159 sucking air inlet noise? photo! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Eamonn159
  • 1 Post By Eamonn159

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 24-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Ireland
159 sucking air inlet noise? photo!

Hi, i have a 2007 159 1.9jts. My first question here and i'm no engineer, so sorry if it's a dumb one...

So, i have a loud, constant sucking air noise when i pop the bonnet. Took me a while to find the source. I found out where to stick my finger to stop it (see photo). Blocking it changes the idle but not by much.

Looking at it, i'm starting to think this is a normal inlet, but i'm surprised it's that loud.

Is this normal?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160724_152159_HDR.jpg (112.8 KB, 46 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 11 Old 29-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Bump! Anyone know anything about this noise? I showed it to my usual guy, but he had no idea. He's a skania mechanic really, so not the best guy for small petrol engines!
AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk
If you take the cap that your finger is touching off I expect that you will find that the diaphragm underneath is split. You can replace it.
(Post Link) post #4 of 11 Old 31-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewe View Post
If you take the cap that your finger is touching off I expect that you will find that the diaphragm underneath is split. You can replace it.
Thanks Rewe, i'll see if i can get that off when it stops raining. Looks like a bit of jimmying with a flathead will do it.
(Post Link) post #5 of 11 Old 03-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewe View Post
Damn that's on tight. Doesn't look like a screwdriver's going to help me here. A split diaphragm would mean more air coming in i guess? Is that much of a problem?
(Post Link) post #6 of 11 Old 11-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

@Rewe you are a genius! I got the cap off (i was ding it all wrong before) and yes there's a rubber diaphramy thing in there with a big old split where it folds.

So i need a new one. Anyone know what i need to order, or where i can find a part code?

I should have taken a photo. I can if needed.

Thanks!
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonn159 View Post
@Rewe you are a genius! I got the cap off (i was ding it all wrong before) and yes there's a rubber diaphramy thing in there with a big old split where it folds.

So i need a new one. Anyone know what i need to order, or where i can find a part code?

I should have taken a photo. I can if needed.

Thanks!
Hi
You might need to order one and wait a while.
It's Part no. 77363754 and comes complete with new black cap. Alfa workshop sell them with a 1-5 week's wait @42.
Shop4Parts sells them (SP8314) for 35.06 but have none in stock. If it's urgent ring a dealer like Mangoletsi to post one.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Baloney View Post
Hi
You might need to order one and wait a while.
It's Part no. 77363754 and comes complete with new black cap. Alfa workshop sell them with a 1-5 week's wait @42.
Shop4Parts sells them (SP8314) for 35.06 but have none in stock. If it's urgent ring a dealer like Mangoletsi to post one.
That should be S4P8134 but still none in stock!
(Post Link) post #9 of 11 Old 23-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks Sir Baloney. I got a price from a dealer at 70, about the same as alfaworkshop when you include delivery etc. Trying to get a better price but that may be my best choice ATM.
(Post Link) post #10 of 11 Old 30-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

So i ordered one from shop4parts.co.uk, about 60 inc delivery, a little bit better than the dealer. Hopefully Shop4Parts are good and it will arrive quickly! Will post my experience here as i've not used them before.
Lord_of_beard likes this.
(Post Link) post #11 of 11 Old 02-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ok that was quick! My shop4parts.co.uk order turned up this morning (in Ireland), That's 3 days, so i'd have to recommend them! Not a huge saving over the dealer when delivery is included, but good enough.

I've fitted the valve, and all seems ok, whistling is gone and my idle has improved. Not sure if it drives any better, need to do more driving...

Thanks to all for the help!
Rewe likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , air , inlet , noise , photo , sucking