159 replacement!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 23-03-13
AO Member

County: Highlands

Member car:

Alfa 159ti 2.4 jtdm

159 replacement!!

What have previous 159 owners replaced there cars with.Are you happy with your new purchase? How does it compare ? Will you return to alfa ?

I,ve recently replaced my 159 with a audi a5 coupe 2.0 tfsi like for like the audi is quicker,more fuel efficient does'nt suffer from stone chipping, alloy's better quality.The alfa was just as planted on the road but not as refined, new for new price the audi is more expensive so should be better in certain departments so value for money alfa is ahead,i do miss the exclusitivity of the alfa but i have to admit the audi put's a big smile on my face the same way that the alfa did.I almost went for the gullietta but the front view just did not do it for me Will i be back to alfa ? most def if they get the 159 replacement right !!I do miss the 159 but the a5 is the only car i looked at that pulled the heart strings the same way, curiously enough it was apparently the same car designer for both cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 23-03-13
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent

Member car:

Giulietta Multiair

An interesting video on the A5 with Da Silva . He says he asked for extra time , probably because it only looked like an A4 coupe by the original deadline and he felt it could be better!
YouTube
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 23-03-13
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

159 TI

Nothing really takes my fancy - 159ti such a stunningly good looking car even after 4yrs...
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-13
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

9-5.Sprints.Elan.900E.GT4

Originally Posted by mikeyw View Post
Nothing really takes my fancy - 159ti such a stunningly good looking car even after 4yrs...
I am just the same. So 112k on she stays.
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-13
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 TI

Originally Posted by David Jarrett View Post
I am just the same. So 112k on she stays.
Just think how much money the lack of alternative is saving us
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-13
AO Silver Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

159 2.4ti remap,B12,Pflex

The Audi A4 was my other choice , and agree on the economy but my lifelong wish to own a RED Alfa got the better of me . Once my suspension kit is fitted I'll know if 159 ti was the way to go ---- to be honest it's the stunning looks that got me plus needing a car with enough grunt to replace my Landcruiser for towing the Minno trailer -- hence the 2.4 plus remap .
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-13
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo Spider Lusso

I replaced mine with a Mercedes B Class with a semi automatic box. I wanted a hatchback and because of the mileage I do I also wanted an automatic. I initially hated it and wanted the 159 back but it had hit 100k miles and I was starting to see the issues with the build quality that told me it wouldn't be a reliable high miler. I found the perfect compromise which was buying a Spider 916 as a second car and I really enjoy the contrast in swapping between cars but I prefer driving the spider.
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-13
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159ti 2.4 jtdm

What i was surprised with when it came to selling the 159 was that no one wanted it,Alfa has still got that old stigma hanging over it.the lack of alternative won't save you money because alfa prices i'm afraid to say are dropping like a stone,like it's been said on here many times people are leaving the brand because Alfa have no alternative for the 159
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-13
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo Spider Lusso

Originally Posted by kinloch4 View Post
What i was surprised with when it came to selling the 159 was that no one wanted it,Alfa has still got that old stigma hanging over it.the lack of alternative won't save you money because alfa prices i'm afraid to say are dropping like a stone,like it's been said on here many times people are leaving the brand because Alfa have no alternative for the 159
Yes but even if there had been a 159 replacement I wouldn't have bought another one. I got £4.5k for my 159 when it went, a car that cost me £15k when I bought it three and a half years earlier. I could have bought an Audi A4 at the time an I very nearly did but was put off by poor customer service from the main dealer even at buying stage. I know the Audi would not have depreciated to that degree but some of you may consider that reasonable depreciation. Alfa pitched the 159 as their move into the premium brand market and whilst it was far better looking than the alternative German marques the build quality simply isn't in the same league. I'm happy keeping up my ownership with an old Phase 2 spider because I love Alfa design but 159 ownership just proved to me that Alfa source cheap and nasty parts and have terrible paint problems. Probably be another 20 years before I even consider buying another new or newish Alfa.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-13
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

Alfa 147 Sport, Volvo V70

I know what you mean with the lack of demand. I traded my low mileage 59 plate Brera in November and it is still sat on the dealer's forecourt now.

I toyed with the idea of replacing it with a 159Ti SW but in the end it came down to a choice between the V70, Mercedes E Class estate or BMW 5 series estate. I'm very happy with my choice. It is so different from the Brera that you can't draw comparisons as you would if you replaced 'like with like'

I do miss having the Brera, especially when I see one on the roads, as it was my favourite car I have owned so far even if it wasn't the best car I've owned (if you know what I mean).

