Cam & Timing Help Needed? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 13-01-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
Cam & Timing Help Needed?

Make: 155
Year: 1996
Engine: 2.0 T.S. 16v
Mileage: 307 000 km

Hi Guys,
Seeing as this is my 1st post for the new year. I wish you guys a happy new year!

This is going to be a bit of a thesis. Sorry for the long post, but I feel I have to give you guys the entire story.

1st. Head Gasket popped. replaced the head gasket. But the gasket I had lying around was too 'thin'? SO the piston was smacking up against the cylinder head. Luckily there was no damage to the piston, head or valves.

2nd. After removing the gasket, I had replaced it once again. Closed her back up and she was puring like a kitten.

3rd. After three days of driving. A knoking noise started developing from the engine. I did a compresion test and found that 2 & 4 cylinder had no compresion. Removing the cylinder head again I found that I had bent some valves and the whole toot.

4th. Took the cylinder head off and sent it in to replace all the valves, stem seals and had the head shimmed. Replaced the cam pulleys and cam belt tensioner. Which cost a bit of an arm and a leg.

5th. After putting her engin back together I started her up with no problems. But.....
as soon as the rpm goes above 2000 there is a funny knoking noise. to conclude....

The 1st thing I was thinking is that it could be the fact that the cylinder head was skimed back so far that the head gasket is actually too 'thin' and that I need to have a thicker gasket made? So I was thinking of making a thinker gasket about 3-3.5mm instead of the standard 2.5mm.

The 2nd thing is that the cam variator is advancing the inlet valves too much that the valves are smaking the piston by about a hair thikness. SO what would you guys suggest? That while I am busy, to replace the cam variator?

Once again. Apologies for the swan song.

Thank guys!
Have a great one!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
How are you setting the cam timing?
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 14-01-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

I get the crankcase pulley on TDC and use the cam locks to set the inlet & outlet cams in position.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

cam , needed , timing