Questions from a Newbie... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
El Toro
Well Happy Questions from a Newbie...

So now I have two Alfas.... A GTV V6 TB ( been mine for three years now) And a 155 1,8 16V that I purchased two weeks ago. A beautiful white car with the complete Martini Racing badges on.... A Sheep in a wolfs clothes.... It certainly is a comfort cruiser compared to the GTV....
This weekend I will do a cambelt and variatior change, i have read some threads and I came to the conclusion that the variator must be changed. But my mechanic/spare parts supplier told med that When I am at it, I should also change the tappers / (hydraulic lifters) since one can never know if the sound is caused bythe tappers or the variator.
When I start up the car, sometimes, mostly when hot, it realy sounds lika a diesel engine in about 5-10second, then the sound of the diesel engine reduces on idle and totaly disapears on high revs. When cold, the initial diesel engine sound on start up is less, and when at operating tempreature the initial sound at start up is as highest, but the knocking sound on idle speed is always the same. Do I need to change the tappers? They do cost around 250Eur for the set of 16pcs.... Feels a bit unneccesary if they are not the problem... On the other hand, If the sound remains after the weekend then I will be forced to do the job once again....
Can anybody give me some ideas? Thanks....
And yeah, if you think my english sucks.... Then it is probably because I am Swedish...
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Wave Re: Questions from a Newbie...

I would not change the tappets as even if there is some noise it will dissapear as soon as the oil pressure rises on start up, my 2 litre has the original tappets and its covered almost 127000 miles and they are still quiet. It would be wiser to spend your money on the tensioner as these have given trouble in the past.
AO Member

Member car:

155 TS 2.0 16 V.

Re: Questions from a Newbie...

I agree with daiblack, don´t touch them !

Good luck.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

155 Q4

dont forget to use the locking caps for the cabelt job or itll be BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello El Toro ...just to add that I agree with the above. Never heard of tappets needing to be done on a 155

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 155

newbie , questions