Loose Drivetrain? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 25-06-05 Thread Starter
AO Member
Loose Drivetrain?

Ello Chaps,

I am a current owner of 2 155's, one of which is soon to be retired with only 60K on the engine, as soon as I have finished removing all parts Im looking to transplant to the other one, which is obviously a replacement for the illness that is the Alfa marque.

My question to you is regarding the drivetrain. The old car used to jerk a tad when driving in gear off the throttle or on initial throttle, but not as bad as the replacement does

On purchase of the replacement Alfa, I had to change a sump (cracked) and a clutch (whinning release bearing), as well as the front wishbones which I had purchased for the old Alfa just prior to cutting my losses with that car. Whilst in the garage to have the work done I asked my mechanic to closely inspect the driveshaft and report any wear in order to get to the bottom of the drivetrain problem.
Well the feedback was that the driveshaft is OK, no wear.......so now im thinking wtf, it can only be one of two things, either the gearbox is missing a few theeth in first and second, or my engine mounts are loose. I have no issues with selection regarding the gearbox, and the engine mounts on inspection seem to be OK to me. CV joints were also inspected when the clutch was being changed and those I was told were also OK.

Im really lost as to where else in the drive train Im having play which makes the car jerk in the situations described above. The new clutch seems to have apmlified the problem soemwhat.

I jacked up the car and put it in gear, to check on the play and there was play when I rotated the wheel, probably half of a quarter turn (5-10cm? Im european lol).

This is an annoying little problem as it makes nailing it off a standing start somewhat difficult as the drive train bogs the engine down with the jerking until it settles down and starts to pull, not to mention dealing with the jerking whilst moving when off or just on the throttle. This seems to be apparent mostly in first or second, although it can be forced to do it in third but not as apparent.......sounds like a box problem huh

I wish the Germans build the drivetrain and the Italians build the engines

Any ideas or feedback much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 4 Old 02-07-05 Thread Starter
AO Member
Re: Loose Drivetrain?

Ahh well, I didnt expect any feedback on this one and it turns out to be the case.

Im going to get all of the engine mounts replaced and see if that cures my problem.
AO Member

Member car:

155 2.0TS 16V

Are you sure it's drive train related???

I have what I would describe as a misfire/hesitation just off throttle, this also gives a jerkiness that you describe, I'm begin to think it may be fuel delivery related.

BTW I have just had a replacement gearbox fitted after the original went AWOL.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

155 Q4

dont the layshafts wear on the 155 box ? i think there is a replacement but not sure it would give your symptoms

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

drivetrain , loose