Faulty MAF maybe leading to DPF problems! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 16-08-16 Thread Starter

County: Derbyshire-
Faulty MAF maybe leading to DPF problems!

Hi there,

My 59 plate 2.0 jtdm came up with the engine management light a couple of weeks ago and car went into limp mode. Managed to nurse it to garage who diagnosed faulty MAF sensor and oil pressure switch, both of which were changed.

Car has driven fine since and Thursday of last week carried out a DPF regen on my journey into work (MPG and turbo boost both dropped off, exhaust note changed). The following Saturday I drove 180 miles down from Derby to Cambridgeshire and back so engine got nice and hot, no problems.

First thing Sunday morning started car and was greeted by engine management light and limp mode again. Another trip to the garage on Monday who diagnosed a blocked DPF, carried out a forced regen and everything is all good!

My journey to work is 25miles on dual carriageway each way and also a trip down to Cambridge and Weymouth to see family very regularly and this is the first time in 2 years of owning the car I have had any DPF problems.

Could driving around with a faulty old MAF sensor or the new MAF sensor be a likely culprit as to why I've had problems with the DPF?

Mnay thanks in advance

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: West Midlands
Quick answer is Yes, faults with anything that effects fueling or boost control will deactivate the DPF function in the ECU. may also cause issues like you describe did the regen whilst driving complete or did you turn it off before it finished?
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 17-08-16 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richydraper View Post
Quick answer is Yes, faults with anything that effects fueling or boost control will deactivate the DPF function in the ECU. may also cause issues like you describe did the regen whilst driving complete or did you turn it off before it finished?
Thanks for the reply.

As far as I'm aware the regen finished, the MPG figure had started to increase and turbo didn't drop off as much and it sounded less sporty and more like a diesel again!
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Remember if your car is not burning the correct fuel/air mixture (as it will if the maf, egr, map etc is faulty) it'll produce smoke, this will get trapped in the DPF and cause problems
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 17-08-16 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by giblets46 View Post
Remember if your car is not burning the correct fuel/air mixture (as it will if the maf, egr, map etc is faulty) it'll produce smoke, this will get trapped in the DPF and cause problems
Could the clogged DPF have been a hangover as such from the old faulty MAF sensor?

I've had over 2 weeks with the new MAF, covering plenty of miles and with the DPF apparently regenerating as normal, or maybe the new MAF sensor is causing problems?

Car is still running ok after forced regen earlier this week.

Last edited by PaulTurner75; 17-08-16 at 14:56.
AO Member

County: South East
Hi Paul What MAF did you fit. eg Bosch and is it defiantly for the 2.0 as this one has a different part number to the others in the range although it looks the same.
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 18-08-16 Thread Starter

Hi,

The MAF fitted by the garage is a Bosch one, 0281002917 (55206758).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
dpf , faulty , leading , maf , problems