Is it safe to jumpstart? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Is it safe to jumpstart?

I've been told by my service advisor before that jumpstarting the 155 could fry the ECU, is that true? am kinda not really convinced with what he says coz of some problems he failed to solve with the car so I moved to another service center but that warning makes me wonder if he's telling me the truth
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

MINI Cooper

Re: Is it safe to jumpstart?

Yes I think it is possible that you could damage it .....

Voltage "spikes" can destroy some electrical components through-out the vehicle not just the engine management system. These spikes last only for fractions of a second but depending on the quality of components used they can burn the components out on the car being started. Some cars will generate voltages up-to 200v just briefly. A well designed electrical system will limit these to 100 to 110v which is far safer for the car being started.

In the last three years or so Ford and GM cars (and presumibly Fiat-Alfa because the same suppliers are mostly used) are testing the electrical systems on all new vehicles thoroughly even to the point of starting them at 24V. incase that someone tries accidently to hitch them up-to a truck or connecting them with the positive and negative terminals cross-connected.

Basically if the hand-book or dealer advises against it I wouldnt do it.

You can jump start using another battery as stated in the handbook.

However.....I've jump started my old Twinny several times with cables and no problems whatsoever!

DO NOT bump start your car, it will pump unburnt fuel onto the cat.

Admin Team
County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

It'll only pump unburnt fuel onto your cat if you have a mechanical fuel pump won't it?

Don't the TS's have an electronic fuel pump?
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

Well, it must be pumping fuel through the engine, otherwise it'll never spark, will it?
The problem with bump-starting is - what happens if it's pumping that fuel through and it doesn't ignitre right away? It goes out the other end, and ends up in the cat.
AO Silver Member

I think if you repeatedly bump start it you may get cat problems, but I've done it on probably 3 occasions (sycuk in the middle of nowhere with no other option) and no problems, so you're probably OK in an emergency.
AO Silver Member
County: Kobenhavn

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Theres really no need to worry about jumpstarting a car from another battery or another car. Just make sure the engine on the other car isn't running and that the ignition is of on the car with the flat battery.

Safest way to do it is;

1: Both cars have their ignition off
2: Connect the positive pole to the positive pole on the other car
3: Connect negative pole on good battery with chassis ground as far away from the battery as possible on the car with the drained battery.
4: Start donor car
5: Start the other car (or try to start it that is )

Now; here comes the important part

6: Do not remove the jumpercables untill both cars have run for a minute or two.

This is because the drained battery will put a big strain on the alternator on both cars, and if one battery is all of a sudden removed, the voltage will suddenly rise and then there's a probability of a power spike that might destroy something most often on the donor car.

7: After a few minutes remove the negative jumper cable from the chassis ground, then remove it from the other cars negative pole.
8: Remove positive jumper cable.

I have used this method for jumpstarting cars at the different dealerships I used to work in more times than I care to rembember (in excess of 500 times), and I have never experienced any mishaps. If you just follow the guidelines above nothing will happen.

-- Hoygaard

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

jumpstart , safe