Key fob and alarm issues - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Crazed Key fob and alarm issues

Since I have had the 1.8 16V, the alarm has never worked including the remote central locking.

My car came with a master key and two other keys, both of which incorparate the remote central locking and alarm arming in the key, activated by the rubber button.

Unfortunatley I have snapped one of these key during a clumsy fumble

So I now ony have one key and a master. The key which is left, is in bad shape as it falls apart at every given oppourtunity.

I have bought new batteries for the key, and the red LED flashes when the button is engaged. However the remote centrel lockng does not respond or the alarm.

Since I only have one dodgy delapedated key, I was considering purchasing a new one from Alfa at the cost of 57, I understand that this will be blank and will require coding to the alarm header in the rear of the car. In order for them to communicate.
Is there anything else I should check before paying for a new key. I also noticed when I got the to fobs apart, that the PCB's inside whre two slighlty different layouts.

Will I require the alarm code written down to program the new key fob, or is there a method to get the header to spurt it out so the user can program the key fob with a sequence of button presses.

If I do need the code, is there a way of retriving this from the chassis number?

Other than that it looks like a toss up between a new header or aftermarket alarm?!?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
Wave Re: Key fob and alarm issues

Dom, you will need the alarm code if you haven't got it you'll need the replace the Reciever (rear interior light) aswell as the key. The new key will come with a new alarm code. If you want to see how to enter the alarm codes I have the entire alarm section for the 16 valve HERE!!! (right click it and save it to disk as it's about 4mb)
As for the code system I wouldn't bother with the dealer if the key was operating the code system before you broke it, I would remove the chip from the old key and put it in the new key (it's only held in by a couple of clips) I've seen it done on a Vectra and the cars still running
AO Silver Member
Re: Key fob and alarm issues

Inside your key there are two separate bits of importance, first is the RCL & Alarm PCB and the second is the small black chip clipped in at the front of the key as Dai mentioned. The black chip is part of your Alfa code system (ie the orange light when you start the car) and has nothing (to my knowledge) to do with the RCL & Alarm, don't bother re-programming simply CAREFULLY flip it out and swop it into your new key (Something i've just done )

The RCL & Alarm system, as Dai suggests read the guide, one thing I was told to look at is the Alarm battery as this dies and apparently takes the alarm & RCL system with it, although i'm not sure where it is as I haven't got round to that yet

156 GTA, 155 16v and a Grand Vitara for the winter!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

Re: Key fob and alarm issues

Is this the IR keyfob?
Looky Looky Re: Key fob and alarm issues

Cheers guys,
Im not sure if I have the IR of RF fob, how do you tell the difference? It is different form my 95 155 which had a seprate black fob wheras this one is all in the key itself.

I went to the local alfa dealer yester day, they want to charge me 60+VAT for the key then 15+VAT for cutting it as they buy them in blank. They will cut it and code it for me total costs would be in the region of 90!!
Bearing in mind I dont have the alarm code, the guy told me that if I wanted it coded to my alarm i would have to purchase a new header and reciever. He advised me to get an aftermarket alarm.

Does anyone have a header and reciever for sale with the alarm code. If I can get one at a resonable price it would be worth paying the 90 for a new key.

Failing that I can get a non genuine key sorted for around 30, then I will just have to purchase an aftermarket alarm.

AO Member
County: Kent
Dragging up an old thread here! Been doing some furious research as my alarm system has suddenly stopped working! Over the weekend I have been in and out the car cleaning it etc (just come back on to the road after several months of repairs etc), every time locking and unlocking with the fob with the alarming arming etc. Leave it monday night all locked up, come to it tuesday morning and nothing. I get a led flash on the fob but no response from the car at all. This evening I got some nice shiney new batteries and still nothing. I could if I wanted to manually unlock and start but the alarm would go crazy and I would have no way of stopping it. Any suggestions? I have not got the key code card btw or the alarm-off round key for the lock in the glove box. Car is 1998 and is of the radio variety rather than IR

wearing daps since 1983
AO Silver Member
County: Kent
Went to Matt's (pull) today to have a look see..

The problem is that the keys have gone out of sych with the receiver.

Had to bypass the emergency key switch in the glovebox to stop the alarm, which means taking the glovebox out.

Found out a few more things about the alarm system as well.

The receiver is 'paired' with the alarm unit, so you cannot use another key+receiver to turn it off - for security reasons. Tried this with my key+receiver to prove.

The key that turns the alarm off in the glovebox is not common to all cars, they match the car.

The alarm returns to the state it was in before the emergency switch is set to off, and also when car battery is disconnected.

gone but never forgotten . new blue

XBOX Gamertag : celadon278
Xbox Forza3 AO : Class B joint 3rd

Battle scars

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

alarm , fob , issues , key