Having problems shifting my loved Brera 2.2Jts - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 28 Old 01-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hirwaun

Member car:

Brera SV 2.2jts

Crazed Having problems shifting my loved Brera 2.2Jts

Afternoon all from sunny South Wales,

Just to point out, this is not a sales page, I'm just trying to see if anyone else here has had the same problem in selling one of their Alfas in the past

I've been a member on here for quite some time, two beautiful Alfas that I've had tons of enjoyment (and the odd hair pulling moment).

The time has come to get a company car (due to milage, maintenance and fuel costs ) As no current alfas in production currently fit the bill I'm opting to the dark side, German manufacturers.

So my journey of selling another alfa began about 10 weeks ago, my last one (a pretty great 159 2.4) sold in less than 48 hours so it's a bit frustrating to see the Brera sat outside the house for so long. I've had tyre kickers, test drivers and general idiots seem interested, but never actually wanting the car in the end.

As I'm taking delivery of a company car very soon I would rather that it sell sooner rather than later. The car is in good nick, limited service history, a small crack in the panoramic window but all in all is a good car. I've had a ton of work done to it (timing chain, new battery, new spark plugs, coil set as well as other smaller jobs just to mention a few) but no one wants to give it a home.

I'm at whits end with it now and I'm actually considering going through one of those awful car buying services unless it sells soon. I've been offered 2,850 for it through one particular company, and I'm just willing to cut my losses now.

The car has been on Gumtree and Autotrader for weeks now to no avail and I'm fed up of spending money on ads.

Has anyone had a similar problem in the past? If so, how did you sort it out?

Thanks

Kieran
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0491.jpg (157.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0490.jpg (153.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0488.jpg (147.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0489.jpg (139.8 KB, 38 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
I've found it on AT: Alfa Romeo Brera 2.2 JTS SV 3dr
Probably the mileage with limited history will put a lot off.
Though you have priced it very cheaply so I don't know what else you could do.
Nice looking car - silver with those wheels looks great.
Good luck with selling - it looks like someone will get a bargain sooner or later.
Very curious to what WeBuyAnyCar have quoted - there can't be a lot of difference in price considering you've advertised it at not much money.
AO Member

County: -
You're up against the bay of e nowadays where people can see a 50k car sold for 600 less than you're asking.

(Post Link) post #4 of 28 Old 01-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Brera SV 2.2jts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
I've found it on AT: Alfa Romeo Brera 2.2 JTS SV 3dr
Probably the mileage with limited history will put a lot off.
Though you have priced it very cheaply so I don't know what else you could do.
Nice looking car - silver with those wheels looks great.
Good luck with selling - it looks like someone will get a bargain sooner or later.
Very curious to what WeBuyAnyCar have quoted - there can't be a lot of difference in price considering you've advertised it at not much money.
Hi Mate,

Yeah it's a lovely car to be fair, maybe the badge puts most off in this area. A similar car buying site offered me 2850 hence why I'm just tempted to go through them to be honest.
AO Silver Member

County: North Sealand-
You are not stating the mileage. Many (most) people are put off by interstellar mileages fearing all sort of expensive repairs.
You white "The car is in good nick, limited service history, a small crack in the panoramic window but all in all is a good car". Well, this is also putting buyers off. They would like to pay a fair price for a car they don't have to have expenditures on for some time.
The trend on many markets is that buyers like to lease a new or newish car which includes maintenance. They then know the budget on keeping the car.
Anyway, good luck selling your Brera soon.
(Post Link) post #6 of 28 Old 01-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Brera SV 2.2jts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Loye View Post
You are not stating the mileage. Many (most) people are put off by interstellar mileages fearing all sort of expensive repairs.
You white "The car is in good nick, limited service history, a small crack in the panoramic window but all in all is a good car". Well, this is also putting buyers off. They would like to pay a fair price for a car they don't have to have expenditures on for some time.
The trend on many markets is that buyers like to lease a new or newish car which includes maintenance. They then know the budget on keeping the car.
Anyway, good luck selling your Brera soon.
Ah I think you misunderstood, this isn't the advert, that can be seen here the car is well worth 3,300 it's just has the most common (and expensive) fix done, maybe it's just one of those things, eh.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent

