07 159 JTDM 16V, clicking noise when accelerating - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 22-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Longford
07 159 JTDM 16V, clicking noise when accelerating

Hi All,

I have a 07 alfa romeo 159. It's the 16V 1.9 JTDM version. Last year it started leaking from the Steering rack boots and in February I finally managed to get a new steering rack and get it replaced.

That's when the new set of problems started. I don't know if it's coincidence or something happened when changing the rack.

Anyway. I collected the car from the garage and I noticed a clicking noise when accelerating. The noise is like putting a bit of plastic between the spokes of a bike, except a bit more ruff sounding. It happens at all revs but you can hear it best at higher revs over 2500rpm. You can't hear it at all if you are driving steady pace.

Between one thing and another I only got it back to the garage last week. He took a look at it and couldn't find anything that could be making the noise. He though originally that it might be the exhaust, but, after making a few changes, the noise was still there. He thinks now it might be the timing belt and water pump, but according to the service manual they were done less than 25,000Km ago.

What I have tried is putting Wynn's injector cleaner into the diesel and added some Zx1 into the oil. Only have quarter of the tank empty so far, so it might be a bit early to make any conclusions, but so far, it hasn't make any difference to the noise.

Can anyone offer any advice on what it might be? It's making me crazy, the car doesn't feel as nice to drive because of this. It never made any noise at all before the steering rack was changed.

One other issue is that a squeaking noise has developed at low speeds when turning or going over bumps. I don't know where the noise is coming from exactly, it sounds like the squeak from springs. Is that coming from the shock absorbers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cardiff
It could be leaking from around the injectors, with the plastic cover off look for a black oily build up around 1 or more of them
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 25-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

ok, thanks for the reply, will check that out.
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 01-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Finally got around to checking the injectors and there is no black oily build around any of them

IS there anything that could happen while changing a steering rack that could cause the clicking noise? It never happened before the rack was replaced.
AO Member

County: -
sounds more like a CV joint - if the garage got a bit heavy handed changing the rack they may have over bent a joint and damaged it

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , 16v , accelerating , clicking , jtdm , noise