V6 Crankcase breather drain - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 28-07-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
V6 Crankcase breather drain

Hi everybody,

The crankcase breather seperator that is mounted to the back of the intake plenum, has a small drain pipe at the bottom to allow the collected oil, seperated out from the breather gases, to go somewhere. Question is, does this go back to the sump or does it just spray on to the road.

The reason I ask is that when I was working on the engine doing a few jobs, I took the breather off and cleaned it out as there was a lot of octane reducing oil in the intake pipes. The breather was full and I noticed that the drain pipe on the bottom of the breather was blocked.

It's pretty inaccessable so I used a bike pump to blast it through. After a few pumps there was a splat noise as it cleared. However ever since I have had problems with the idle running fast and staying at 1500rpm for about 10 seconds when I come to a stop. I was wondering if the pip[e was blown out of the sump letting air vent in causing the problem, but I don't know and can't see if it was connected to the sump or just hanging in space. I guess it needs to be connected to stop the engine pulling in air through the drain.

Any thoughts??

Dom B

The best quote I ever saw after a review of the 164 QV, was "From now on I am only going to buy cars powered by Alfa V6's"

Mmmmmm The noise, the noise...................
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

166 3.0 Sporto

Re: V6 Crankcase breather drain

It connects to a small (and very inacessible!) pipe on the top of the oil pump drive blanking plate. I'm trying to remember how I got at this last time I did the job...but can't! You might have to remove the dog-bone bracket or maybe the power steering fluid reservoir & drip tray.

If this pipe has come off, you will get an uncontrolled air leak and the symptoms you describe most likely.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

breather , crankcase , drain