Reverse light switch - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 10-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Reverse light switch

My wife's 159 reverse light doesn't work. Started out checking the bulb and that was good. Then checked cables in the flexy tube between boot and body and no damage there. Having now realised that as well as bulb the reverse sensors don't work I strongly suspect reverse switch. Does anyone know where this is located and how to access please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: St. Petersburg
Engine/gearbox junction area front my view. For 19JTDM at least.
Any electrics failures are to be checked a fuse from. Have you already exclude it???...
(Post Link) post #3 of 12 Old 11-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Didn't consider fuse. Could a fuse affect reverse light as well as sensor?

I thought perhaps the switch was on the lever/linkage mechanism but you think (or know?) that it is in the gearbox in a conventional (old fashioned) manner.
AO Silver Member

County: St. Petersburg
Nice question. Was sure before you have asked.
There are only electrical device on gearbox and I think it is.
Are any special behavior for rear parking sensors than reverse gear engaged ???...
Manual or automatic gearbox ???...
(Post Link) post #5 of 12 Old 12-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Haven't had time to check fuse yet but car is 2.4JTDM 2007 200.
(Post Link) post #6 of 12 Old 07-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Does anyone know exactly where the reverse light switch is on this car please?

I have removed the cover from the gear lever and it doesn't appear to be there. Not having a reverse light and no reverse sensor is very frustrating and it also means that anyone near you when you are manoeuvring doesn't know that you are about to reverse.

I have looked on the fuse panel beside the drivers right knee and there aren't any obviously marked for the reversing light and I have tested all fuses with a meter and all are good.

Help please.
AO Member

County: Devon
Had the same issue with mine. Checked what I could and was flummoxed... however when I replaced the bulb with an LED one just to try something else everything worked again... sensors and bulb. So I can't offer any real knowledge of the problem or a proper fix other than try an LED bulb.. worked for me.
AO Member

County: -
In the following link you can find some info from eLearn regarding the reverse switch: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...0FGX2l4V21QNDQ
From the description, i guess it should be reacheable without removing anything.
You should be looking for a two wire plug anyway.
It works like any other electrical switch, it just closes the circuit, you can test it with a bulb (powered from the battery with some wires) or a multimeter.
(Post Link) post #9 of 12 Old 07-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Mmm, that doesn't look like fun to get at and certainly doesn't look doable from above. Looks like from underneath and, maybe, remove undertray to access it.

I have done some testing with MES and the body ECU (I think it was body but may be in another ECU [forgotten already and it was only 2 hrs ago]) does not see the reverse switch operating. For me that certainly reinforces gear position sensor or circuit rather than fuse etc.

alfalion: thank you for your help.
AO Member

County: -
Hi,

I just replaced this on my 1.9 JTS (M32 gearbox), the switch is fairly easy to access from above. Its on the front face of the gear box, pointing upwards and towards the radiator, and just above an "L" (ish) shaped bend the the radiator hose. I found it difficult to determine what size socket I needed to open it as it needs a deep-socket. It turned out to be a 22mm and the generic replacement I got is a 19mm.

To verify its the switch that's at fault, after checking bulb, fuse etc., I shorted out the terminals on the switch plug with a 7.5 amp fuse, then pop in the key, no need to start, and stick it in reverse - light should be on. Just be sure you have located the correct switch before trying this!
(Post Link) post #11 of 12 Old 20-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thank you.
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 23-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Reverse lights now working. Had a look from underneath and couldn't see the switch. Had a look from on top and couldn't see the switch. After some scratching of head decided I could only see better by removing the battery and tray.

Well removed the tray and the switch is adjacent to the selector. Why wasn't it working? Well it helps if the last mechanic to removed the plug had plugged it back in. No it was not me and the last service included fitting a new inlet manifold and cost just over 2,000.

Also whilst looking around I have discovered oil leaking from the rear of the engine, it wasn't doing that prior to the last service and an allen bolt missing from the throttle shut-off plate.

So I am pleased to have reverse light and sensors working again but I shall be having rather stern words with the garage.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
light , reverse , switch