159 replacement!! - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #126 (Post Link)  
Old 19-04-13
AO Member

County: Highlands

Member car:

Alfa 159ti 2.4 jtdm

+1 kayem thats what i found when i tried to sell my alfa 159 recently i thought it was worth more till i tried to sell it low mileage in excellent condition, they might be good looking cars but very hard to sell on unless your realistic with your price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#127 (Post Link)  
Old 19-04-13
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti 2.0jtdm

+2 Kayem. Exactly the same experience here. The only offer for my low mileage 2.0Ti, 32 months old was from the dealer that I bought if from 10 months earlier -£6000!!!! I eventually got a better deal elsewhere but still £4500 depreciation over 10 months. I'm quite happy to have a new BMW 318d sat outside for £340/month, with a relatively small deposit, I can afford the monthly payment, but no way could I afford the £29000 to buy the car!!!
  #128 (Post Link)  
Old 19-04-13
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

159 TI

Originally Posted by kayem View Post
Dream on, more like £7000 if you find a dealer in a good mood on a sunny day, and that's today, not in a year or two. I swapped my low mileage almost as new 159 for a far more expensive Mercedes about 18 months ago, the MB dealer phoned everyone in the area, and the best he could get was hundreds under book from the Alfa dealer who'd sold it me in the first place. You could get more from a private sale, but have you tried doing that recently? When I bought my 159 I knew what I was letting myself in for, so the figures didn't surprise me, it was a lovely car and a rewarding experience, though not cheap. 10k for a car (an Alfa!!!) that you paid £17.5 for four years previously? like I said, dream on.

What's the price i paid for it got to do with the resale price ?

As for a dealer who on earth sells to dealers ?.....never sold 1 car to a dealer and never will, my last Alfa was sold to a bloke woh came over from Ireland to buy it, not sure he'd do that for another make.

Maybe £10K is optimistic but i'd get £9 for it every day of the week in a private sale.

Just to prove my point, from parkers on a 40K miles example - Private Good £9,720

I can't believe people are giving their TI's away so cheaply....madness

Alfa TI
  #129 (Post Link)  
Old 19-04-13
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti 2.0jtdm

Ooops, sorry I just remembered that if it's in Parkers it's as good as cash in hand.......if only!!!
  #130 (Post Link)  
Old 19-04-13
AO Member

County: Highlands

Member car:

Alfa 159ti 2.4 jtdm

Alfa 159 1.9 JTDM ti 2010 xenons, electric seats ,parking sensors,sunroof from a dealer on auto trader £8,450.
  #131 (Post Link)  
Old 19-04-13
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.4 SW, TR7, 9-3 Aero

I lost circa £9500 on mine - 2007 (57) 2.4 SW Lusso having owned the car for 43 months. I figure that wasn't bad. In real terms I got around £1500 more for a 6 1/2 yo 159 than I did for a 2.4 156 at 4yo. Sure... I could have got more had I hung out for it, but when I decide to sell I want it gone, the car gets priced realistically (I use Glass's as a guide) and all 3 of our Alfa's have found new homes within 1wk.

The issue with selling an Alfa is that you generally need someone who wants an Alfa, not someone who is looking for a a saloon/estate (as with the 159) who is open to any marque as long as the car ticks boxes; whether we like it or not, whether it's our experience or not, one of the first comments when you say you drive an Alfa will usually be "when are you getting a reliable car?" or something along those lines. The wider perception is one of poor build, suspect reliability, dodgy electrics, etc. May not be real, but that's still the opinion of most.

...and I still can't believe Alfa have nothing to offer me, other than the same car with TI trimmings and a less characterful engine. I'll always look enviously at the 159 but I may never return to Alfa having turned to the Darkside.

