159 2.4 JTDM feeling "stifled" - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 14-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

159 2.4 JTDM feeling "stifled"

Hello All,

My 2.4 JTDM 159 has started to feel more and more "strangled" recently - lacks power at low revs, then when the turn it kicks in its sudden then it pulls ok but not as well as it used to - It feels like a big turbo lag. Sometimes when i floor it at lower revs it stutters slightly too - but this doesnt happen when accelerating gently.

The car has DPF removed and EGR deleted and the Alfatune remap - the intake has been removed and cleaned and swirl flaps are operating as they should be.

The air filter looks clean although it hasn't been changed for approaching a year now, MAF sensor recently failed but has been replaced. The car just generally feels more stifled than it used to.

Can anyone offer me any advice?

Thanks in advance

Otis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

Brera 2.4

There is an option in the multiscan options to reset the maf when a new one is fitted, might be worth giving that a try.
And a new air filter wont hurt, they're only a tenner.
AO Member

County: -
My car sounds like its doing the same as yours, i've been hoping to get the egr/dpf deleted so the issues wouldnt re-occur. Youve checked quite a few things there, but perhaps check hoses for any cracks, or maybe the turbo vanes are sticking.

I know you have replaced the MAF, but have you tried running the car with it unplugged. I replaced my MAF a few weeks ago and it still goes better with it unplugged!

I hope you dont give up with your car, and you are able to get it fixed

AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Is the EGR just deleted or deleted and blanked? (if not it's a cheap and easy job) The EGR has been known to leak if just deleted. Check the power loss guide in the stickies, could be athe boost solenoid, or a simple leak elsewhere
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 15-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giblets46 View Post
Is the EGR just deleted or deleted and blanked? (if not it's a cheap and easy job) The EGR has been known to leak if just deleted. Check the power loss guide in the stickies, could be athe boost solenoid, or a simple leak elsewhere
The EGR is deleted and blanked off with a blanking plate - i will need to investigate for a leak in the hoses. How can i check the boost solenoid?
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 15-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JON156VELOCE View Post
There is an option in the multiscan options to reset the maf when a new one is fitted, might be worth giving that a try.
And a new air filter wont hurt, they're only a tenner.

When I try to reset the MAF sensor after replacement in the MultiECUScan software i get an error saying "Failed to Execute" - does anyone know what could be causing this? I have tried with both the VAG KKL Cable and the Multi ECU Scan ELM cable but I get the same error message.

Thanks in advance

Otis
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 17-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

A little bit of progress, I noticed today that if I unplug my MAF sensor, the car runs far far better. I get the EML eventually as expected but the car drives with the MAF disconnected.

I was getting a MAF sensor EML a few months ago so my MAF was replaced, saying that, I have been unable to reset the MAF part using MULTIECUSCAN - I'm not sure how vital that is.

Would thus point to a dodgy MAF again, or could it be something else like the filter?
AO Member

County: -
I was told by quite a few people that the MAF values wouldnt need resetting and it would learn the correct values by itself. I replaced my MAF and all it did was make the on-boost power more noticeable. So now, i've got no power below 2000, and then at 2200 it runs wild and the scenery blurs all around you! A nightmare pulling out of junctions. If you dont put your foot down enough, a cyclist could pull away quicker, too much throttle and the front wheels spin and you look like a show-off!
AO Member

County: Nordjylland
Garage

Member car:

159 2,4 JTDm 210

Sounds just like min...Whats your guys flowrate on the MAF at idle when engine >80C? (where MAF is used)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , feeling , jtdm , stifled

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page