My mechanic couldn't fit Powerflex bushes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MrBrown
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 05-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Italy
County: -
Posts: 29
Hmmm My mechanic couldn't fit Powerflex bushes

Hi everyone

After I spent almost 600quid for the complete Powerflex set, I've been told by the workshop that they were unable to fit them

They had two problems:

1) Changing che lower front arm rear bush (PFF1-502) requires a huge press and theirs wasn't big enough.

2) The adjustable upper arm bushes (PFF1-505G and PFF1-506G) are 4mm bigger than the socket in the arm and would not fit, or at least they have no idea how to do it. They figure that maybe there's a special tool for doing it.

At this point they didn't bother to change all the other bushes because if you don't fit the most important ones there's no point in doing a half-arsed job

Now I don't know what to do, shall I ask around or shall I just sell the whole kit altogether?

Unfortunately I live on an island with very few people therefore I'm afraid no one will be able to help me.

I should find a workshop willing to dismantle the arms and keep my car until I send them to someone to fit the bushes and get them back.

Anyone interested in the kit by the way?
MrBrown is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 42,516
Better to put your car back together and take it to a workshop capable of doing the work, even if it means a long drive.
Pud237 is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 05-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Italy
County: -
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Better to put your car back together and take it to a workshop capable of doing the work, even if it means a long drive.
I wouldn't mind a long drive, problem is the car doesn't float as far as I'm aware of

Taking days off work just to get to the mainland and get the job done is out of the question, not to mention the cost (ferry, hotel, fuel, highway tolls...)

The car has already been put together by the way. I fitted new eibach spings, bilstein shocks, new front upper arms and all of the ancillaries that were corroded by salt.

So I was thinking that maybe I could settle for this upgrade and forget about the bushes... I've thrown waaay to much money in that car
MrBrown is offline  
 
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 42,516
Where do you live out of interest?
Pud237 is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 15 Old 05-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Italy
County: -
Posts: 29
Sardinia
MrBrown is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 42,516
Is there another workshop you can try? Surely someone out there has a decent press, or how would they change wheel bearings etc? My 20 tonne press does the job OK and it was only about a hundred pounds.
Pud237 is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 15 Old 05-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Italy
County: -
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Is there another workshop you can try? Surely someone out there has a decent press, or how would they change wheel bearings etc? My 20 tonne press does the job OK and it was only about a hundred pounds.
There's a place nearby that specializes in sport suspensions, I might give it a try.

The press issue doesn't scare me, I'm sure someone has it.

It's the other problem that worries me more, the bushes are apparently too big for the arm. I want to ask advice on that matter too, I don't understand how is that possible.

Otherwise I read on the italian 159ownersclub that a couple of people got the job done in northern italy. I might send them the arms and the bushes, if I find a workshop that can hold my car on the lift for a couple of weeks or so.
MrBrown is offline  
Status: -
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Bristol
County: Avon
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrown View Post
There's a place nearby that specializes in sport suspensions, I might give it a try.

The press issue doesn't scare me, I'm sure someone has it.

It's the other problem that worries me more, the bushes are apparently too big for the arm. I want to ask advice on that matter too, I don't understand how is that possible.

Otherwise I read on the italian 159ownersclub that a couple of people got the job done in northern italy. I might send them the arms and the bushes, if I find a workshop that can hold my car on the lift for a couple of weeks or so.
In Britain, Autolusso - run by Ned - does the powerflex upgrades.

Autolusso

You could give him a call/email and ask for some advice regarding fitting that you could pass on to your local garage?

Good luck
Larry92 is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 15 Old 05-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Italy
County: -
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry92 View Post
You could give him a call/email and ask for some advice regarding fitting that you could pass on to your local garage?

Good luck
I'll contact Ned, but first I want to take a look myself and ask a second opinion too. Not to be distrustful, I've been told that the person that tried to fit the bushes all day and failed is an expert mechanic but you never know
MrBrown is offline  
Status: -
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Bristol
County: Avon
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrown View Post
I'll contact Ned, but first I want to take a look myself and ask a second opinion too. Not to be distrustful, I've been told that the person that tried to fit the bushes all day and failed is an expert mechanic but you never know
fair enough - the only thing I would say is that Ned worked with powerflex to sort this upgrade for these cars apparantly....you can only be an expert in things you have experience in, so perhaps if its something new he hasn't had the opportunity to experience it yet

always worth an email, doesn't cost anything
Larry92 is offline  
(Post Link) post #11 of 15 Old 05-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Italy
County: -
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry92 View Post
fair enough - the only thing I would say is that Ned worked with powerflex to sort this upgrade for these cars apparantly....you can only be an expert in things you have experience in, so perhaps if its something new he hasn't had the opportunity to experience it yet

always worth an email, doesn't cost anything
I want to take some pictures to better explain the issue.... if any
Larry92 likes this.
MrBrown is offline  
Status: Always working
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader
 
Autolusso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bedfordshire
Posts: 6,496
Images: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrown View Post
I'll contact Ned, but first I want to take a look myself and ask a second opinion too. Not to be distrustful, I've been told that the person that tried to fit the bushes all day and failed is an expert mechanic but you never know
We can fit the bushes for you if you send us the arms

Or we could sell you new TRW arms with bushes fitted

Email me and we will sort something out for you ned@autolusso.co.uk

Ned
Autolusso is offline  
(Post Link) post #13 of 15 Old 08-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Italy
County: -
Posts: 29
Thank you

I'll keep that option in mind in case I don't find a local solution
MrBrown is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
davebem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Leicestershire, UK
County: Leicestershire
Posts: 113
Youll need a hefty press to press out the old bushes. Some cheaper/aftermarket upper wishbones may have a different sized or smaller internal diameter bush, the powerflex bushes are designed for the standard TRW wishbones. However if I was paying the extra premium for new TRW wishbones then you might as well enjoy the 40-60k miles your gonna get out of the standard (non-squeak) bushes anyway?
davebem is offline  
(Post Link) post #15 of 15 Old 09-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Italy
County: -
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebem View Post
the powerflex bushes are designed for the standard TRW wishbones
My new wishbones are not TRW, they're MOOG

This might be a serious issue, if that is the case Powerflex should point out very clearly that they only guarantee fitting for TRW wishbones.

There is no OEM bush replacement so manufacturers are not bound to make identical arms and therefore Powerflex bushes might not fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg emaps[1].jpg (42.6 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by MrBrown; 09-08-16 at 14:26.
MrBrown is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
bushes , fit , mechanic , powerflex

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
Replace with
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome