HELP PLEASE just put some petrol in my Diesel car, 159 1.9 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 25-06-12
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

alfa 159 2.0 jtdm lusso

HELP PLEASE just put some petrol in my Diesel car, 159 1.9

Could anyone please give me a definitive answer on this?. I have just put 1.4 litres of unleaded fuel in my tank beforeI realised it wasnt diesel. I confused the Super BP unleaded with the Super Diesel, usually I just use standard diesel.

I phoned the AA who put me on to their fuel service and they wanted £220.00 to come out and drain the tank. I therefore phoned a mechanic I know who said it will be ok if I fill the tank, I hadnt yet started the engine the car was parked at the pump.

I therefore added 54 litres of diesel brimming the tank and carefully drove home 40 miles. Should I now leave it as the car seems to be ok but a bit noisier (could be imagining this as I had the stereo off on the drive home -PEACE OF MIND COMPLETELY GONE!!). Or should I get the tank drained tomorrow after driving 40 miles back to work (the garage I use is near my workplace)

There is so much conflictin advice if there is anyone who knows what is best to do I would be really grateful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 25-06-12
AO Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

159 Lusso & Tornado RS

That amount is minimal. Best thing you can do is keep going to the garage every day and topping up with diesel.
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 25-06-12
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1688

Member car:

159 2.4 Alfatuned

Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
Could anyone please give me a definitive answer on this?. I have just put 1.4 litres of unleaded fuel in my tank beforeI realised it wasnt diesel. I confused the Super BP unleaded with the Super Diesel, usually I just use standard diesel.

I phoned the AA who put me on to their fuel service and they wanted £220.00 to come out and drain the tank. I therefore phoned a mechanic I know who said it will be ok if I fill the tank, I hadnt yet started the engine the car was parked at the pump.

I therefore added 54 litres of diesel brimming the tank and carefully drove home 40 miles. Should I now leave it as the car seems to be ok but a bit noisier (could be imagining this as I had the stereo off on the drive home -PEACE OF MIND COMPLETELY GONE!!). Or should I get the tank drained tomorrow after driving 40 miles back to work (the garage I use is near my workplace)

There is so much conflictin advice if there is anyone who knows what is best to do I would be really grateful.
You'll be fine. We used to put a gallon of petrol in over winter to stop it freezing.
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 25-06-12
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 159 2.0 jtdm lusso

Thanks, I will do that. Needed some confirmation before I hit the sack. Early start tomorrow.

Peter
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 26-06-12
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

07 159 2.4 JTDm 200BHP

Put approx 40 litres in a Vectra at Reading services. Car got onto motorway before coming to a halt. Fuel drained and no damage done.

Put about the same in a 1.6 Focus. Drove 160 miles Okehampton (Devon) to Swindon. I still don't believe that car went that far without stopping though there was a slight hesitation on light throttle opening. Got to J15 M4 and as I stopped at the lights so did the engine. Fuel drained and no damage done.

You will be fine but not all cars injection systems would survive what I did to the Focus!

Last edited by kandlbarrett; 26-06-12 at 21:49.
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 26-06-12
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 401
County: Caerphilly

Member car:

GTV TS, BMW 530 GT Msport

No need to drain fuel for such a small amount of petrol. Just keep it as diluted as possible. Fill up daily for a week and then run as normal should be ok 👍
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 26-06-12
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

159 2.4JDTm Ti Q4 & MiTo

Originally Posted by alfaholik View Post
No need to drain fuel for such a small amount of petrol. Just keep it as diluted as possible. Fill up daily for a week and then run as normal should be ok 👍
Yep. Dilution is the solution to pollution. Adding a small amount of petrol to a diesel car is much less of a crisis than adding diesel to a petrol car.
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 26-06-12
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

07 159 2.4 JTDm 200BHP

Or adding diesel to a petrol motorbike!!!!!
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 27-06-12
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti SW 210Bhp 2010

No probs, you can add upto 5% petrol, to stop freezing in the winter.
You're well bellow that.

