Brera 2.4 erratic idling - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chipmik
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 19-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: manchester
County: -england
Posts: 44
Garage

Member car:

Brera and GT

Wink Brera 2.4 erratic idling

Hi people. Brera 2.4 jtdm runs great but when at a standstill the revs start to hunt slightly. Been told it could be a few things and possibly the dreaded swirl flaps..59 plate with 49k.cambelt and pump changed 2 years... also every now again it cuts out after start up but starts again no problem. any advice greatly appreciated..cheers..
bezberry is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: -
AO Member
 
nogrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
County: -
Posts: 158
+1 swirl flaps
nogrip is online now  
(Post Link) post #3 of 11 Old 19-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: manchester
County: -england
Posts: 44
Garage

Member car:

Brera and GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezberry View Post
Hi people. Brera 2.4 jtdm runs great but when at a standstill the revs start to hunt slightly. Been told it could be a few things and possibly the dreaded swirl flaps..59 plate with 49k.cambelt and pump changed 2 years... also every now again it cuts out after start up but starts again no problem. any advice greatly appreciated..cheers..
I leak checked the swirl flap bushes and all seemed ok but one had a little oil around it....
bezberry is offline  
 
Status: -
AO Member
 
finalfisti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Switzerland
County: -
Posts: 393
Images: 4

Member car:

159

I have the 2.4 in my 159 and sometimes I have an RPM needle that moves +/- 200 rpm when warm and idling at red lights. However, I have noticed that there seems to be a link to the EGR cleaning cycle, because whenever it happens, I can feel that the EGR starts cleaning itself shortly after. Once the EGR is clean (takes 10-15 minutes), the needle stops moving when idling.

Maybe keep an eye out for the EGR actions whenever this happens. Or is it always at idle?
finalfisti is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 11 Old 19-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: manchester
County: -england
Posts: 44
Garage

Member car:

Brera and GT

Hi, how do you know that the EGR is cleaning itself? I've removed and cleaned it many times on the GT jtdm. Always at idle..otherwise runs fantastic!
bezberry is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
OldSmokey159's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
County: -kent
Posts: 234
Might be worth checking that the throttle body is clean and that the butterfly valve is not obstructed with carbon deposits.
OldSmokey159 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Chipmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Denmark
County: Nordjylland
Posts: 549
Garage

Member car:

159 2,4 JTDm 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalfisti View Post
I have the 2.4 in my 159 and sometimes I have an RPM needle that moves +/- 200 rpm when warm and idling at red lights. However, I have noticed that there seems to be a link to the EGR cleaning cycle, because whenever it happens, I can feel that the EGR starts cleaning itself shortly after. Once the EGR is clean (takes 10-15 minutes), the needle stops moving when idling.

Maybe keep an eye out for the EGR actions whenever this happens. Or is it always at idle?
Replace "EGR" with "DPF" and your info sound more correct EGR does NOT clean itself...DPF cleaningcycles happens pr. every some couple of hundred of miles ;-)
finalfisti likes this.
Chipmik is offline  
(Post Link) post #8 of 11 Old 19-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: manchester
County: -england
Posts: 44
Garage

Member car:

Brera and GT

Thought so! DPF cleaner....
bezberry is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 11 Old 19-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: manchester
County: -england
Posts: 44
Garage

Member car:

Brera and GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSmokey159 View Post
Might be worth checking that the throttle body is clean and that the butterfly valve is not obstructed with carbon deposits.
is it an easy job?
bezberry is offline  
Status: 159 Cruiser and Guilietta pocket rocket
AO Silver Member
 
giblets46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Warwickshire
Posts: 4,314
Garage
Have a look at the following post, links to how to's on most of the above, but yes, give the EGR a good clean if it's not been done,

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...els-guide.html (Power Loss with Diesels: Guide)
giblets46 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
V8VANTAGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: United Kingdom
County: -
Posts: 72
Mine also does this. It's likely to be the EGR valve, but it could also be the swirl flaps. Luckily, it is possible to get both 'deleted' so that the car doesn't require them.

Also I have noticed that it seems to effect the DPF in that it regenerates soon after given the car a bit of an 'Italian tune-up'. I guess because there is enormous back pressure and that is increasing the temperature, thus it feels the need to regenerate???
V8VANTAGE is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
brera , erratic , idling

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome