I've been grappling with the beast for three days solid and I think it's got the upper hand on me at the moment. Metaphorically I have it in a half-nelson but it has managed to bite hold of me cobblers!
The new radiator mounting plate went in okay
and so did the radiator itself. I had a bit of trouble with the new rad' as it has two small holes in the shoulder that my old one didn't have - presumably for drainage/bleeding..? I dunno.. but I had to block them with something. They weren't threaded so I had to put self-tapping screws in there, with an O-ring washer, to stop them leaking. Seems okay... but we'll see. I think the rad' is a universal one that also suits cars with air-con.
The slam panel/lights went in okay too. It was pretty nice putting it all back together with new fasteners.. the retaning bolts that hold the slam-panel to the wings are especially nice - they have a little bit of tension in the retaining lugs, so they just snap in place. The old ones were so corroded that they disintegrated when I took them out. I couldn't see what the point of doing it like that was.. but the new ones made it all clear. It's worth changing yours just for that feeling when the new ones just "click" into place.. .
Then AR let me down..
Some of the self-tapping screws that hold the radiator shroud and the fan to the radiator, and the radiator to the car, didn't arrive. I had to use the old ones until I can change them later.
One of the old screws was a bit weak and broke on me as I screwed it into the radiator.
It only holds a clip in place so it's not like I was leaning on it more than required to just screw it into a new (unthreaded) hole.. Now the broken stem is jammed in the hole and I can't remove it.
Consequently there's just one clip holding the fan wires in place instead of two. It's not the end of the world but if AR had managed to supply these simple items it wouldn't have happened. I hate rusty screws...
Incidentally the new screws are on "backorder" with no ETA. It's a simple self-taping screw with a bolt head!
Anyway, radiator was sorted and I also wired up the lights and horns. I think I plugged most things back how they came off. It looks pretty sexy.
The clips holding the headlamp washer hoses to the front cross-member are fantastic! My old ones were constantly loose and flopping about, so I almost didn't bother buying new ones.. but the new ones click in place solid. They're pretty splendid!
Now I wanted to start the beast, to see if there were any coolant or oil leaks while the bumper was off (makes it easier to get under the front to have a look.
The beast wouldn't start!
I think I either flooded it or or the battery was a bit flat after it's time off. I took all the plugs out and cleaned them up.. worth doing in itself.. and charged the battery throughout Sunday. It STILL wouldn't start. I have fuel and I never touched anything to do with the ignition, other than take the battery out (ECU?). It's all back how it was, so I'm perplexed.
I managed to break one of the wires to the oil level switch (the wire was brittle/fatigued in it's connector block and broke off during the de-greasing sessions (it's under the dipstick). That was fairly easy to sort.
And dipped beam stopped working! There was always a bodge here.. a previous ower had run a wire from n/s to o/s as the o/s feed was dead. It's been like that for years and one of those jobs I've always meant to sort. Anyway, disturbing the electrics seems to have broken the connection to the n/s feed too, so both now don't work. Hmm.. one for later. Sidelights and high-beam are splendid.
I finally put the bumper on, to get that job done too (I figured if I could start the beast, I would be able to use it, in daylight at least). The radiator mounting bracket was a Mo-Fo! It was subtley different to the original one - with trailing lugs (with locknuts) presumably to mount to the bumper.
When I slid the bumper in place (it's sweet, when all the sliding "rollers" are new (and present !!
) the bumper fouled on these brackets. Cue much swearing.. I was trying to balance the bumper (it was connected to the headlamp washers at this stage) while working out where what was fouling!
Anyway a light tap with my 4lb hammer sorted the brackets and the thing is ALL back together now, though with lights/beam issue and starting problem to solve.
I'm fecked dudes..