My OH is leaning towards a 147 as a replacement for her ageing Focus so we may have another Alfa in the family before too long
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-13
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Alfa 147 JTD and GT 3.2

Interestingly the A5 is the only Audi I'd consider buying as its a gorgeous car bit I do think that Alfa need to bring out some awesome cars as mito and 159 replacements in particular to make me buy a newish one.

If not there's still the Brera, GT or 159 to choose from
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-13
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

159 Ti 2.4 QTRONIC

In answer to the question, "what would you replace the 159 with"

in order:
  1. Nissan GTR
  2. Audi RS5
  3. BMW M5 (F10 Model)

Although, if I won the lottery it would be this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grancabrio-mc_07.jpg (117.4 KB, 36 views)
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-13
AO Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

2.4JTDM 159Ti SW

Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
In answer to the question, "what would you replace the 159 with"

in order:
  1. Nissan GTR
  2. Audi RS5
  3. BMW M5 (F10 Model)

Although, if I won the lottery it would be this:
At last, a sensible answer!
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-13
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GTV

its like every other car out there is an Audi though. sure its a great make of car and the A5 looks nice. But Alfas stand out from the crowd. Their styling is better for me that the audi. The ride is just as good. the audi does get it on refinement. It also gets it on the for the steering set up. The alfa is too senstive on the steering which isnt good for motorway driving . So say you are motorway crusing and you move the wheel a little bit the alfa will turn. Whereas the Audi (and BMW) have got the steering just spot on the initial movement is less senstive. No other manufactorers have it right like Audi and BMW in that respect. Thats part of the refinement. Gearbox on the 159 is nice. Engine range on the 159 are great. Build quality the 159 is very very good. A lot of the main shell is double skinned, not like fords or vauxhalls etc... The 159 is such a good car for the price. Thats the best thing. you can get a bargin 159 that for me is as near as dammit as good as an A4/A5 or a 3 series. But it will be about half the price for example.

I dabble in projects now and some of the alfa repair projects you can pick up are truelly fantastic. You really get to see how well a car is made when you take bits off and replace bits etc... I must say though. Alfa Romeo parts have silly delivery times when they dont have them in stock. Parts are expensive and there are no patient parts
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-13
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti 2.0jtdm

BMW 318D Sport after 159 2.0 Ti. I know what ppls reactions will be, but honestly after 11 years of Alfas (stuck it out through thick and thin) the new motor is in a different class. The build quality is superb (take a look at the rubber mouldings in the bottom of the door pulls of a 159 as an example of attention to detail), the ride is excellent, and even tho the bhp is down the BM with it's selectable driving modes feels quicker. Other plusses are 30% improvement in fuel economy, cheaper tax (£30/yr), cheaper insurance etc. All helps towards winter tyres/wheels lol

The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-13
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

2009 Brera 2.4 JTM

Ah this thread brings a smile to my face mainly because i have to admit to owning a TR7v8 Grinnall conversion WHY you ask it sounds great gets loads of people who weren't born in the seventies and some that were say "nice car mate" and is fun to drive

My main car is a Brera so let me think will i be dragged down and follow the sheep and lose my sole and trade it in for one of the thousands of look-a-like BMW-Audi damn no

If i can keep the Triumph going for 30yrs till the brera arrived i think i can last a few more years for another (Maybe Alfa) to brighten up the rest of the punters on the road days

Till then they can look admire and wish that had the sole to drive an Alfa or should that be guts

What would i trade a 159 or Brera in for umm dunno yet that havn't manufactured it
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-13
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 TI

Rubbish - I'm 4yrs in so depreciation curve nicely smoothing out. I got a pre-reg £4.5k under book, If I sold today I reckon it'd have cost me £6.5k for 4years ownership....good example low miler TI's will always sell, such an iconic car
  #18 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-13
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 TI

Originally Posted by A l f a View Post
its like every other car out there is an Audi though. sure its a great make of car and the A5 looks nice. But Alfas stand out from the crowd. Their styling is better for me that the audi. The ride is just as good. the audi does get it on refinement. It also gets it on the for the steering set up. The alfa is too senstive on the steering which isnt good for motorway driving . So say you are motorway crusing and you move the wheel a little bit the alfa will turn. Whereas the Audi (and BMW) have got the steering just spot on the initial movement is less senstive. No other manufactorers have it right like Audi and BMW in that respect. Thats part of the refinement. Gearbox on the 159 is nice. Engine range on the 159 are great. Build quality the 159 is very very good. A lot of the main shell is double skinned, not like fords or vauxhalls etc... The 159 is such a good car for the price. Thats the best thing. you can get a bargin 159 that for me is as near as dammit as good as an A4/A5 or a 3 series. But it will be about half the price for example.