Member car:

Giulietta,Kuga

Mileage is stated. As is 5+ owners.....
(Post Link) post #8 of 28 Old 01-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Brera SV 2.2jts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Mileage is stated. As is 5+ owners.....
Yep, that's right. Me being the 5th owner, it is a ten year old car, so it's not really the end of the world. It's priced accordingly...
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent

Member car:

Giulietta,Kuga

Yes somebody will be getting a nice car for the money I'm sure!
Do you have to put 5 owners , even if it's not such a bad number for the age?
(Post Link) post #10 of 28 Old 01-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Brera SV 2.2jts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Yes somebody will be getting a nice car for the money I'm sure!
Do you have to put 5 owners , even if it's not such a bad number for the age?
Sadly it's a requested detail from AutoTrader and putting anything else would be falsifying information, it's a tricky one!
cue2 likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Looks a nice car.

I have always struggled to sell Alfas as well, unless the price was less than I was really hoping for.

Stick with it, the right buyer will come along.
OrangeMarley likes this.
AO Silver Member

I didn't know that about number of owners and Auto Trader.
I noticed 5'+' owners on a Subaru BRZ I was looking at and it put me right off - it was only 3 years old!
For a 10 year old sporty car yours isn't that bad, but the '+' makes it sound like you've lost count! Maybe state in the ad that you're the fifth owner.

It took me a good while to shift my last Alfa, and that was mint.
Only one person came to look at it, but they bought it.
It only takes one serious person...

Past: GTV T.Spark Lusso (owned 8 years) Present: 948 Spider LE (bought Nov. '10) Future: 8C (in my dreams )
Previously (selective): Porsche 944 Turbo; Porsche 944S; Jaguar XJ6; Audi Coupe; Mark 2 Golf GTI.
AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Brera

Same wheels and colour as mine!

The service intervals are too long anyway so only having a part history is of little consequence. Perhaps not mention it apart from the recent service? The mot is a bit short, so you could get an early one. I always think it is a good idea to state the advisories, especially if you have attended to them; most serious buyers will check anyway.

I'd quite like to know about the front subframe. The only thing that would really put me off would be the crack in the pano roof. If it is limited to one corner and can't go any further, isn't letting any water into the laminate etc it is worth saying this and including a picture.

Hate to say it but 3,300 is not really a private sale bargain (although it is decent value).

I've never had any luck using autotrader. Ebay has always worked for me with slightly unusual cars, but you have to be prepared to get bent over on the fees!

Hope this helps, best of luck with the sale.
(Post Link) post #14 of 28 Old 02-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Brera SV 2.2jts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewe View Post
Same wheels and colour as mine!

The service intervals are too long anyway so only having a part history is of little consequence. Perhaps not mention it apart from the recent service? The mot is a bit short, so you could get an early one. I always think it is a good idea to state the advisories, especially if you have attended to them; most serious buyers will check anyway.

I'd quite like to know about the front subframe. The only thing that would really put me off would be the crack in the pano roof. If it is limited to one corner and can't go any further, isn't letting any water into the laminate etc it is worth saying this and including a picture.

Hate to say it but 3,300 is not really a private sale bargain (although it is decent value).

I've never had any luck using autotrader. Ebay has always worked for me with slightly unusual cars, but you have to be prepared to get bent over on the fees!

Hope this helps, best of luck with the sale.
Hi Rewe,

Yeah I agree on the service intervals, I like to service twice a year, or every 7k.

