Not starting 155 1.8 8V (1995) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 07-08-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

Not starting 155 1.8 8V (1995)

I've got a 1995 155 1.8 8V and it has an annoying habit of sometimes not starting.

It's usually does it in hot weather after being driven for a while on a long stretch. When I try to turn it over you can hear clicking from something and a clack form something else under the bonnet. But nothing happens.

The frustrating part is that if you wait a while it will start "as if by magic". Sometimes this could be 5 minutes and sometimes a hour. It has always done this but it seems to be getting more frequent.

Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know why this might happen?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: Not starting 155 1.8 8V (1995)

Hows your battery? I vaguely remember having a similar problem a few years ago and the problem turned out to be some dead cells in the battery so some times it would turn the starter motor over and others it wouldn't, my sister inlaw had similar problem around Xmas and it also turned out to be dead cells in the battery, we go the local motor factors to check it for free, ( i got an alfa dealer to check mine and it cost a tenner, he said not to buy a new battery from them as it would cost 90 quid).

1994 White 155 2ltr 8v
1972 GT Junior
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 07-08-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

Thanks for that. Sounds like a way to go.
AO Platinum Member

Measure the voltage across the terminals. If it's bang on 12v or less, then it's on the way out. A fit 12v battery is actually ~13v.

I don't think it's a charging problem as it's worse when the weather's hot and after a long run, which means the problem is worse when the battery is hot.

You can test the current over the terminals with the engine running at slightly high revs. Should be 14~14.5v to make sure.

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

155 , 1995 , starting