brera 2.4 dpf drilling advice - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Top Down

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 01-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin
brera 2.4 dpf drilling advice

if anyone has some advice about drilling the dpf only please.after much work and time i had the inlet removed splitted and cleaned,flaps removed and blanked,new timing belt kit from dealer,full service,fuel filter included, new clutch with dual mass,and egr,flaps, dpf ecu removed .Now i want to drill the dpf only and looking at it and reading here its confusing which end its?is it the rear end and drill about 40 cm till the narrow part or the short front end about 15 cm till the gap and sensor?dont want to go in the cat by mistake,just make a big hole in the middle of dpf to take advantage of it disabled in the ecu.if its the rear i need a drill bit about 80 cm long to go in the pipe and then all the way till the gap before the front end cat is it?no words it drives like a dream with all the work but that pig of dpf worries me.attached a pic with the dpf cat unit.thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_1.JPG (38.0 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
Dpf is the longer section so big drill needed - not sure it's worth trying to keep the cat part anyway
Club Member

County: Herefordshire
I would leave it in tact if I were you.....it's illegal, invalidates your insurance therefore (additionally, it's undeclared modification which can't be declared because it is illegal....), and is an MOT fail (not that they will notice). also you could be reported for excessive pollution if you are seen by an ultra-greeny. I bought my car used and its been de-DPFed which is annoying, but about 700 to replace :/

Once you have cored it though if you go ahead, just be careful with the map you put on it as you will otherwise end up billowing unburnt fuel and particulates out the exhaust....

'08 159 Lusso 2.4JTDm Q-Tronic Sportwagon
'98 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
AO Member

But you will average 45mpg quite easily without the DPF constipation

and if it's a <2008 Euro 4 vehicle emissions should be a doddle - also a good map will make very little smoke but huge gains in driveability and performance
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogrip View Post
But you will average 45mpg quite easily without the DPF constipation

and if it's a <2008 Euro 4 vehicle emissions should be a doddle - also a good map will make very little smoke but huge gains in driveability and performance
So dont worry about the carcinogenic pollution.
Tata4Now and jaseruk like this.
AO Member

Quote:
So dont worry about the carcinogenic pollution.
That's a whole new dabate of the coal fired Tesla v a 2.4 diseasel Alfa
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 03-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogrip View Post
That's a whole new dabate of the coal fired Tesla v a 2.4 diseasel Alfa
thanks will drill the back of it now i know.it was remapped as well forgot to mention 35 bhp extra so now its 235 in total and picks up from 1700 rpm opposite 2200 before.the company said drill it quick or you blow the turbo too much pressure.in irl no issue with dpf nct check yet as for cancer, little birds dead, etc i am aware but a prius 0 tax uses mine coal to go 50 miles,i pay 1080 euro road tax so give me a break.and mi money dont go for pothole but cyclist traks not used anyway.
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 05-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

sorted

sorted i took the back side of dpf out to find i dont have one ??? the drill was on one hand and the light on the other and was an empty space till the cat nothing hollow and a surgical cut on the top ha ha someone was there before me so spare me some work.i did put a full blanking plate on the egr aldo was disabled bcause i water leak tested when out and was leaking ,happy days now i need front and rear badge plus the brera script on the boot.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
advice , brera , dpf , drilling