Front brake(s) binding - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Front brake(s) binding

The OSF brake seems to be binding. I actually broke my g-clamp trying to wind the piston back into the calliper. It moves out so it is not completely seized.

Am I doing something wrong or is it just knackered? If it is knackered any tips on
where to get the replacements from and tips on fitting?

Sponsored Links
Re: Front brake(s) binding

Hello and welcome :d

Daft question time....did you remove the reservoir cap first? Sorry, had to ask....I did it first time

Other than that, sometimes the flexi's can break down inside effectively causing a one way valve to prevent fluid moving back.

Or, it's just easier to use the hydraulics to push the piston out than it is to shove back with the G-clamp

You can buy caliper repair kits from a dealer, about 30 or do an online search for scrappers. A PM to rgwm (I think that's it!), he breaks 155s.

AO Platinum Member
Re: Front brake(s) binding

Have a look at the sliding pins that hold the caliper body to the bracket that attaches it to the hub. These are covered by rubber bellows. If you get water under the bellows the pins will seize and the caliper won't be able to move freely relative to the bracket. It needs a bit of slack to move the pad away from the disc.

Another contender is that the pads may be jammed in that frame bracket. If the ends rust the metal expands and the pad jams in its slots, so even if the caliper is working fine, the brake pad may still be stuck against the disc face.

Don't worry about the G-clamp breaking - the caliper is quite hard too shift. A pukka caliper winding tool will push it back. If it is seized a bit (remove the master cylinder lid first) the a good workout with the tool will free it up.

Finally, the hoses could be falling apart internally, so new hoses will sort that. Take care with the bolt connecting the flexy hose to the brake pipe in the wheel arch. It'll be rusted solid to buggeration obviously. Use the best 11mm spanner you have on it, to reduce the risk of rounding it off.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Silver Member
County: Perth and Kinross
Idea Re: Front brake(s) binding

If you slacken the bleed screw in the caliper before trying to push the piston back, that will tell you if the caliper's knackered or if the flexible hose has collapsed in on itself.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

binding , brakes , front