Looking into buying a Brera... Advice? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 30-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: London
Help Looking into buying a Brera... Advice?

Hi everyone
What advice can you give me (e.g. things to look out for) if I look to buy a 2.2 Brera?
From a servicing point of view, do I need to establish whether the timing chain and water pump have been replaced? If so, at what service intervals should they have been done?
Any other glaring issues to ask about or check? I'm hoping to get a 5-7 year old model, and set on the 2.2 due to the lower running costs.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Chain and water pump aren't service items, don't worry about them.
Both may never need changing. The EML and appropriate code will signify a chain replacement and will cost around £500, perhaps cheaper if you shop around.
I'm not aware of an issue with the water pump.
Most 2.2s suffer from hesitation at low revs in 1st/2nd gears but you get used to it - they left the factory like that!
Some have suffered with with the gearbox bearings failing - listen out for a 'whine' in 6th gear (maybe other gears as well), and a kick-back of the gear stick in 1st gear when releasing the clutch.

Past: GTV T.Spark Lusso (owned 8 years) Present: 948 Spider LE (bought Nov. '10) Future: 8C (in my dreams )
Previously (selective): Porsche 944 Turbo; Porsche 944S; Jaguar XJ6; Audi Coupe; Mark 2 Golf GTI.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
If you can (removing the undertray is a 30 min job at best) check the front subframe for rot.
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackus View Post
Hi everyone
What advice can you give me (e.g. things to look out for) if I look to buy a 2.2 Brera?
From a servicing point of view, do I need to establish whether the timing chain and water pump have been replaced? If so, at what service intervals should they have been done?
Any other glaring issues to ask about or check? I'm hoping to get a 5-7 year old model, and set on the 2.2 due to the lower running costs.
Thanks!

There is a buyer's guide in the stickies at the top of the page, a good starting point
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 01-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: London
Thanks, the buyer's guide is very good.

I do have concerns about the timing chain based on the threads I've seen on here. Would it be reasonable to ask the dealer to include a new timing chain (and, for that matter, a year's road tax seeing as my potential purchase is currently untaxed) into the sale?
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Why not go the whole hog and ask them to pay your insurance and give you a full tank of petrol...
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Dont worry about the timing chain, its no big deal. One of our 2.2's has had a chain change the other, so far, has not. I do look at the timing chain as a service item. The diesel engines need a belt change at regular mileage (thats when the water pump needs changing). If a timing belt snaps or jumps teeth on a seized water pump you have a wrecked engine. i have never read of anyone having a chain break, you get plenty of warning that it needs to be changed. One other thing, neither of our 2.2's have any sign of gearbox whine or hesitation. My Brera is now getting close to 80K and we just been to the South of France and back, again, in it.

Some 2.2's have had issues, that does not mean every 2.2 will have issues.

Someone said to me, "so whats so special about an Alfa Romeo then?" I told him, "If you have to ask, you wont understand".

Driving Brera S 2.2, wife drives 939 Spider 2.2, plus now a 147 1.6 TS whilst the Spider hibernates and there is a 1972 Spider 2000 S2 in the garage for fun days.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
advice , brera , buying