Anyone know how to get into the door mirror on a 939? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 19-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Suffolk
Garage
Anyone know how to get into the door mirror on a 939?

I park the Spider in a narrow garage, and need the mirrors folded to get in. The driver's side mirror is now sometimes reluctant to unfold, though the motor sounds ok. Can anyone advise how on earth you get inside these things so that I can have a look at (and poke about at) what's going on? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Spider 2.2JTS

Should be the same as on other Alfa models - the mirror/glass part pops out.
Best way to do this is to use the window suction mount from a GPS to grip and pull the glass forward - and then use a plastic spatula to kind of help it along as you are pulling it.
Set the glass from the mirror controls to its innermost angle to get in behind it with the spatula. It will sound terrible as you are prying it away, but that's normal.
Be clear that the risk of breaking the mirror glass is about 30% - go slowly - but you can order just the glass if it breaks.

PS. I have read on this forum in the past, that spraying copious amounts of lubricant into the mirror sometimes solves folding issues. When the mirror is in the folded position, I think their are holes/gaps underneath at the base to insert an extended nozzle to get the spray inside (I could be wrong). Then just spray lots in and see it is helps - worth a try before taking the thing apart.

Last edited by VeloceRagno; 19-08-16 at 08:58.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 19-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Suffolk
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceRagno View Post
Should be the same as on other Alfa models - the mirror/glass part pops out.
Best way to do this is to use the window suction mount from a GPS to grip and pull the glass forward - and then use a plastic spatula to kind of help it along as you are pulling it.
Set the glass from the mirror controls to its innermost angle to get in behind it with the spatula. It will sound terrible as you are prying it away, but that's normal.
Be clear that the risk of breaking the mirror glass is about 30% - go slowly - but you can order just the glass if it breaks.

PS. I have read on this forum in the past, that spraying copious amounts of lubricant into the mirror sometimes solves folding issues. When the mirror is in the folded position, I think their are holes/gaps underneath at the base to insert an extended nozzle to get the spray inside (I could be wrong). Then just spray lots in and see it is helps - worth a try before taking the thing apart.
That is really helpful! Many many thanks, VeloceRagno. I'll give the mirrors a good dousing in mechoil right now. Cheers!

AO Gold Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
As above, a confident pull on the glass should get it off, beware of the wires if it's a heated mirror.

The parts holding the glass in are I believe all plastic, but a bit of lubrication never goes amiss.

Go on pull it

Last edited by Verbout; 19-08-16 at 11:10.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
939 , door , mirror

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page