Right hand drive conversion - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 20-05-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 155, GTV V6

Right hand drive conversion

How difficult/expensive would it be to convert a Q4 155 to right hand drive? I am thinking the 4wd will probably make it go from a difficult to impossible job - but any thoughts??
I like the idea of a Q4, but no chance for a left hand drive on the road (legally) here (New Zealand)....

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Re: Right hand drive conversion

maybe just buy a nice RHD 155 fatlass and dump a q4 lump in?????
mmmm i dunno really but i bet it will be a headache
AO Gold Member
County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

wow, what a tough law to have

would be such a big job - not something I would like to do - I guess the steering and interior is a standard swap, but the braking system and clutch hydraulics would be very very hard unless you rigged up a fancy system, a bit like dual controls in a learner drivers car
AO Silver Member

Member car:

166 3.0 Sporto

Interesting question.... Not based on any knowledge of the floorpan on the LHD Q4...but until someone puts me right, I'd make a guess that the pressings are going to be very similar to the RHD version of the same model year 155...so conversion shouldn't be that difficult. At a guess, if I was doing it, I'd start with the Q4 plus a comparable year model RHD car as a donor for all those odd bits of linkage, trim etc that you'll need. Worst case on the brakes & clutch and you'd have to fit someting like a Tilton (or Wilwood) floor mounted pedal set and re-plumb accordingly.

Like I say, interesting question.

Possibly pertinent is that the RHD conversion for Integrales was always regarded as pretty straightforward apart from sourcing a suitable steering rack. Seem to recall 'people' saying that the feel was never right due to different rack ratio though.

...right, that should stop the web forum from moaning I haven't posted lately.......

Good luck...and go for it!
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 07-06-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 155, GTV V6

Cheers for the comments. As it turns out, you can't import 155 into NZ and drive them on the road. Apparently they are death traps! Japanese imports are OK - go figure!

I think the only way it can be done is to put the Q4 running gear into my "road legal" 155 (which is an 8v). I can see it getting very hard very quickly. Might be a nice hobbie for a few years though!!
County: Western Australia

Member car:

right hand drive conversion

I have also the same query regarding rhd conversion. I live in Australia and planning to convert my car into a right hand drive. I think this would be a nice place http://www.americanautomotiveaustral...rsion-process/.
AO Platinum Member
I can't see why it would be all that difficult. If you have a LHD Q4 and you have a RHD 155, then all you have to do.. is put the Q4 mechanicals into the RHD car. The brakes, steering, throttle cables, bonnet catch cable etc. are all going to be in the right place already. The Q4 lump can't be much bigger or clunky than the v6 lump or the diesel that they managed to put in there too... so it'll fit for sure.

The floorpans are going to be identical. On my old 33 P4 the difference was that the propshaft and the 4WD gubbins was in the channel used by the exhaust pipe on the 2WD jobs... so the exhaust had to work its way around it and it was lower than the 2WD... but exhaust is easy.

Rocker on the 16V (longitudinal mount) might foul the brake servo... but the servo is right at the back of the bulkhead, tucked under an indent in the bulkhead..... so it doesn't strike me as being "in the way". It'll be a piece of cake. AR uses a lot of the same parts across the range, let alone across one model..

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

conversion , drive , hand