... I've not gone for a new Beemer, a used 6-series instead, but the deal was good and 3 year unlimited mileage service plan is just £600!
  #132 (Post Link)  
Old 20-04-13
AO Member

Member car:

MB C Class AMG coupé

Originally Posted by mikeyw View Post
What's the price i paid for it got to do with the resale price ?
You got a good deal, but everyone knows that the last few 159s were unloaded at very low prices, that was enough to kill secondhand values stone dead, and they weren't great before. It's going to take a long time for things to recover, if they ever do. The fact that we all know 159s are great cars, and undervalued by almost everyone, isn't going to change that state of affairs.
  #133 (Post Link)  
Old 20-04-13
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

9-5.Sprints.Elan.900E.GT4

Things may start to balance out as a lot of us hang on to our 159s.

I did the showroom rounds of XF, 3 and 5 series, C and E class and Audi A5.

All were okay - nothing grabbed me.
  #134 (Post Link)  
Old 20-04-13
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Lexus ISF

Because they are all common cars, you too look at lower selling different cars like the 159.
  #135 (Post Link)  
Old 20-04-13
AO Member

Member car:

Spider TS : BMW Msport

I have had 6 Alfas and currently have a Brera, I have decided to change it for a C Class Sport. I think I may have finally fallen out of love with the Italians :-( The finish and build quality is just not good enough in my opinion. The C Class is faster, more fuel efficient and above all is finished properly. I also personally think the C Class sport looks better and has more on road presence than the 159.

I had a TT before the Brera and even though it was 2 years older than my Brera it was far more solid and the paintwork and interior looked newer.
  #136 (Post Link)  
Old 23-04-13
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex

Member car:

Genesis 3.8

Originally Posted by rorystorm View Post
+2 Kayem. Exactly the same experience here. The only offer for my low mileage 2.0Ti, 32 months old was from the dealer that I bought if from 10 months earlier -£6000!!!! I eventually got a better deal elsewhere but still £4500 depreciation over 10 months. I'm quite happy to have a new BMW 318d sat outside for £340/month, with a relatively small deposit, I can afford the monthly payment, but no way could I afford the £29000 to buy the car!!!
I'm not sure that you can really calculate the depreciation by comparing what you bought the car for and what you sold it for, it's more the difference between the price you paid and what the next person pays the dealer you sold it to. probably £3000 at a guess, which isn't too bad
  #137 (Post Link)  
Old 24-04-13
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 TI

I've had a quick look this morning on Trader and nothing similiar to mine local for under £10K - ok these may be overpriced examples but it's an indication of what people are aiming for.

Alfa Romeo 159 1.9 JTDM 16V TI 4dr Diesel Saloon£10,000
2009 (09 reg), SaloonPrivate seller
42,000 miles
Manual
1.9L
Diesel

It's all very hypothetical as i'm not selling but i'd put my house on getting £9K minimum. I guess where you live in the country is a factor as well on what you can achieve. Low mileage really does increase the car's value.
  #138 (Post Link)  
Old 24-04-13
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti 2.0jtdm

phil-gtv6 Maybe you can explain this to my bank manager, I'm sure he'll be happy to add the dealers profit back into my account!!!!
  #139 (Post Link)  
Old 24-04-13

I've had a quick look this morning on Trader and nothing similiar to mine local for under £10K - ok these may be overpriced examples but it's an indication of what people are aiming for.

Alfa Romeo 159 1.9 JTDM 16V TI 4dr Diesel Saloon£10,000
2009 (09 reg), SaloonPrivate seller
42,000 miles
Manual
1.9L
Diesel

It's all very hypothetical as i'm not selling but i'd put my house on getting £9K minimum. I guess where you live in the country is a factor as well on what you can achieve. Low mileage really does increase the car's value.
You may be lucky but it sounds more like cloud cuckoo land. Those 159s are on Auto Trader because nobody has bought them.

It is 3 years ago that I traded my 159 with a similar spec to yours, only the car was only 2 years old and 38,000 miles. It was sold on at £10,995 advertised price - so probably £10,500 tops. Since then, the car has gone out of production, nobody seems to want them other than other Alfa fans and the recession has bitten deeply.

