159 Q4 - Clicking Noises... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 16-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lancashire
159 Q4 - Clicking Noises...

Hi all, the car has developed an unpleasant click, seems to be from the front right but I'm checking the other corners this weekend. It sounds like a shaft problem to me and I suspect the inner CV/Pot Joint, there feels like there is a little play when grabbing the body and rotating the brake disc. The boots are intact on both ends of the shaft and the noise doesn't change on cornering, it's mostly present when coasting, especially at lower speeds. It's not there under acceleration or braking.
I'm assuming that the offside shaft's inner spider is worn but I don't know if the wear is in the spider itself or the pot races. There's no play in the bearings and no sounds of bearing rumble.
I've got a set of parts on order to overhaul a driveshaft with the exception of the inner pot, I've only sourced the (correct for Q4) spider joint. I suspect I'm going to have to outsource this job an indy, lack of time/space at the moment but if anyone has had a similar experience or alternative diagnosis I'd be grateful to hear opinions.
Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 4 Old 16-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Okay, after a day of tinkering and finding nothing really wildly different at each corner I took it for a quick spin and no sign of the clicking now.....
All I can put it down to is wheels being slightly loose? They were all refurbished and fitted with new Continentals about 1000 miles ago, they wheels were torqued up properly and redone after 50 miles but it's possible the paint got softened/worn/compessed a little, the bolts did come off very easily (albeit with a breaker bar!).
Hey ho, if it's sorted then I guess I've got a good stock of spares that I'll need at some point in the future - or not as I always seem to need the parts I don't have.........
Guy
AO Member

County: West Midlands
Garage
When I bought my Spider Q4, this had a noise - as in a whine, pretty sure not a clicking though. I changed the tyres (all 4) and this has stopped the whine I was getting, I did noticed the old tyres on the rear were stepped. The only other thing is did one of your old tyres have a nail, screw, etc in them?
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 17-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

No, the new tyres went on 1000 miles ago. I know the sound of a tyre with something stuck in the tread or a nail/screw stuck in it. Hopefully removing the wheels, cleaning the mating faces has cured the noise this time! But time will tell!
Thanks for the suggestions though!
Guy

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , clicking , noises