goodyear eagle f1 assym3 tyres.... - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 15Likes

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by andypj View Post
Don't get me wrong on this - it isn't tyres branded as eco models, it's all tyres. The manufacturers are having to find different compounds for their newer models to cut down emissions in their manufacture as well as those the vehicle produce whilst in motion. Cold weather tyres have a lot more natural rubber in them and its expensive and wears quickly. In order to compete with the cheaper brands, cut emissions, do less harm to the environment during manufacture, the compounds are changing. You'll notice that winter tyres are getting more expensive in comparison to summer tyres because they can't replace the natural rubber in them. If you were able to compare a new summer tyre from a leading manufacturer five years ago with a new summer tyre from the same leading manufacturer now, given identical conditions, the more recent tyre will perform worse in cold weather. Fortunately the weather in the UK seems to be getting warmer (if wetter) so in some respects there is less need for cold weather tyres. But if we do get some really cold weather - watch what happens: more people will struggle to cope, in spite of more electronic aids (eQ2 and the like) that should help and in spite of 4wd.
So you are saying that as a side effect of environmental regulations more tyres have to be produced?

What idiot though that was good for the environment?
andypj, MalcQV and Larry92 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
I'd actually get 4 season tyres for winter use in our climate. then you don't need to worry about a warm or cold winter or the best time to fit them.

And that's what I did, I got 4 michelin crossclimates for winter use. If you want a more winter oriented tyre though, you could get goodyear vectors.

the CC are miles ahead of any summer tyre in true winter conditions, but don't go off if it's unusually warm.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
So you are saying that as a side effect of environmental regulations more tyres have to be produced?

What idiot though that was good for the environment?
not really, as only the pair in use wears...

(Post Link) post #29 of 36 Old 22-08-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Herefordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore_Sportivo_155 View Post
I'd actually get 4 season tyres for winter use in our climate. then you don't need to worry about a warm or cold winter or the best time to fit them.

And that's what I did, I got 4 michelin crossclimates for winter use. If you want a more winter oriented tyre though, you could get goodyear vectors.

the CC are miles ahead of any summer tyre in true winter conditions, but don't go off if it's unusually warm.
Yeh I saw the crossclimates, they sounds good. they aren't 3 peak rated I dont think, but that's probably not super important in the UK haha
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry92 View Post
Yeh I saw the crossclimates, they sounds good. they aren't 3 peak rated I dont think, but that's probably not super important in the UK haha
they are 3 peak rated!

They're not high performance tyres though, the sidewalls and threads are soft and wallowy, much like a Uniroyal Rainsport. But that's in part whatgives them good traction on snow and ice.
(Post Link) post #31 of 36 Old 22-08-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Herefordshire
Quote:
they are 3 peak rated!

They're not high performance tyres though, the sidewalls and threads are soft and wallowy, much like a Uniroyal Rainsport. But that's in part whatgives them good traction on snow and ice.
Ah so they are, my bad!

they don't do them in 18 inch though so would need a second set of 17inch wheels. Well,they have one size in 18 inch which is too low a profile for its width
AO Member

County: West Midlands
Garage
Ive started to realise, it alright having winter tyres on the car for very poor conditions, but unfortunately there are many other road users that haven't, always travel way too fast for the conditions on the road, chances are, unless your in the highlands or a very remote part of the UK, I don't need these winter tyres. Best advice is just to slow down when the road conditions are poor, you'll get there, just slower, but in one piece. With the Giulietta both me and the wife are very impressed at how stable in All Weather mode the car is (well done Alfa, this really is very impressive).
Larry92 likes this.

Giulietta 170 MA TCT Business Edition/Spider 3.2 V6 Q4
AO Gold Member

last winter, a lot of cars got nowhere here in my neighbourhood until the snow got cleared. Unfortunately, they blocked the roads for us with winter capable tyres.
andypj likes this.
AO Member

County: Bielsko-Biala
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry92 View Post
ahh ok fair enough, thanks.

im currently thinking of getting a second set of front alloys and two winter tyres, nokian wr d4 or something, for winter for the front...shouldhelp me out. not sure UK weather warrants 4 winter tyres really. unless there is a very good reason not to only fit two (I guess a query about oversteering/losing the back) but if things are that slippy then should be being extra careful anyway....
2 winter on front and 2 summer tires on back in the same time sounds very dodgy to me.
If you do a lot of milage, 2nd set of tires is not that much cost at the end (overall additional cost per km; also they won't manage to age before worn out). Though in UK, I'm not sure if you need winter tyres ever (unless one lives in mountains somewhere in Scotland?). In other hand if you do e.g. dynamic driving, want best performance out of tires, you probably won't be satisfied with 4 seasons tires ever, as they are never very good comparing to season dedicated tires. Hard choice then.
Just thinking if more optimal combination for UK drivers wouldn't be 2 sets of tires summer for warm time, and 4 seasons tires for winter time (but maybe ones of more winter oriented)? Just idea, but maybe better than summer + winter tires, as you rahter have mild winters, and so winter tires woun't ever have chances to beat 4season tires, and in other hand, in warmer days, may even be noticeably worse choice.
However, if one does not do big mileages, high speeds, do not want the cost/hassle of tire changes, do not have place to store other tire set, then probably more optimal for most of UK lads is to go for best all season tyres and slow down a bit to compensate for their lacks vs dedicated tires in extreme conditions.

I had some kind of similar dilemas for my Wife's Giulietta, but motivation was slightly different. My wife does maybe 5kkm/year mileage only, so I knew from start that if I go for 2 sets of tires so costs and hassle, and additionally after 6 years and probably 30kkm mileage, I will bin both sets, just because aged rubber won't do required(safe?) performance anymore (nonetheless thread still will be >50%). I considered to buy top 4season tires in the time (I think they were GY Vector 4s os someting like that), and put on sale on ebay like service brand new Conti Sport Contact 3 the car was about to be delivered with. But as I live just at edge of mountians (and have sometimes a lot of snow and often ice and sub zero temperatures), at the end I decided that I can't allow compromises. I left CSC3 for summer and bought Conti Winter Contact TS850 for winter. Aside of hassle, CWC are brilliant in Giulietta, only cons I recognize is that it is loud . I have them aso on 159 (just bit bigger size), and they are OK, but not that impresive(heavier car, more power?)).

Not sure if I helped, no prefect solution exists thats for sure. Find your priorities and make your choice.
Philjay50 and Larry92 like this.

Last edited by epsonix; 22-08-16 at 23:31.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1019
County: West Midlands
Quote:
last winter, a lot of cars got nowhere here in my neighbourhood until the snow got cleared. Unfortunately, they blocked the roads for us with winter capable tyres.
and this really is the issue, certainly in the UK. If you live in an urban area whether you have winter tyres or not you haven't got a chance because most people will be using summer tyres & have little or no grip & end up blocking the road.

But then can you imagine the outcry if it was legislated that between the months of November and March cold weather or all season tyres were compulsory?
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypj View Post
and this really is the issue, certainly in the UK. If you live in an urban area whether you have winter tyres or not you haven't got a chance because most people will be using summer tyres & have little or no grip & end up blocking the road.

But then can you imagine the outcry if it was legislated that between the months of November and March cold weather or all season tyres were compulsory?
you don't ned that at all. But, if you cause trouble because you don't have them, you should be able to be fined. So then you have a choice, stay on summers and in the event of wintery weather stay home or use the bus, or get winters/4-seasons which you may or may not need.

I'm sure the legislation is technically there: the car must be fit for use before you take off.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
assym3 , eagle , goodyear , tyres

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page