Petrol Pong - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Petrol Pong

The V6 has a petrol pong on the drivers side of the car after driving it hard.

The fuel filler has a new seal on it, no leaks at the pump/sender assembly, all the pipes underneath have been checked and the rubber pipes in the engine bay have been replaced. It's always done this since I got it, but as I'm sorting out each niggle as I go...this is the next to be sorted.

What else can I check ???
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

166 3.0 Sporto

Re: Petrol Pong

Did you manage to change the rubber pipe that goes from the metal feed pipe in the engine bay to the engine itself?? Mine is leaking a bit but it looks almost impossible to get at..starting to naff me off a bit now as it happens....suppose I'll just have to start unbolting things until I can make enough room.

Mine tends to pong worse when idling.
Nordic Blue
Thumbs Up Re: Petrol Pong

Hi M8 its been a while.
I would look at the green washer on the petrol cap and then check the elbows on the top off the sendor in the boot to make sure these are not fractured.

AO Platinum Member
Thumbs Up Re: Petrol Pong

If your old ship is the same age as mine then the chances are that it is one of three things.

1) The two long rubber fuel pipes that emerge from the back of the engine by the cam-belt (connected to the metal pipes from the fuel tank) are probably perished and leaking.

2) Any of those short rubber pipes on each corner of the injector rails could be perished and leaking.

3) The clips that seal the end of the two long pipes (if it's one of those after market fuel pipe clips) could be unscrewing itself. One of mine keeps going. Jubilee/Terry clips seem okay but those clips they call fuel line clips (basically a one-size Jubi' clip) seem to always come unscrewed.

Pop open the bonnet and have a look, with the engine running. These pipes are pressurised so if you can smnell petrol, you'll be able to see where it's seeping out.

If your hoses are perished they could suddenly let go and dump petrol on your motor so I'd sort this sharpish, if I was you.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0 16v SP3

I had this on my 155: It was the tank leaking on the seam where the two halves of plastic are joined.

It's not the "elbows" first thing I checked, or the fuel lines underneath or up the bulkhead. The rubber pipes to the injector rail are new and are tight.

Now, the smell is stronger at the filler cap I've managed to establish that. I changed the green washer (is that the rubber doodah ??? can't remember) a few weeks ago.
It's not a very strong smell, but enough for me to notice. I don't think the tank is split as I always fill the car right up, so would see some sort of leak evidence I would have thought.

cheers guys

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

petrol , pong