Jacking and Axle stands . 159 ti - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By kandlbarrett
  • 1 Post By kandlbarrett
  • 1 Post By HighfieldAlfa

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 16-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Kent
Jacking and Axle stands . 159 ti

Right I know its been asked many times before but I cannot seem to find a straight answer, where is the best place to put axle stands on a 159. I have been told the jacking point , but that obviously throws up a problem when applying the second stand. I need the front of the car on stands . Answers please , pictures would help .

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
I always use a trolley jack to lift the front by jacking on a substantial part of the chassis or where the front subframe is bolted to the car using a thick piece of wood to spread the load then putting axle stands on the jacking point again block of wood to help spread the load and protect the paint.

if you only have the jack for the car do it the other way around. jack at the jacking point then put axle stands on a substantial part of the chassis or where the subframe is bolted to the body again using a thick piece of wood to spread the load.

The 159 is heavy so a substantial point must be chosen. it is also very low and quite a few standard trolley jacks won't go low enough to get under it.

Quite a few younger DIY mechanics seem to have taken to jacking on the lip of the sill but that just cracks the paint and starts a rust point.
Matt Pateman likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 16-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandlbarrett View Post
I always use a trolley jack to lift the front by jacking on a substantial part of the chassis or where the front subframe is bolted to the car using a thick piece of wood to spread the load then putting axle stands on the jacking point again block of wood to help spread the load and protect the paint.

if you only have the jack for the car do it the other way around. jack at the jacking point then put axle stands on a substantial part of the chassis or where the subframe is bolted to the body again using a thick piece of wood to spread the load.

The 159 is heavy so a substantial point must be chosen. it is also very low and quite a few standard trolley jacks won't go low enough to get under it.

Quite a few younger DIY mechanics seem to have taken to jacking on the lip of the sill but that just cracks the paint and starts a rust point.
thanks for the reply , what make of trolley jack do you have

AO Member

County: Lancashire
My Ti is too low to get a trolley heck under! Today I just used the car's own jack to get it high enough and then just place an axle stand underneath the subframe. Not very quick but effective.
Guy
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
I have one of these (now at least 20 years old) but it won't go under the 159.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FDS-Hydraul...ley+jack+2+ton

And one of these that will go under the 159.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...-trolley-jack/

A word of warning with the Clarke. You often have to push it quite a long way under the car which leaves the handle sticking out. It si very tempting to pull the handle out of the jack so that it doesn't get in the way. the problem then is that the receptacle for the handle flicks back to the vertical position meaning the car is now on the jack and you can't get the handle back in to lower or raise the car!!!!! Very poor design but a great jack apart from that.
Matt Pateman likes this.
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 17-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the replies, where are you positioning the axle stands?
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: -Wirral
I have a choice of 3 trolley jacks.I loosen the bolts on the front wheel then one of the two budget jacks I got from Aldi I slide underneath onto the largest headed bolt at the rear of the front subframe .Invariably this just about fits under and just position the handle end of the jack behind the rear of the front wheel so when you jack it up the handle uses the space between the wheel & the wheel arch. Once jacked up off the ground remove the wheel and put an axle stand as close to the trolley jack as you can using a piece of wood in the V of the axel stand to prevent damage to the chassis & spread the load between the bolt heads to prevent possible slippage.This arrangement is much stronger than the scissor jack supplied with the car.
Matt Pateman likes this.
AO Member

County: Tyrone
Garage
Lots of choices for jacking / axle stand points at the front of the 159, but I went with this. Not saying it's the best, but I chose it as there seems to be thick steel here, it's on the main chassis rail and it suited the shape of my axle stand
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170212_220154.jpg (128.9 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by damo_mc; 12-02-17 at 22:43.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , axle , jacking , stands

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page