Help! intermittent starter motor... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 10-05-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester
Help! intermittent starter motor...

Hello all, my lovely but tempremental widebody 155 2.0 TS is playing up... basically, when properly warmed up she sometimes doesn't turn over (sounds like girl trouble I know).
The Battery is fine, it's not a charging issue, keycode light goes out as it should. It seems to sort itself out once everything has cooled down, I've had the connections to the starter looked at and they are ok, but am still stumped. She always starts strongly 1st time when cold so I'm convinced it's a heat issue... also the fuel injector light occasionally comes on, although very briefly. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Glen155; 10-05-07 at 19:49. Reason: additional info
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: Help! intermittent starter motor...

bearings in the motor are on the way out, once the engine is hot, and subsequently the starter motor it partially seizes up, 4 solutions, don't let it get hot, fit a new starter, recon the old starter or park it on a hill when it's hot
AO Gold Member
County: Down in the Park

or bring your family when you want to drive...
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 JTD

It sounds like what I had -I took off the starter motor, opened up the solenoid (the cylinder on top of the starter) buy undoing the 3 8mm nuts and taking out the insides and spring and found that what lubrication that was there was acting more like glue. I cleaned it all out and sprayed in some chain grease, put it back together and as good as new!
The pain was getting at the starter to get if off, only way is underneath and dropping the centre engine mount. Of course don't forget to disconnect the battery before you start!!

If you have a look at this and can answer my question about the plug I cannot find a home for, I would appreciate it - it's a 2 wire jobbie (black and black/green) I don't know (cannot see) where/what it goes back onto.
AO Platinum Member
County: herts

RG's is a good idea: Just a pain to get it off. Whilst you are at it, it's not a bad idea to remove the armature, blow the dust out of the windings/case of the motor, and the brush holders, as well as cleaning and lightly lubricating, the solenoid/ pre-engagement fork etc.:
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 12-05-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester

Thanks for the advice, however I'm not a garage owner at present so will have to get my mate at Peak Alfa to ave a butchers... ta!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

intermittent , motor , starter