Well it was a bit of a wild card to begin with to be honest, a purchase with the heart and not the mind! The glass doesn't effect anything, they have two layers (the outside layer is cracked) so it doesn't effect anything other than appearance.

at this stage I'm prepared to let it go for around 2.5, which is a pretty decent price when you consider it's had the timing chain done about 3 months ago (and still has a parts and labour guarantee at ***** Yapps in Cardiff).

Yeah, I see the problem with the MOT, I might consider putting a new one on there, it's just another job I don't particularly have time for to be honest.
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
There are two things that would put me off your car, the colour but that's purely personal and the crack in the roof. That may just be cosmetic at the moment but if it develops it will cost more to repair than the car is worth.

Oh! and a third thing, I already have a 2006 2.2jts Brera.

Your post brings home just how little a beautiful and exclusive vehicle is worth in the eyes of the general public and I find it pretty disappointing.

I am fortunate in that I am in a position to be able to keep my Brera as a hobby vehicle, resigned to the fact that if something really serious goes wrong with it, it will be consigned to the knacker's yard.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

Nothing :-(

I'm finding Breras are overpriced simply because I can't afford one at a price my wife will let me buy. I wish I'd seen your 159 for sale though. Still on the lookout (though my wife would prefer the SW.
AO Member

County: Bielsko-Biala
Garage
A few comments from me regarding linked add on AT below:
1.MOT soon expires - that is risk factor for buyer - can't you do new one now to expand it?
2.Photos done beside some shed on right side of car - does not look any good to me. Also photos done in some cloudy wether - for silver car and with such colours around does not look at all attractive (I used to have silver 159 and know that this car looks brilliant, and could look like this also on pictures).Maybe also white balance in your camera was set not right or camera is not that great? Ask yourself if the car looks doesn't look dull on pictures? ANd then who will buy Brera - for sure nobody who wants to drive dull car - maybe here is problem attracting some of potential buyers?
3.Photos 1& 4 - rear bit down - any problem with rear springs or do you have lowered suspension version? Without the knowledge it raises concerns to me regardng rear springs (e.g. I have to replace them in my former 159 at similar mileage)
4.Access road to property - may suggest that suspesion had hard time on everyday drive through access road presented on photos (bumpy/long?) - warning for buyer about addtional costs on wishones/shocks/wheel bearings etc. Take better location maybe?
5.No info on things like tires - on photo they seem OK (at least they are premium Pirelli tires), maybe worth to mention their condition or mileage if it is any good/very good condition
6.No mention how long you own the car in the addvert - if that was a few years (was it?) worth to mention as that in some way would cancel 5+ owners (at least to me) - in other hand if you bought it say 0.5 year ago, then it may raise buyers' suspicions that someting is wrong with the car and you want to quickly sell it
7.Picture 2 with wide angle looks not attractive - if you want to do picture from front, I'd suggest go to more neutral or even zoom setting and do it from farer distance to avoid all sorts of perspective distortions like on your photo
8.The blue Tshirt guy or blue plastic barrel attracts attention more than car - they should not be on these pictures - if you have any obstacles in background, change the shoting postion, ask guy to walk away, move barrel or rubbish away or set diaphragm of your camera to as open as possible so depth of field is narrow and only car gets sharp on pictures, but background stays blured/soft/not dominant.

I'm not commenting price for UK market - in Poland if it was RHD car of course , it would be more expensive for sure.

Good luck with saling the car.

