Alfa Romeo 159 2,4 Lusso springs - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 21-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Vilnius

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 159

Hmmm Alfa Romeo 159 2,4 Lusso springs

Hello fellow Alfa drivers.

Have a problem on mine. I have 220'000 km's on the clock and see that the springs are starting to wear - first noticed in on the wheels alignment, which was hard to do right due to the worn our springs under heavy engine at the front. The inner parts of the tires seems to wear of unevenly.

So, the decision was to spark some life into my old lady with new springs. I found TI (used) springs for only 25 pounds (yep, all 4). But they are from a Q4 4x4 model, with the 2,4 motor.

Mine is also a facelift model, post 2008, like the one i found. But are the springs the same on the Q4 Ti and normal Ti ? Will I be able to fit them onto my 2,4 Lusso (FWD) from the 2,4 TI Q4 model ?

The other option is an Eibach pro kit, which i found new, but it is 130 pounds for the set.
Also, second question is will the Eibachs be OK with the stock shocks ? I mean will they wear out more quickly or is it a common practice to put lowering springs on stock shocks ?

Because I am thinking that it will have less travel with the lowering springs and therefore might get more preasure and wear out more quickly. And I am sure that this was already asked before, but could not find the answer...

I thank You all in advance !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Eibach springs are fine with the stock shocks. I would definitely recommend them over a set of 25 OEM Ti springs, the Ti springs are known to snap (both my rears snapped at 144k km) and others have the same (have a search on the forum!!), also you have no idea about the life the 25 ones had (and when spending a large amount of money to get them installed its not worth it. If you can afford it, also get the shocks replaced (ideally Bilstein B4s), as yours will be old and tired, as a minimum double check yours for leaks.

For inner edge wear, make sure you get the alignment checked, the out of the factory setting was something stupid like a toe out of -6, ideally you should only need -1/2 (Alfa changed the setting to something similar later on, but many people still use the original aggressive settings)

159 1.9JTDM Ti and Giulietta 2.0 Veloce
ex: Punto 55s, Golf Mk5 1.4FSi, A3 (8P) Sportback 2.0TDi SE, A4 (B8) 2.0TDI S-Line, 306 HDI Meridian
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
I would fit the originals because I like the way Alfa have tested them to give a compliant ride.
However, the weight of a 4x4 compared to a 4x2 will make them stiffer and higher.
If you buy after market springs they won't have different springs for the different weights.

AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Engineer View Post
I would fit the originals because I like the way Alfa have tested them to give a compliant ride.
However, the weight of a 4x4 compared to a 4x2 will make them stiffer and higher.
If you buy after market springs they won't have different springs for the different weights.
Eibach supply at least two different specs depending on the engine and weight of the car. Believe they also supply different ones depending on 4*4 and sportwagen models.
cheers
Edward
(Post Link) post #5 of 13 Old 21-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by giblets46 View Post
Eibach supply at least two different specs depending on the engine and weight of the car. Believe they also supply different ones depending on 4*4 and sportwagen models.
cheers
Edward
Yes, they definitely do. They asked me what is the engine and is it a SW or sedan. They also mentioned that Q4 is kinda different too. (I am quoting German shop "Shop Alfisti") They seem like decent people with knowledge.

I believe I will go for the Eibachs and will check on the shocks for now
AO Member

County: -kent
Ive got one front and two rear springs (genuine OE) in the garage going cheap. 50 for the 3 plus post if anyone is interested. Removed from a 2.4 saloon. Really good condition to!
(Post Link) post #7 of 13 Old 22-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSmokey159 View Post
Ive got one front and two rear springs (genuine OE) in the garage going cheap. 50 for the 3 plus post if anyone is interested. Removed from a 2.4 saloon. Really good condition to!
My idea was to go for TI or lowering springs, don't want the same height again. Are Yours TI ?

But dayum, finding one spring will be a pain in the
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavas747 View Post
My idea was to go for TI or lowering springs, don't want the same height again. Are Yours TI ?

But dayum, finding one spring will be a pain in the
No, Lusso.
Fitted Eibach springs so these are now surplus.
(Post Link) post #9 of 13 Old 25-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSmokey159 View Post
No, Lusso.
Fitted Eibach springs so these are now surplus.
Decided to go for Eibach Pro Kit
AO Member

County: Fyn
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavas747 View Post
Decided to go for Eibach Pro Kit
99 for Eibach: Alfa 159/Mito/Brera/Giulietta Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs Special Offer Alfa Romeo Suspension | TMC Motorsport
AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDm Ti

Wow what a find, I literally ordered mine on Monday from Alfisti for about 50 more all in.
AO Member

Got mine form TMC earlier in the year, a very good price.
dc
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

I don't know if you have already fitted the Powerflex bushes to the lower front suspension but if not get it done. It transforms the handling but even better stops the front tyres wearing out quickly..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , alfa , lusso , romeo , springs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page