 2.0JTDm, Giulietta 1.4tb, Giulietta 1.6JTDm, Giulietta Cloverleaf........
AO Platinum Member

My Assymetric 2's were fine in the cold weather. But then they are not really sold as an Eco tyre, more of a maximum performance one.

I will have to see how the efficient grip performance perform on her indoors' Focus, as the are more of an eco tyre.

The Falken ZE-914 Eco run that we had on the old one were perfectly fine in the cold.
(Post Link) post #20 of 36 Old 21-08-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

yeh Im not interested in eco-tyres....frankly the last thing you want to compromise on are tyres in my view. entire car contacts the road on less area than an A4 piece of paper and im generally a bit suspicious of these eco ones :P
AO Member

Garage
I had Michelin Pilot Super Sports and Pilot Sport 2 tyres on my old Corsa VXR, they were great in the summer, but below 10 degrees were awful, any boost what so ever would send them spinning. I have Pirelli Zero Nero GTs on the Spider, seem to grip ok and pretty quiet.
AO Member

County: Bielsko-Biala
Garage
I have fitted GY Eagle F1 Assy 3 just 3 weeks ago and did around 800km as far. It is hard to make any decent review after so short usage time. This is pretty new tyre on the market, so also not a lot of reviews, and no long term use information.
I can only say that they seem very good as far - way better than Kumho Ecsta SPT KU31 I had originally fitted on my current 159. With my modded TBI to 240BHP/370Nm GYs nearly never turn on traction control on dynamic accelerating (epsecially on curly roads), where it wasn't the case on Kumho. GYs are much quieter also.
I'm using 235/45R18 size.

In my previous 159 (JTDm, modded), I had Michelin Primacy HP, I was quite happy with them, but GYs on current seem better (clear difference in wet).

How they age or behave at lower temperature will find out later.
(Post Link) post #23 of 36 Old 22-08-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Ah that's great to hear, thank you. I will be fitting the same size as you, 235/45 18 98Y I'll go for so glad you find them quiet and grippy (my main considerations)

Cheers
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1019
Don't get me wrong on this - it isn't tyres branded as eco models, it's all tyres. The manufacturers are having to find different compounds for their newer models to cut down emissions in their manufacture as well as those the vehicle produce whilst in motion. Cold weather tyres have a lot more natural rubber in them and its expensive and wears quickly. In order to compete with the cheaper brands, cut emissions, do less harm to the environment during manufacture, the compounds are changing. You'll notice that winter tyres are getting more expensive in comparison to summer tyres because they can't replace the natural rubber in them. If you were able to compare a new summer tyre from a leading manufacturer five years ago with a new summer tyre from the same leading manufacturer now, given identical conditions, the more recent tyre will perform worse in cold weather. Fortunately the weather in the UK seems to be getting warmer (if wetter) so in some respects there is less need for cold weather tyres. But if we do get some really cold weather - watch what happens: more people will struggle to cope, in spite of more electronic aids (eQ2 and the like) that should help and in spite of 4wd.
Larry92 likes this.
(Post Link) post #25 of 36 Old 22-08-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypj View Post
Don't get me wrong on this - it isn't tyres branded as eco models, it's all tyres. The manufacturers are having to find different compounds for their newer models to cut down emissions in their manufacture as well as those the vehicle produce whilst in motion. Cold weather tyres have a lot more natural rubber in them and its expensive and wears quickly. In order to compete with the cheaper brands, cut emissions, do less harm to the environment during manufacture, the compounds are changing. You'll notice that winter tyres are getting more expensive in comparison to summer tyres because they can't replace the natural rubber in them. If you were able to compare a new summer tyre from a leading manufacturer five years ago with a new summer tyre from the same leading manufacturer now, given identical conditions, the more recent tyre will perform worse in cold weather. Fortunately the weather in the UK seems to be getting warmer (if wetter) so in some respects there is less need for cold weather tyres. But if we do get some really cold weather - watch what happens: more people will struggle to cope, in spite of more electronic aids (eQ2 and the like) that should help and in spite of 4wd.

ahh ok fair enough, thanks.

im currently thinking of getting a second set of front alloys and two winter tyres, nokian wr d4 or something, for winter for the front...shouldhelp me out. not sure UK weather warrants 4 winter tyres really. unless there is a very good reason not to only fit two (I guess a query about oversteering/losing the back) but if things are that slippy then should be being extra careful anyway....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
assym3 , eagle , goodyear , tyres

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page