Excessive Diesel in petrol engine will do less damage than the reverse, especially with the common rail sytem.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 27-06-12
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159SWTI, V8M3, Daytona675

Fred, I think you got petrol and diesel round the wrong way in your last sentence? I.e. I believe you're saying that Common rail diesels can tolerate a bit of petrol.
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 27-06-12
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti SW 210Bhp 2010

That's what I meant, you can put up to 5% of Ptrol in Diesel
But I was also replying to Redmatt who implied that Diesel in a Petrol car was worse, which is wrong.
To recap:
Too much Petrol in Diesel NOT GOOD risk of damage (especially in CR)
Too much Diesel in Petrol NO PROBLEM just smoke till too much Diesel then does not run, but no damage.

Hope I've been clearer.
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 27-06-12
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

159 2.4 Alfatuned

Cry Like A Baby

Originally Posted by fredvr View Post
That's what I meant, you can put up to 5% of Ptrol in Diesel
But I was also replying to Redmatt who implied that Diesel in a Petrol car was worse, which is wrong.
To recap:
Too much Petrol in Diesel NOT GOOD risk of damage (especially in CR)
Too much Diesel in Petrol NO PROBLEM just smoke till too much Diesel then does not run, but no damage.

Hope I've been clearer.
Hmmmm. You wrong there. Diesel in a petrol car is really bad news. As the viscosity of diesel is a lot thicker / waxyer than petrol it really cloggs up all the injection system. It can burn out the fuel pump, block the filter and really knacker the injectors. Plus the fuel pressure reg just throw a right wobberly and goes on holiday never to return.
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 27-06-12
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

Alfa 145 cloverleaf

I had a Toyota hi lux petrol.went to fill up with petrol put around 20 liters of diesel then nearly cryed.i then brimmed it with petrol as a friend said that's all you can do.it ran perfect apart from a bit of smoke when I changed gear.
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 28-06-12
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

159 JTDm

I think I read somewhere that its actually recommended to add the odd litre of petrol to your diesel every year or so ,...to give the engine a clean out or something ...or maybe I am remembering wrong...I will have a look it up and let you know ! But Wife did the same ...about 5-6litres petrol in a focus diesel ...didnt bother the car at all
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 28-06-12
AO Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

2.4 159 + Mito

Originally Posted by coxy1 View Post
You'll be fine. We used to put a gallon of petrol in over winter to stop it freezing.
This is true. It was, and maybe still is, a common practise for haulage contractors to put a small percentage of petrol into the diesel to reduce the risk of freezing.
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 29-06-12
AO Member

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Member car:

159, 156, Giulietta(soon)

after a major fuel contamination of unknown fluids in my fathers car i cleaned the system and ran a 30% mix of petrol and 70% Diesel to help clean out the piping etc of his Diesel VW passat. the bloody thing ran better than 100% Diesel ! u'll be fine bud like the others have said just keep topping it up and let the petrol dilute down.
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 03-07-12
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 159 2.0 jtdm lusso

Thanks Vromm and everyone else who replied. The first fill was 2.89% petrol, 1.54 litres of petrol and then brimmed with 53.21 of diesel, after that I ran it down and put another 20 litres in, I reckoned that was then 1.82% petrol left in the tank.

Today I added 31.93 litres of diesel and I reckon that only 0.7% petrol is now left (0.38 litres in 53 litres of diesel). I was feeling ok that I had got away with it but there are some real horror stories on the internet if you Google it, all about the pump and injectors not working due to the solvent effects of the petrol. However further research found that up to 5% should be ok.

Then tonight it didnt start first time and started cutting out at the lights, its too late to drain it so I wonder if this is connected. Could be petrol vapour in the common rail?
  #18 (Post Link)  
Old 04-07-12
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti SW 210Bhp 2010

Hmmmm. You wrong there. Diesel in a petrol car is really bad news. As the viscosity of diesel is a lot thicker / waxyer than petrol it really cloggs up all the injection system. It can burn out the fuel pump, block the filter and really knacker the injectors. Plus the fuel pressure reg just throw a right wobberly and goes on holiday never to return.
Don't think so Coxy.
- How does viscosity block the fuel system? the internal pipe diameters are not pinholes.
- Burn the pump, tell me how, a gear pump will get more damaged by running Diesel than petrol, a gear pump will pump anything, (may be not honey) it is a positive displacement pump, with safety valve built in, so if pressure gets too high it will release the excess.
- Block the filter!!! a filter blocks solid particules down to 5 micron on a diesel filter, how are you going to glogg a petrol filter.
- the CR injector are working 1600bar or more, tolerance 5-10micron, a petrol injector is not built with such tolerances, so diesel will pass through.
- A pressure regulator will regulate on pressure, nothing to do with viscosity. So if the pressure increases a little bit due to the increase in viscosity (small remember it is a mixture Petrol / Diesel we are talking about) the reg. will open a bit more to let the extra pressure out.

