155 rear brakes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 17-01-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
155 rear brakes

Hey guys,
New to alfa's and in rare moment of sense gonna ask some advise before I rip the poor thing into little pieces and can't get it back together.
The rear discs are shot to pieces and the pads look pretty ropey although still have some meat left on them, so I've done some digging and turned up some replacements.
Weater permitting gonna get down and dirty with the beast and swap them out for the fresh ones and bleed the system, a job I've done plenty of times on other cars. Is there anything I should look for in particular whilst I got the bits off, or anything obvious to change in addition.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Re: 155 rear brakes

The rear calipers seize up a bit these days, given the age of the cars. I doubt that just sticking new pads in will solve the problem but you never know.

First of all, there's a brake compensator valve under the car, near the silencer. It's held tensioned by a spring which sometimes rusts in the stretched position and therfore gets "loose".

Stick a new spring on there and tension the compensator properly (You have to loosen the lock-nut, hang a 10kg weight off the spring arm, and then tighten the lock-nut). That will ensure that the right amount of brake pressure is sent to the rear calipers (poor tension will send it all to the fronts).

Take the handbrake off before you touch the calipers. I don;t think you have to loosen the handbrake cable as it's supposed to be self-adjusting.

The calipers themselves are regular old Lucas Girling units. They have a wind-back adjustment on the pistons, so don't just lever them back with a clamp/screwdriver. Get a proper piston winding tool (17 Halfords) and use that.

I'd work the pistons in and out a few times to try and free them up. Wind them in as far as they'll go, then pump the brakes to move the piston back out (mount the caliper back on the disc first, to stop the piston falling out of the caliper altogether!).

When you're happy they're as smooth as they're going to get, put your new pads in to gauge how much gap you need so that the pads fit over the disc and wind the piston back until you have just that gap. Fit the caliper and tighten the bolts. Repeat for the other side.

Once you've done both sides, then bleed the brakes. That's normal stuff. Finally.. adjust the handbrake (bolt under the lever itself, under the gaitor).

You may find the caliper pins are rusty. You can get yourself new pins in an overhaul kit (rather dear at 14 a side but you also get new rubber bellows etc.) or just emery yours until they slide in and out cleanly. Use lots of graphite/white grease on the pins (but clean out all the old grease and crap from the pin holes first).

Use copper grease on the backs of the pads etc. As you probably already know.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

155 , brakes , rear