cuttin out ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 19-05-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8

Crazed cuttin out ?

hi yall
can some one guide me ? my car is cuttin out when stationary or when you give her a little gas when settin off at lights ??
she can be fine fo a few days but then it'll happen loads ?
it also happens when travelin at 40-50 in 4th apply a little gas and cut out then half a second later she will come back to life ??
any help would be a great help
cheers ya'll
Sponsored Links
Re: cuttin out ?

Lambda, AFM or perhaps idel actuator

AO Member
Re: cuttin out ?

I had the same symptons on my v6, it disapeared when I changed the throttle potentiometer.

I only changed it though initially because I was searching for another problem (which turned out to be the air meter), and noticed that the resistance of the pot was not quite what the manual said it should be. Mine was measuring 1K Ohm between pins 2 and 3 with the throttle closed, and only 2.4K Ohm fully open (whereas it should be 2.7K Ohm fully open) which in itself may have been losing me some full throttle power as the pot on the alfa does not seem to be wired as a potential divider.

Anyway I think the track inside the pot had worn so sometimes it would make a bad contact as it crossed one area and cut out for half a second or so as the car suddenly saw a closed throttle. Remember a closed throttle when the revs are above 1300rpm tells the ecu to go into overrun mode which cuts all fuel as if you were coasting down a hill with closed throttle. The suddenly resume where it was.

It is a very sudden cut not just a rough patch, at first when it was happening as I was getting back on the throttle out of a roundabout I thought that I was catching the brake pedal with the side of my foot, it was that abrupt.

Hope this solves your problem too.

The best quote I ever saw after a review of the 164 QV, was "From now on I am only going to buy cars powered by Alfa V6's"

Mmmmmm The noise, the noise...................

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155