I will camp on my position.
  #19 (Post Link)  
Old 05-07-12
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

159 2.4 Alfatuned

Originally Posted by fredvr View Post
Don't think so Coxy.
- How does viscosity block the fuel system? the internal pipe diameters are not pinholes.
- Burn the pump, tell me how, a gear pump will get more damaged by running Diesel than petrol, a gear pump will pump anything, (may be not honey) it is a positive displacement pump, with safety valve built in, so if pressure gets too high it will release the excess.
- Block the filter!!! a filter blocks solid particules down to 5 micron on a diesel filter, how are you going to glogg a petrol filter.
- the CR injector are working 1600bar or more, tolerance 5-10micron, a petrol injector is not built with such tolerances, so diesel will pass through.
- A pressure regulator will regulate on pressure, nothing to do with viscosity. So if the pressure increases a little bit due to the increase in viscosity (small remember it is a mixture Petrol / Diesel we are talking about) the reg. will open a bit more to let the extra pressure out.

I will camp on my position.
Re read my comment before you jump in. Diesel in a petrol is not good. When was the last time you saw a geared fuel pump on a petrol 159 ? Re check you info on petrol injectors contaminated with diesel.
I reiterate my comment diesel in a petrol car is much worse than petrol in diesel car. So put your tent away.
I was second to respond tell the OP that a small amount of petrol in his diesel was fine, before you came in to echo my comment that is was used in the past to stop it freezing.
Chill your beans.

Last edited by coxy1; 05-07-12 at 03:01.
  #20 (Post Link)  
Old 05-07-12
AO Member

County: West Sussex

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 159 JTMm Lusso

Getting back to the actual problem Peter S is having.

I would see if you can get it running and take it for a good drive at consistant fast speeds to fully clear the system out. If you have a nice motorway you can waste some diesel on probably worth it. Then if you still having issues it may be that that nice petrol has done what has been mentioned here and started clearing out all the muck in the system and your EGR valve is now playing up as the crud is coming off/through the system. Whip it off and have a thorough clean?
  #21 (Post Link)  
Old 05-07-12
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

159 1.9JTDm Lusso '57'

If the petrol has acted as a solvent and started to clean the tank/fuel lines etc your fuel filter might be blocked as well (with the crud coming out of the tank)

I'd change that as well as check the EGR valve.

#22 (Post Link)  
Old 05-07-12
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 401
County: Caerphilly

Member car:

GTV TS, BMW 530 GT Msport

Handbags at Dawn anyone?
  #23 (Post Link)  
Old 05-07-12
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

159 2.4 Alfatuned

Cant agree more. Those who do and so forth
  #24 (Post Link)  
Old 06-07-12
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti SW 210Bhp 2010

When was the last time you saw a geared fuel pump on a petrol 159 ? Re check you info on petrol injectors contaminated with diesel.
I reiterate my comment diesel in a petrol car is much worse than petrol in diesel car.
The petrol pump is either internal gear of palette pump (I haven't opened a 159 yet but many others, rather rare in petrol version ), both positive displacement and either will run with Diesel in Petrol mixture. Even engine oil for that matter.

Diesel in Petrol will be like running 2 stroke, depending on the mixture, it might be to high for it to ignite even with spark plugs. But if low enough it will run.
For example my parents in-law did it a few years ago, to what I could gather the mix was not far of 50-50 leaning more towards 60-40 in favour of petrol, the car ran, not well though with a lot of smoke (the smell behind must have been horrible), at the next stop they refilled with petrol and the car never had to go to the garage for repair.

But at no time time will create physical (mechanical) damage, if the proportion of Diesel was to high, a good ultrasonic clean, will put the engine back on the road.
Not like if you put the same percentage of Petrol in Diesel, then the wallet will suffer and go on a mega diet... HP pump and injectors are not cheap, labour neither.

Anyway, I leave you with your ideas, and whoever thinks like you.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159, alfa 159 jtd 16v with 18, car, diesel, petrol, put

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
Alfa romeo...
Alfa Romeo MiTo 1.4...