I dabble in projects now and some of the alfa repair projects you can pick up are truelly fantastic. You really get to see how well a car is made when you take bits off and replace bits etc... I must say though. Alfa Romeo parts have silly delivery times when they dont have them in stock. Parts are expensive and there are no patient parts
good post - the 159 build quality is much better than people give it credit for..it's a tank !
  #19 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-13
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti 2.0jtdm

Mikeyw please explain. £4.5k under book should be abt £21k. Estimated value today £14.5K, on a 59/10 plate, I don't think so even at maindealer prices.
  #20 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-13
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 TI

Originally Posted by rorystorm View Post
BMW 318D Sport after 159 2.0 Ti. I know what ppls reactions will be, but honestly after 11 years of Alfas (stuck it out through thick and thin) the new motor is in a different class. The build quality is superb (take a look at the rubber mouldings in the bottom of the door pulls of a 159 as an example of attention to detail), the ride is excellent, and even tho the bhp is down the BM with it's selectable driving modes feels quicker. Other plusses are 30% improvement in fuel economy, cheaper tax (£30/yr), cheaper insurance etc. All helps towards winter tyres/wheels lol
Running cost savings must be nice but you pay a lot more up front, they've vastly improved the look of the once ugly 3series but it's still no Sienna Miller like the 159
  #21 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-13
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 TI

Originally Posted by rorystorm View Post
Mikeyw please explain. £4.5k under book should be abt £21k. Estimated value today £14.5K, on a 59/10 plate, I don't think so even at maindealer prices.
Got a 1.9ti for £17.5k, it's a minter with low miles so I reckon £11k is about right
  #22 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-13
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159ti 2.4 jtdm

Mine was a minter with low miles in the end had to accept £1500 below book price.
  #23 (Post Link)  
Old 24-03-13
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1730
County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

I'll chip in here......

I nearly bought a 159 almost 2 years ago, but let head rule heart and went for a Saab 9-3 TtiD - especially as they'd just been pulled from the brink by spyker, but were still cheap.

I stuffed it last October and the retail value for the miles (£7.5k, 78k miles) was below comparable Ti's on the same year (08 plate) do guess what, I bought the 159 this time!

My point - as has been said tidy sensible mileage 159s don't suffer any more than most other half decent motors

And as for replacement, the Guila could be of interest - but will need to be seriously good to tempt me away

Feelin the maser though........
  #24 (Post Link)  
Old 25-03-13
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 TI

Mine was a minter with low miles in the end had to accept £1500 below book price.
I think your location mate is a huge factor - assuming you are where your sig says.

I've not even checked book but good examples of rare cars are always in demand, especially as they reach the levels of attainability for those with lower budgets.

A guy from Ireland came all the way over to Harrogate to buy my GT......would he have done that for a 3 series or A4 ?

Don't get mugged by the BM's only lose 40% nonsense - it's all about purchase price, 40% of £28K is far more than 50% of £20K.....the market is saturated with German family cars, i'd hate to try and sell one privately.

Alfa TI
  #25 (Post Link)  
Old 25-03-13
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1068

Member car:

Brera S

Just renewed my Brera as really have no idea where I'd go to replace it. Everything I'd like on my drive instead is just out of my league at the moment unless I buy one older than my current car and even then I'd be paying 2 or 3 times what the Brera cost me!

Some of the Audi's look lovely. The A5 looks a top motor, but I'm so bored of the sight of them and the other top german marks. I'd cry spending all that cash to have something so common.

I'd rather take my poorer economy and have a car I want to look back at every time I park it and that people admire and want to talk about.

But to the original question, if I had the cash, it would be a Jag XKR, Aston Vantage, Audi R8 or maybe a Nissan GTR.

"Think of it as Angelina Jolie. You’ve heard she’s mad and eats nothing but wallpaper paste. But you would, wouldn’t you?” Jeremy Clarkson on the Brera
Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
Alfa-CF2-V6-Plenum-C...
Alfa-CF3-V6-Plenum-C...
Kleber Quadraxer...
Alfa Romeo 156...
2009 Alfa Romeo...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Ao Killarney Meet...

View David P's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Within your User Control Panel, you can change the way AO works:
For example, to change the number of posts per page, go to Edit Options and scroll down to 'Thread Display Options'. In the section 'Number of Posts to Show Per Page' select a desired amount.

New To Site? Need Help?