Don't bet your house on the 9 grand just in case you find yourself living in a cardboard box.
  #140 (Post Link)  
Old 24-04-13

Originally Posted by luciano aliquo View Post
even the new jeep has a "new v6 engine" in them the only v6 engine fiat has is the alfa engine fiat buys a company not to use there parts but to replace them with there own.
selling cars is only have the battle the replacement parts is where the money is at
Not quite sure what you are saying here but to put things straight, the Lancia Thema uses either the 3.6 litre Chrysler Pentastar petrol engine at 286bhp, or the 3 litre Diesel in two outputs 190 and 236bhp, manufactured by VM Motori in Italy. (VM is now jointly owned by GM and FPT)

To date, none of these engines has ever been used in an Alfa Romeo. And the current Lancia Thema does NOT have an Alfa Romeo engine.

Alfa Romeo have not themselves manufactured a V6 engine since the famous "Busso" 2.5, 3.0 and 3.2 litre engines used in the 156/166/156GTA etc. Production stopped in 2005 when the Arese plant was closed although a stock of engines allowed some models to be fitted with the engine up to about 2006.

The 3.2 petrol V6 used in the 159/Brera and Series 2 166 was of course the GM sourced Holden engine.
  #141 (Post Link)  
Old 24-04-13
AO Member

Member car:

Brera S, BMW 335d M-Sport

Ive had my Brera S for a little over 8 months now? and well.. to be completely honest, I'm selling/trading it in...

For, of all things, a BMW 335d M-Sport Coupe (E92)...

I love my brera, but for all intense and purposes, its heavier then I'd like on fuel and the things that have gone wrong on it has cost me an arm and a leg... maybe a kidney as well...
  #142 (Post Link)  
Old 26-04-13
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

alfa 159 Ti

Cry Like A Baby

Originally Posted by kinloch4 View Post
What have previous 159 owners replaced there cars with.Are you happy with your new purchase? How does it compare ? Will you return to alfa ?

I,ve recently replaced my 159 with a audi a5 coupe 2.0 tfsi like for like the audi is quicker,more fuel efficient does'nt suffer from stone chipping, alloy's better quality.The alfa was just as planted on the road but not as refined, new for new price the audi is more expensive so should be better in certain departments so value for money alfa is ahead,i do miss the exclusitivity of the alfa but i have to admit the audi put's a big smile on my face the same way that the alfa did.I almost went for the gullietta but the front view just did not do it for me Will i be back to alfa ? most def if they get the 159 replacement right !!I do miss the 159 but the a5 is the only car i looked at that pulled the heart strings the same way, curiously enough it was apparently the same car designer for both cars.
I have recently replaced my 159 ti with a mercedes c350 cdi, it's a nice car, faster and more ecconomical, but i miss my alfa very much, i don't look back any more when parked as it's just another euro box, i am now regretting selling it , i should of replaced it with an audi a5 coupe, i will be back to alfa when the Giulia comes out
  #143 (Post Link)  
Old 26-04-13
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 TI

Originally Posted by MikeX159 View Post
You may be lucky but it sounds more like cloud cuckoo land. Those 159s are on Auto Trader because nobody has bought them.

It is 3 years ago that I traded my 159 with a similar spec to yours, only the car was only 2 years old and 38,000 miles. It was sold on at £10,995 advertised price - so probably £10,500 tops. Since then, the car has gone out of production, nobody seems to want them other than other Alfa fans and the recession has bitten deeply.