PS. See attached photos of my former alfa I did once before passing it to my brother - it was very cloudy wether, also there is access road full of bumps and stones which looks worse than yours(but hidden beside fence) and there is big old 150years falling apart shed 50m aroud (4 o clock vs car front), but I tried to do photos so I'm hiding unattractive things and focusing only attractive shots. I think that green grass and wooden fence are providing nice background so car presents quite attractive (at least silver pait has bacground to contrast). Even things like turning wheels a bit gives it bit of dynamics IMHO. I'm sure that if the weather was better, and I put the cap for front bumper towing hole, use early mornign or late afternoon sunlight, the car would look way better. If I additionally took the car to some interesting scenery and let somebody else who can do good photos do the job (not saying hiring pro, just friend who do photos as hobby and has decent SLR), then I guess wow effect could be achieved - maybe that is the way to try for you? I'm sure your car can look exciting on photos, and then may attract more buyers. Doesn't cost a lot, just time, maybe pint for friend, and probably worth to try. You are offering Brera, special car, must look special in addvert pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0091.jpg (127.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0092.jpg (129.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0093.jpg (120.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0094.jpg (121.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0104.jpg (108.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0112.jpg (114.5 KB, 13 views)
(Post Link) post #18 of 28 Old 03-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Brera SV 2.2jts

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsonix View Post
A few comments from me regarding linked add on AT below:
1.MOT soon expires - that is risk factor for buyer - can't you do new one now to expand it?
2.Photos done beside some shed on right side of car - does not look any good to me. Also photos done in some cloudy wether - for silver car and with such colours around does not look at all attractive (I used to have silver 159 and know that this car looks brilliant, and could look like this also on pictures).Maybe also white balance in your camera was set not right or camera is not that great? Ask yourself if the car looks doesn't look dull on pictures? ANd then who will buy Brera - for sure nobody who wants to drive dull car - maybe here is problem attracting some of potential buyers?
3.Photos 1& 4 - rear bit down - any problem with rear springs or do you have lowered suspension version? Without the knowledge it raises concerns to me regardng rear springs (e.g. I have to replace them in my former 159 at similar mileage)
4.Access road to property - may suggest that suspesion had hard time on everyday drive through access road presented on photos (bumpy/long?) - warning for buyer about addtional costs on wishones/shocks/wheel bearings etc. Take better location maybe?
5.No info on things like tires - on photo they seem OK (at least they are premium Pirelli tires), maybe worth to mention their condition or mileage if it is any good/very good condition
6.No mention how long you own the car in the addvert - if that was a few years (was it?) worth to mention as that in some way would cancel 5+ owners (at least to me) - in other hand if you bought it say 0.5 year ago, then it may raise buyers' suspicions that someting is wrong with the car and you want to quickly sell it
7.Picture 2 with wide angle looks not attractive - if you want to do picture from front, I'd suggest go to more neutral or even zoom setting and do it from farer distance to avoid all sorts of perspective distortions like on your photo
8.The blue Tshirt guy or blue plastic barrel attracts attention more than car - they should not be on these pictures - if you have any obstacles in background, change the shoting postion, ask guy to walk away, move barrel or rubbish away or set diaphragm of your camera to as open as possible so depth of field is narrow and only car gets sharp on pictures, but background stays blured/soft/not dominant.

I'm not commenting price for UK market - in Poland if it was RHD car of course , it would be more expensive for sure.

Good luck with saling the car.

PS. See attached photos of my former alfa I did once before passing it to my brother - it was very cloudy wether, also there is access road full of bumps and stones which looks worse than yours(but hidden beside fence) and there is big old 150years falling apart shed 50m aroud (4 o clock vs car front), but I tried to do photos so I'm hiding unattractive things and focusing only attractive shots. I think that green grass and wooden fence are providing nice background so car presents quite attractive (at least silver pait has bacground to contrast). Even things like turning wheels a bit gives it bit of dynamics IMHO. I'm sure that if the weather was better, and I put the cap for front bumper towing hole, use early mornign or late afternoon sunlight, the car would look way better. If I additionally took the car to some interesting scenery and let somebody else who can do good photos do the job (not saying hiring pro, just friend who do photos as hobby and has decent SLR), then I guess wow effect could be achieved - maybe that is the way to try for you? I'm sure your car can look exciting on photos, and then may attract more buyers. Doesn't cost a lot, just time, maybe pint for friend, and probably worth to try. You are offering Brera, special car, must look special in addvert pictures.
Hi epsonix,

What an answer! yes mate I agree entirely! the pictures don't do the car justice, it's all about dream selling with these kind of cars, right! The 159 I took to a mountain road nearby and got some really nice shots, sadly due to work commitments I have very little time to do that. The advert stats are doing very well, 600+ views some weeks, although not a single honest enquiry.

