Spider, just give me a live! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 03-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Midlands
Garage
Spider, just give me a live!

Ive been installing a new headunit after the original sat nav has given up. Ive installed the headunit, all works, but keeps loosing all the settings as soon as the ignition is turned off. Emailed Connects2 the people who make the adapter for the stereo/car/steering wheel controls, they said, ''the one I have has never been tested with the Spider (its for the Brera/159) it sounds like you have no permanent live, just a switched ignition live. you often find this in convertible cars''!

Sure enough, I have tested this and no permanent live, just a switched live. Anyone know where around the stereo area I can pick up a battery live that would be able to cope with the stereo running off it?

Giulietta 170 MA TCT Business Edition/Spider 3.2 V6 Q4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
none have a permanent live - usually run one from near the ciggy lighter past the gear stick
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 03-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogrip View Post
none have a permanent live - usually run one from near the ciggy lighter past the gear stick
You mean none normally have a switched live? As that's what is normally missing on a 159 or Brera. Or is there a Battery 12v live near the cigar socket?

AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
There must be a permanent live, how did the original unit keep its settings? I have fitted an aftermarket head unit to the Brera and had no trouble picking up a perm live, but sorry, I cant remember where it was from.
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 03-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaRed Brera View Post
There must be a permanent live, how did the original unit keep its settings? I have fitted an aftermarket head unit to the Brera and had no trouble picking up a perm live, but sorry, I cant remember where it was from.
I agree, that's what you would think, but checking all the wires in the main stereo connector, there are no permanent lives. The original headunit worked with no problems and you could turn it on with the ignition off, which makes me think this was somehow controlled by the canbus part. The only connections that are no longer used is a strange connector which from what I can gather are microphone connections for the phone use, the wires are tiny.
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Thinking about it??? I may have run a wire from the fuse panel near the drivers door for my perm live, I know I did something there. That wouldnt be hard to do.
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 03-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaRed Brera View Post
Thinking about it??? I may have run a wire from the fuse panel near the drivers door for my perm live, I know I did something there. That wouldnt be hard to do.
Didn't know it was there, thought it was all in the engine bay. Bonus!
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
You mean none normally have a switched live? As that's what is normally missing on a 159 or Brera. Or is there a Battery 12v live near the cigar socket?
Ooops! - you're quire right - supply to H/U is permanent with switched live from ciggy socket or fuse panel area.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
give , live , spider

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page