Don't bet your house on the 9 grand just in case you find yourself living in a cardboard box.
Guess we'l never know as no plans to sell atm - Maybe cars in my part of the country fetch a tad more....10 might have been optimistic but £9K for a very low mileage TI...i'm sure there's plenty out there waiting for such a car, low mileage examples are pretty rare and are more sought after...
  #144 (Post Link)  
Old 27-04-13
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.4 SW, TR7, 9-3 Aero

Originally Posted by Morkey View Post
Ah this thread brings a smile to my face mainly because i have to admit to owning a TR7v8 Grinnall conversion WHY you ask it sounds great gets loads of people who weren't born in the seventies and some that were say "nice car mate" and is fun to drive
Ah-ha a fellow Wedgepilot

Just clocked 800+miles in the last 10days in my tweaked '76 FHC. Puts a smile on my face each time... even had Directors from a large exhaust company come out to see the car after a recent meeting.

As for Alfa replacement..... I've been without one for just over a week, but have to say I'm loving the BMW () 630i. I've always preferred RWD but I've never been lured to Mercedes, or BMW and though the 6 series has won me over completely (despite covering only 200miles since collection)..... As for 'snow' - no probs as I've already ordered some wheels with winter boots on.

Someone should point Alfa to this (and similar threads though to show the 'lost' business - loved the cars I've had but can't say I'll return)
  #145 (Post Link)  
Old 27-04-13

Originally Posted by WedgePilot View Post
Someone should point Alfa to this (and similar threads though to show the 'lost' business - loved the cars I've had but can't say I'll return)
I don't think there is any doubt that Alfa Romeo have lost customers because of them not having a follow-on model from the 159.
After the effort that allegedly went into improving build quality, they have thrown it away because for most people, the logical replacement choice when parting with their three-year-old Alfas is going to be German.
  #146 (Post Link)  
Old 28-04-13
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Lexus ISF

Or Jap in my case. Hope the Guilia is going to be good or Alfa won't get the lost customers back
  #147 (Post Link)  
Old 29-04-13
AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

C250CDI AMG Sport Plus

I swapped to Mercedes (C250CDI AMG Sport) and couldn't be happier

Better in every way than the Alfa (apart from looks) but still no minger!

Great equipment levels, build quality, ride etc. SHIIIITE in snow tho'

On the subject of 159 values.... FGA tried to sell mine to me for £11k 8 months ago (1.9TI Carbonio Black, Natural Leather 42K miles, mint condition) I refused and told them it would never in a million years reach that at auction and to consider selling it to me for less, I was obviously right as it was sold on the garage forecourt in Nottingham with a screen price of £9500, not sure of the actual selling price.
FGA clearly lost out at auction!!

Having said all of the above, I have been driving a new E Class Sport for 10 weeks as Stuttgart try to decipher an engine problem I have with my C Class At least they are looking after me, If it was an Alfa dealer they would have probably have me running round in a 1.0 Fiat 500
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00842-20120805-1943.jpg (93.7 KB, 16 views)
  #148 (Post Link)  
Old 29-04-13
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 TI

Originally Posted by pipadip View Post
If it was an Alfa dealer they would have probably have me running round in a 1.0 Fiat 500
Sadly that is the exact reality - any dealer with an ounce of sense would have you in their best motor to temp you to buy one next time around...
  #149 (Post Link)  
Old 29-04-13

My Alfa dealer ended up with 3 cylnder Suzuki Altos as courtesy cars! Epic Fail!
  #150 (Post Link)  
Old 29-04-13
AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

C250CDI AMG Sport Plus

Sadly that is the exact reality - any dealer with an ounce of sense would have you in their best motor to temp you to buy one next time around...
I am tempted to ask for a C63 for the weekend seeing as they've had mine for so long, it's the least they can do
Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
Alfa-CF2-V6-Plenum-C...
Alfa-CF3-V6-Plenum-C...
Kleber Quadraxer...
Alfa Romeo 156...
2009 Alfa Romeo...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Ao Killarney Meet...

View David P's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Clicking the small triangle on the right hand side of every post will take you to the top of the page.
Very handy as you can instantly reach the site navigation bar!

New To Site? Need Help?