I may take some better pictures and update the info like you suggested! Thanks for the advice
AO Silver Member

Epsonix - what on earth is that ugly big black circle/hole on the front left of the 159?
Is there a parking sensor missing? Or is it a towing eye point that's missing its cap?
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Epsonix - what on earth is that ugly big black circle/hole on the front left of the 159?
Is there a parking sensor missing? Or is it a towing eye point that's missing its cap?
yaeh, it is missing cap for towing eye. In the time it was left for repainting. I know it looks bad - thats why I mentioned it in last post that if it was there photos car would present way better (surely lack of cap would be mistake for advert photos).

The point though was different - make the silver car looking bit more attractive (nonetheless of cloudy weather which could make the car looking dull), so hide bad things on background, use contrasting & colourful background, do not do front photo of car with wide angle/zoom out (Brera/159 woudl not look good ).

Last edited by epsonix; 03-08-16 at 21:04.
AO Silver Member

Ah, sorry, you did mention it. A bit too much text for me to wade through there!

Regarding ads, I'm personally not bothered about quality of pics as long as I can get a feel for the overall spec, i.e. type of alloys, interior etc.
All I need to know is right colour, right spec.

What I am bothered about is the wording, and many dealers on Auto Trader fail to mention things like service history.
That's a cardinal sin in my book. If that's left off, zero interest from me.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Ah, sorry, you did mention it. A bit too much text for me to wade through there!

Regarding ads, I'm personally not bothered about quality of pics as long as I can get a feel for the overall spec, i.e. type of alloys, interior etc.
All I need to know is right colour, right spec.

What I am bothered about is the wording, and many dealers on Auto Trader fail to mention things like service history.
That's a cardinal sin in my book. If that's left off, zero interest from me.
if one is looking for say brera, knows eg silver is fine, may ignore pictures, but one who does not know specific car/colour he wants, may just skip car which does not look attractive on photos. of course additional info like more detailed service history would be always important.
AO Member

County: West Midlands
Garage
The pictures can sell a car, when I was looking for the Spider, the pictures in the add did not do the car justice at all, I showed various people and they all said the car looks drab and the red leather horrid. I also looked at other Spiders with the red leather and realised the pictures taken by the dealer were very, very poor, to the point it put off anyone that saw the add. In the Spiders case, it was the lighting, very poor. Try different pics as said, with better background, in a park with plenty of green and a sunny day. Ive shown people at work and the family and they say those pics you first showed us looked really bad and the pics Ive taken look really nice. Try it, you maybe surprised with hopefully more interest.

Giulietta 170 MA TCT Business Edition/Spider 3.2 V6 Q4
dc
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

Has it sold. The advert has. I didn't get any luck with Autotrader selling my last Brera (sold it through alfaowner for nothing in the end) but I did buy my current on via them.

It really is a decent price for a lot of car. Surely somebody would buy it just for a year or two of fun if nothing else..

Failing that, if it has to go quickly flog it to webuyanycar. I've used the Watford branch a few years back and they were very fair with me..
AO Silver Member

County: North Sealand-
I grew up in an Auto dealer family. As a teenager I had a job preparing traded-ins for sale. The first time my dad looked at the "finished result" and pointed out some (lots) points that I didn't have done. I was down and sulking. I said "its a used car"!
My dad replied "For the buyer this is his/hers new car".
That way I learned the lessons which helped me when I became the firm's sales person and later sales manager.
Good luck getting your car prepared for its new owner, who will regard his new car as "new".
If you don't have time, sell it to a car dealer. You will get a lower price but you don't spend a lot of time and money on getting it up to saleable condition.
dc likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
brera , sale

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page