SW 159 - Refurb of roof rails help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By daveydavey
  • 1 Post By daveydavey
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 22-07-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Newton Abbot
County: Devon
SW 159 - Refurb of roof rails help

Hi All

I have a 159 SW with roof rails which are looking very tired and letting the side down so was looking to get them re-coated, so need to get them off. I'm sure I saw a post on here ages ago with photos showing how to take them off (I believe they can be removed from the top by clipping off the end caps) but now can't find it. Does anyone know if they can be removed without having to remove the header lining?

Also can't decide to keep them black or get them painted silver to match the door mirrors and alloys, what do you guys think?

Cheers
Dave
daveydavey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: 16Italiancylinders(V 6,N4,L2,V2,V2)+1Span ish
AO Silver Member
 
swq4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Images: 28
Garage
The front and rear out side cover can be removed easily
The mounts for them and the inner section requires headliner removal
- i know I checked today and balked at the prospect.
Without complete removal of the headliner you cannot access the inner mounting nuts.
swq4 is offline  
Status: -
Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ross-on-Wye
County: Herefordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by swq4 View Post
The front and rear out side cover can be removed easily
The mounts for them and the inner section requires headliner removal
- i know I checked today and balked at the prospect.
Without complete removal of the headliner you cannot access the inner mounting nuts.
But the actual rails and clopcovers all come off.....would you need to remove the fixing points to refurb the rails?I dont think so....


headliner removal is asking for cabin rattles I think
Larry92 is offline  
Status: 16Italiancylinders(V 6,N4,L2,V2,V2)+1Span ish
AO Silver Member
 
swq4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Images: 28
Garage
When I checked mine last week, I had the front and rear covers off.
The centre rails cannot come off unless you remove the front or rear mount points.
Even with rear of headliner dropped ( I wanted to access the radio antenna), could not access bolt points
- it is not a captive nut the bolts screw into.
swq4 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Czech Republic
County: Hlavní město Praha
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveydavey View Post
Hi All

I have a 159 SW with roof rails which are looking very tired and letting the side down so was looking to get them re-coated, so need to get them off. I'm sure I saw a post on here ages ago with photos showing how to take them off (I believe they can be removed from the top by clipping off the end caps) but now can't find it. Does anyone know if they can be removed without having to remove the header lining?

Also can't decide to keep them black or get them painted silver to match the door mirrors and alloys, what do you guys think?

Cheers
Dave
Hey Dave...

I know exactly what you mean and have the same issue. The roof rails are silver on mine and whatever the top coat was has in the majority flaked/dissolved off. I had hail damage on my car a few years ago in Prague and they did need to remove the headliner etc to remove the rails to get to the bodywork and the flaking seemed to occur after that.

I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has somehow managed to refurb the rails with them in place i.e. removing the top coat by sanding and perhaps spray painting or even better powder coating in some way.

i hope there's someone out there as this can't be an isolated issue.
tariqun is offline  
(Post Link) post #6 of 12 Old 01-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Newton Abbot
County: Devon
Hi all thanks for your replies and apologies for my late response.

I found the images in an old post I was looking for, which appear to show that the release of the rails can be achieved from above by undoing the hex bolts revealed by clipping off the end and centre covers, or am I wrong in my assumption, not had a chance to look at it myself yet.

I've attached pics, let me know what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Picture (1).jpg (71.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-02 15.51.58.jpg (99.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-02 15.51.49.jpg (80.9 KB, 7 views)
daveydavey is offline  
Status: 16Italiancylinders(V 6,N4,L2,V2,V2)+1Span ish
AO Silver Member
 
swq4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Images: 28
Garage
I am certain those hex bolts do not use a captive thread or nut inside.
One of mine is slightly loose and I can hear a nut rotating under the roof as I turn it.
Yet to figure how to access said nut without removing headliner (and that is a pain I can do without!)
Dropping part of the rear headliner has not given me access to the rear fastener.
swq4 is offline  
(Post Link) post #8 of 12 Old 17-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Newton Abbot
County: Devon
Hi sorry for late update but been away on hols and then catching up on work after getting back. Anyway I can confirm that it is possible to get the rails off without having to remove the headliner, just picked up my 159 from the body shop and it's gone from flaky, peeling black rails to sexy silver! Big shout out the guys at Autoart for the great paint job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1949.jpg (104.3 KB, 9 views)
alfaoxon likes this.
daveydavey is offline  
Status: -
Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ross-on-Wye
County: Herefordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveydavey View Post
Hi sorry for late update but been away on hols and then catching up on work after getting back. Anyway I can confirm that it is possible to get the rails off without having to remove the headliner, just picked up my 159 from the body shop and it's gone from flaky, peeling black rails to sexy silver! Big shout out the guys at Autoart for the great paint job.
looks great,glad it's worked. where is this body shop you used? I need mine doing really...
Larry92 is offline  
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 17-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Newton Abbot
County: Devon
I'm down in Devon mate so might be a bit our of your way!
Larry92 likes this.
daveydavey is offline  
Status: -
Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ross-on-Wye
County: Herefordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveydavey View Post
I'm down in Devon mate so might be a bit our of your way!
ooer. right yes. even from my second base near gloucester its a weebit far - goodto know its doable though so I'll make enquiries round by me
Larry92 is offline  
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 17-08-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Newton Abbot
County: Devon
Gloucester eh that's my old neck of the woods, grew up and still have family in Stroud. Getting the rails off isn't without risk though, the guys at Autoart said it was touch and go on a couple of the bolts were spinning in the mounts but with a bit of pressure they managed it in the end. Also ended up with a slight gap where where a couple of bits wouldn't clip quite back together again but nothing major and easily filled and touched up when I get the chance. Cost 200 but money well spent rather than trying to bodge it myself!! Good luck finding someone to same.
daveydavey is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , rails , refurb , roof

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome