Upper wishbone taper - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 23-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Netherlands
Upper wishbone taper

Hi Guy,

Im in the middle of chaning the upper wish, but the taper length is a little of. According to eper with my VIN nr this is the correct replacement ( by moog). Taper width is the same.

Is it the correct one? Woudn't steering alignment be affected if the taper is 5mm longer?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 8 Old 23-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Forgot to attach the pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160723_144514.jpg (74.2 KB, 12 views)
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
There are two different types of upper wishbone for the 159, I wouldn't fit a Moog one when originals are such good value. I've used Moog stuff before on some of my family members' VWs and Skodas and the parts haven't lasted half the time of the originals.

AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by smhaze View Post
Hi Guy,

Im in the middle of chaning the upper wish, but the taper length is a little of. According to eper with my VIN nr this is the correct replacement ( by moog). Taper width is the same.

Is it the correct one? Woudn't steering alignment be affected if the taper is 5mm longer?

Thanks in advance
Only looks to be the threaded portion from the piccie - which doesn't matter.
AO Silver Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

Brera 2.4

As said it only looks like its the treaded part, the two types of taper are very different in size.
Before you fit it it is worth lifting the rubber boot off, they are usually held on with a spring clip and checking it has grease in it and adding a bit extra, I changed one of the uppers on my car and used a meyle one, it failed in just under a year, when I replaced it again the ball joint had lots of play so Ipulled the boot back to see why and there was little or no greas in there.
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 23-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the replies, I was a perfect fit, the noise is gone so i'm a happy camper again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JON156VELOCE View Post
As said it only looks like its the treaded part, the two types of taper are very different in size.
Before you fit it it is worth lifting the rubber boot off, they are usually held on with a spring clip and checking it has grease in it and adding a bit extra, I changed one of the uppers on my car and used a meyle one, it failed in just under a year, when I replaced it again the ball joint had lots of play so Ipulled the boot back to see why and there was little or no greas in there.
I will do that next time i'm working on the car. Very easy to get to the balljoint part, only taking the 18mm nut off. Any recommendations regarding the grease? I've some ceramic grease laying around. Would that work?
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
I'd use a silicon grease which is harmless to rubber
AO Silver Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

Brera 2.4

I used general purpose cv joint grease as it was what I had around at the time but most greases will do, its a ball joint so is not going to get hot or be under constant high loads.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
taper , upper , wishbone

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page