My Alfa Romeo 155 TS 8valve - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 13-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Gauteng
My Alfa Romeo 155 TS 8valve

Hi Guys

I have just bought my 1st 155 8 valve, the car is in quite good condition, however there does seem to be quite a bit of rust on the suspension etc..... Also there is some rust on the floor pans but that can be fixed quite easily, other than that the car looks really great, all the panels are straight and the car is 100% complete with original 15" speedline alloys, Engine runs very well, It even came with a radio cassette player that actually still works, I am planning on fixing this car up nicely to add to the Alfa fleet

Any tips or advice on these would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

03 147 1.6TS
95 155 TS 8Valve

77 Alfetta 2.0 Exec "Short Nose"
GT Junior 2ltr
73 Guilia Super 1.6
84 Alfasud 1.5 Ti
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
There's a font of knowledge and keen owners on ? Index page - well worth joining.

The 8-valve is a tough engine - in UK mainly fitted in 1.8 and 2.0 litre form in the earlier "skinny-bodied" models, although the first "wide-body" 1.8s also used it (I think to run-out supplies), before the 16v engine took over.

The suspension is largely common to the 155, 145 and 146, of course, and the front is also shared with the GTV. 1.8 engined cars have smaller front brakes, and there are many threads on the 155 forum on what to do if you want to improve them.

Any specific questions, ask away!

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 16-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Gauteng
Hi rgwm

Thanks for the reply, after doing some research, my 155 seems to be the "skinny-bodied" as it has the lipped rear wheel arch as well as the flush mesh grill.

I think I might start with refurbishing the suspension as its a bit rusty, however with some grinding and rust treatment, it should be fine without replacing it other than the rubber components

I also started the car and left it to idle, the radiator fan only comes on at about 100 degrees, guess the thermostat would need replacing as well along with a good engine service
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside
Hi matey, there is also a sensor that plugs into the thermostat, mind you with an Alfa that age a new thermostat is a good idea, great choice of car btw
AO Platinum Member
Thermostat should be fully open at 88C, the fan will come on at 92C and stay on until the temperature falls to 90C.

It could be the temperature gauge is incorrect.. If the gauge gets quickly up to "88" while driving on the open road, and then stays there, then it's okay. You *might* see the temperature get to "86" and then dip a little as the stat' opens.. before continuing up to 88.

Or the sender on the fan might be too lazy (coming on late, despite the coolant temperature being high) given its age. I'd remove it and give it a good de-scale and clean to see if that makes things better.

If you need a new radiator in the future, you can fit the rad from the 2.5 diesel. It's about 8cm wider.. If you peep through the grille you'll see the rad' doesn't go all the way across the aperture You will have to remove a blanking plastic to make space for it.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

155 , 8valve , alfa , romeo