Q4 Brake Disks replacement - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Help Q4 Brake Disks replacement

I need some guidance regarding removing the brake disks from the hub, (some step-by-step idiot proof how-to will be very appreciated).
Please advise on which tools are needed.

Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Re: Q4 Brake Disks replacement

Hi Gux,

It should be fairly easy, 2 bolts hold the caliper on (17mm socket and wrench I think)

Then when you have the caliper off, there are two 13mm bolts holding the disc on the the hub, (they also act as guides when putting the wheel on)

once these are off the disc should come off but it may need a bash with a rubber hammer etc to loosen it.

p.s - you have email
AO Platinum Member

When you jack up the car and start belting the disc with a mallet (it will be stuck to the hub by rust/grime) make sure the car is on axle stands.

Biggest problem may be getting the caliper off the disc, if there is a big groove on the disc lip.

Don't let the calipers dangle. Plonk them on the top of the jack, so you don't twist/pull the hydraulic hose.

And those locator bolts may be seized in to the hub (let 'em soak in WD40 before you try to unbolt them.. by the time you get this far you'll need a cuppa).

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..

I was able to remove the discs and now i'm ready to install the new pads, the thing is, THEY DON'T FIT!!!!
Of course this is because the new pads are wider than the old ones.
Is there anything I can do to fix this???

My ego is pretty hurt at this point, but I'm getting closer.

Take the top of the brake fluid reservoir and then push the brake piston back. You may need to apply a lot of pressure, perhaps using a clamp of some sort.

Be careful if the reservoir is full as some fluid may spill out as you push the piston back.

Madness Re: Q4 Brake Disks replacement

I know this may sound stupid but now the piston is all the way out and it doesn't want to come back, even though I have opened the resourvoir cap , and also some fluid leaked from the piston...
Did I brake it?? can this be solved?

Err, sounds like you've popped the piston out...how? Might need to come off the car and be sorted on a bench. I've never needed to do this job but it should push back in.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

brake , disks , replacement